R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Universal Audio + Manley >>Plug-in partners  (Read 15403 times)

cass anawaty

Re: Universal Audio + Manley >>Plug-in partners
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 08:59

KAyo wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 03:14

I sense a bit of apprehension here, at what UAD’s trying to achieve.
Really, it was inevitable, wasn’t it?!

We all know UAD does a great job at their emmulation..

Dunno - I own a UAD-1 and think that UA's just does an ok job at emulation.  Frankly I find myself hardly ever using it these days.  obviously ommv.

As far as Manley authorizing plugins - obviously there's money to be made for them in this with barely any effort required on their parts.  Considering the economic outlook of the next year or two it makes perfect sense for them to look for more guaranteed income from sources such as this at this point.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Who's emulations do you prefer?   Smile
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »

Glenn Bucci wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 09:07

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 08:19

Glenn Bucci wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 07:04

At the mastering stage, when you run your 2 bus mix through your converters, the gain stages that the hardware has, it does not lay an effect on top of your signal like the plug ins, but on the signal directly.

Err, are you suggesting these plugs utilize parallel processing? What makes you assume it's an additive process?

What I meant was when I run a 2 bus mix through hardware gear, it sounds like it's part of the original signal. Through A/B when I compared plug ins vrs hardware, I noticed with every plug in I have heard that it "sounds" like the plug in is on top of the signal, while the hardware sounds like it's part of the original signal. My theory on the difference between plug in and hardware like the UAD 1176 and real 1176 are the following:
1. Your converters that you run your 2 bus signal through adds something to the sound.
2. The signal running through hardware transformers and electronics adds a little something that the plug in lacks.
3. The modeling is not 100% yet, but perhaps 85-90%.

I'm not a plugin user so I can't really comment, but unless one has heard these plugs, I find it hard to believe you can pass any sort of judgement.

If you've heard it, then my mistake, I was just under the impression no one had these yet.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

TotalSonic

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 11:51:35 AM »

Cass Anawaty wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 10:17

I prefer the hardware.

I also prefer digital processors that don't try to model and instead try to just do their specific jobs well.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

mastertone

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 10:51

I prefer the hardware.

I also prefer digital processors that don't try to model and instead try to just do their specific jobs well.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Oh yes! For how long havent companys tried to market plugs as "analog sounding" ?

Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

cass anawaty

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 16:51

Cass Anawaty wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 10:17

I prefer the hardware.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

So it's the concept you don't like.

They never measure up to the hardware, and mine gets little use as well, but I'll give 'em a listen.  Whether they capture the intended sound or not--they've got some pretty nice sounding stuff.  I'd much rather have their RE-201 than one spitting tape all over my studio.   Laughing  
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

mcsnare

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »

C'mon Brad really. Not a plug in user? Get with the program for cryin' out loud. Jeeze some people.

Dave

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 11:19

Glenn Bucci wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 09:07

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 08:19

Glenn Bucci wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 07:04

At the mastering stage, when you run your 2 bus mix through your converters, the gain stages that the hardware has, it does not lay an effect on top of your signal like the plug ins, but on the signal directly.

Err, are you suggesting these plugs utilize parallel processing? What makes you assume it's an additive process?

What I meant was when I run a 2 bus mix through hardware gear, it sounds like it's part of the original signal. Through A/B when I compared plug ins vrs hardware, I noticed with every plug in I have heard that it "sounds" like the plug in is on top of the signal, while the hardware sounds like it's part of the original signal. My theory on the difference between plug in and hardware like the UAD 1176 and real 1176 are the following:
1. Your converters that you run your 2 bus signal through adds something to the sound.
2. The signal running through hardware transformers and electronics adds a little something that the plug in lacks.
3. The modeling is not 100% yet, but perhaps 85-90%.

I'm not a plugin user so I can't really comment, but unless one has heard these plugs, I find it hard to believe you can pass any sort of judgement.

If you've heard it, then my mistake, I was just under the impression no one had these yet.

Brad, I never said I heard the Manley plug ins, just plug ins in general I have used and compared to the hardware they were emulating including Focusrite's Liquid Mix.

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »

I pretty much see this deal between Manley and UA driven by money and marketing.  Manley wouldn't be to wise if they didn't jump on the plug-in band wagon.  It's like near beer or vari mu light - Half the calories.  Manley's bread and butter is hard ware.

TW

KAyo

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 11:51:37 PM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 20:46

Manley's bread and butter is hard ware.

TW

Not for long though..
One must remember, many more users on the plugin band-wagon which is bound to out shine sales of hardware units sooner or later, which in turn, will show up on their books, which in effect can change the business model slightly, knock on effect of that could be a change in the needs of the companies labour force and the hiring processes withing Manley and the domino effect keeps going...... soon they'll be making friggin puddings!
Laughing  Laughing  kidding...... people Very Happy
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 03:26:41 PM »

crna59 wrote on Sun, 18 January 2009 01:16

Wonder what will ever become of that graphic they used on GearSlutz where it says "Manley + Plugin = Tube inserted into socket!"

Regards,

That ad is still running on GS forum...

24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

mike shelton

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »

Anybody else find it interesting that this is the first time I can remember a thread with Manley in the title growing to two pages without Evanna checking in?

Rolling Eyes

TotalSonic

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »

mike shelton wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 18:21

Anybody else find it interesting that this is the first time I can remember a thread with Manley in the title growing to two pages without Evanna checking in?

Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't read that much into this.  EveAnna doesn't really lurk that closely here as she has in the past and I'm pretty sure she's still catching her breath from NAMM activities anyway.

I certainly don't begrudge them allowing for a new low risk income source though!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Andy Krehm

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »

mike shelton wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 18:21

Rolling Eyes

Oh, I'm sure she is checking, just not checking in, at least not yet Laughing !

crna59

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 03:04:15 AM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 21:53

Oh, I'm sure she is checking, just not checking in, at least not yet Laughing !

Until someone mentions the word "s*llo*t"  Shocked

Regards,

Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

masterhse

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 08:15:41 AM »

I still don't get it. Other than for financial reasons why would anyone want an emulation of anything unless there was a distinct advantage?

Are cover bands really better than the original? Is playing golf on a Wii better than going out on a course?

There always seems to be some element of "soul" missing.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.