R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal clipping in DP  (Read 3765 times)

lord

Internal clipping in DP
« on: June 27, 2004, 11:55:20 AM »

I have a question for anybody else motu-bing around out there, Fibes, and the rest of you...

I don't know why I never noticed this in a big way before, but I'm starting to run into mix situations in DP 3 where I swear something is clipping in the mix bus somewhere, which I didn't think was supposed to happen.

Usually, I can just pull all the faders back and it gets better. But can someone give me a tip on where I could be running out of headroom? I'm using mostly the stock plugs and the limiter across the master bus.

Bussing? Plug-ins? Mix bus? Hmmmmmmm...

Usually this isn't a problem for me, as I do most of the final mixes on my board now. But I've been doing roughs in the box and running into this problem, and it's starting to bug me.

Thanks for any tips!

Gregg Seibert

Re: Internal clipping in DP
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 07:25:54 PM »

What hardware are you using for DA conversion?  Is CueMix turned on?  This was easier to mess up with the older PCI-324 cards.  You get the CueMix mixer routing sound to an output and DP sending more sound to the same output, and suddenly you are getting overs.  Just a suggestion.
Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzsche

lord

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 12:27:43 AM »

Running mkII era interfaces ... 2408 and 1224 ... with PCI-324. I don't use Cue-Mix, and keep it turned off.

It's possible that I'm simply clipping the output, but I swear I sometimes hear it even with the master fader down.

Fibes

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 11:14:34 AM »

FWIW the MW limiter plug in doesn't take kindly to the 2buss. It gets all grainy and fizzy to my ears. if you need a little peak limiting learn how to use the PSP Vintage warmer. It can be setup to a less colored setting to grab the "overs" on your roughs.

How are you bussing the tracks? How are you prinitng them? Are any aux effects sending at less than 100% effect mix? The direct signal can cause issues... Is it possible to post a screen shot?

Hmmm?
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

lord

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 11:39:09 AM »

Hey Fibes... thanks for the note.

I'm in agreement with you that the MW limiter gets pretty assy. I've never used the PSP warmer, but maybe I should. I'm really not a plug junkie. In general my projects are super light on plug-ins. Sometimes I have a drum sub bus or something like that ... but that's not usually where I hear the problems.

I'm usually bouncing to disk. But I hear the problems on playback, not on the bounce.

I like seeing all those meters lit up full, but it sure seems to sound better when the whole mix is something like 20 db down and you pump the master up to full scale afterwards. I must be loosing it.

Gregg Seibert

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 01:54:31 PM »

Just FYI, there are subtle differences in where you use the MW limiter on your final output.  When assigned to a hardware 'Master' out, plugs work in 24 bit fixed mode.  If you assign your tracks to one of the DP internal busses, the plugs stay in 32 bit float.  Then you assign the internal bus to the physical "master" out and don't touch that fader.

You said this only occurs on playback after a bounce to disk.  Not to be obvious, but you are soloing only the new bounced mix track, right?
Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzsche

Fibes

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 03:06:14 PM »

Gregg Seibert wrote on Mon, 28 June 2004 13:54

Just FYI, there are subtle differences in where you use the MW limiter on your final output.  When assigned to a hardware 'Master' out, plugs work in 24 bit fixed mode.  If you assign your tracks to one of the DP internal busses, the plugs stay in 32 bit float.  Then you assign the internal bus to the physical "master" out and don't touch that fader.

You said this only occurs on playback after a bounce to disk.  Not to be obvious, but you are soloing only the new bounced mix track, right?

Gregg,

That may explain why i do the aux mix down process and it sounds better to me. Point two has tricked me a few times upon playback, after the first time it only takes a couple secs to figure where my problem was.. hahahahaha!

The PSP stuff is so cool for the bucks bro. i think you'll get a lot of use out of it beefing up loops, synths and other stuff. It was the backbone (my first (over)use) of 'em on the mixfest Blatchford tune, especially on the drums and 2 buss.  I've learned to control it's effect quite a bit since then but it's well worth the duckets no matter what.  
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

lord

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 04:44:42 PM »

Ok wow. That's a big deal. I will take all this into consideration when bussing stuff around and out of the box. Thanks for clearing that up. I think I'm starting to get a handle on why different configurations have different problems.

drumsound

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 01:06:37 AM »

A buddy of mine recently told me that you can "re-scale" the meters in DP.  You can get more resolution and see more detain on the meter.  This might help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 2.447 seconds with 19 queries.