R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Brian Eno : Truth About Israel  (Read 19874 times)

zmix

Re: Brian Eno : Truth About Israel
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »

mgod wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 17:28

Great piece.

DS

For the truly interested:

http://www.fcnl.org/middle_east/

Let's hope!

mgod

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »

"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

mgod

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »

And here:

http://middleeast.change.org/

Lot of blogging on the topic.

DS

Berolzheimer

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »

zmix wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 16:16

Berolzheimer wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 16:24

It's only mildly on topic but this exchange reminded me of an article my niece wrote last year:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080609/tevah

What a great article... has she written more about it?

Yeah, I'm pretty proud of her.  I think she was 19 when she wrote that.  
I don't know of anything else published,  though she's written tons on her blog:

http://shirajordan.blogspot.com/

and I know she's been busy preparing to graduate from U of C.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

maxim

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 10:02:22 PM »

"... relative victim-hood (which in itself is downright creepy)"

i would blame the british rather than the germans for the rosemary's baby that is israel...

Berolzheimer

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 10:25:23 PM »

maxim wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 19:02

"... relative victim-hood (which in itself is downright creepy)"

i would blame the british rather than the germans for the rosemary's baby that is israel...

I think America deserves a big chunk of the blame for what Israel has become.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 11:39:21 PM »

Hmmmm...

Nothing new there.

My grandfather worked to resolve the 7 day war with Egypt in the late sixties. What once was the land owned by Egypt became Israeli (Mt. Sinai, and the Sinai peninsula).

Israel, in it's current form, was organized by England, and the US, and other parties, when they had their armies stationed in the Middle East, after the Great War.

"Where can we place all these European Refugees"?

"Let's create a New Jewish State, and send them there"

Thus Israel was reborn.

Here's a good question for all you all :

What was going on in that part of the world BEFORE the Jewish Relocation? Any one here know?

THAT is a question no one is even asking, nor looking at.

Why would several allied governments decide on the re-establishment of Israel (Judea)? Any one know?

My grandfather, voted against this resolution. Not because he did not want a Jewish State, no. Because he knew that creating this State would cause interminable problems in the area, a permanent destabilizational force in the region, one which would necessitate stronger allies to help keep it there, and therefore continue providing tension and chaos to the region.

There is, although, most people will disagree with this, a small chapter in the religious books, both the Bible and the Torah, in which the Lord tells the people of Judeah that they will not know a home until the end of days, when they will come home to him.

But no one reads this part of those books anymore... or dismisses it out of hand. Oops.

If they did, they would have probably not agreed to re-create the Jewish State, or at least taken a long hard look at the consequences.

Anyone want to dispute this, can go ahead and go research some fascinating reads at the Library of Congress. Just look for 1948, Jewish State, etc... to read more about how this came about. how about reading the Charter where the State of Israel is created? It is interesting to read. See who signed this Charter. Also fascinating.

Oh... BTW these people (Palestinians, Jews, et al) have been at it a lot longer than since 1948. Read up on history, it is a good teacher. May they learn from the past, in order to create a better future.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

zmix

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 01:05:02 AM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 23:39

There is, although, most people will disagree with this, a small chapter in the religious books, both the Bible and the Torah, in which the Lord tells the people of Judeah that they will not know a home until the end of days, when they will come home to him.

But no one reads this part of those books anymore... or dismisses it out of hand. Oops.

If they did, they would have probably not agreed to re-create the Jewish State, or at least taken a long hard look at the consequences.

I have a friend named Moiche Mendlewicz who is an Hassidic Jew, he told me that according to the Torah, Jews will return to Israel when the messiah comes, and since they believe that he has not, calling a country "Israel" is blasphemous. ...

In any case the Hassidic community is out in force here in New York protesting Israel's invasion of Gaza.

index.php/fa/10919/0/

YZ

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 07:03:54 AM »

zmix wrote on Wed, 14 January 2009 04:05

I have a friend named Moiche Mendlewicz who is an Hassidic Jew(snip) the Hassidic community is out in force here in New York protesting Israel's invasion of Gaza.

wow, people who are against Israel due to religious motives... I pay no attention to them; this is not a religious issue.

regards,

YZ

Careful Collapse

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »

Quote:

Oh yes, only Israel is to blame for all evil that happens there.
It's all Israel's fault.
Always.

And is was very interesting to see which parts of my post you decided not to comment on.

Weak.
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

Careful Collapse

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 09:56:22 AM »

Quote:

its all about land.

holy land.

I don't know if this is necessarily true.  Zionism was originally a secular movement (the location chosen because of it's cultural significance, including but not limited to religious).  And the original aggression against the pre-Israel state was one of xenophobia and Arab nationalism (e.g. the now infamous but secular Baath party.)

Quote:

In 1905, Najib Azouri published what is considered the first public appeal to Arab nationalism, a book called The Awakening of the Arab Nation. This came just as thousands of additional Jewish immigrants were arriving in Palestine, fleeing a new wave of anti-Semitic pogroms in Russia, Ukraine and Poland.

Two things were happening in the Ottoman Middle East, Azouri wrote: "the awakening of the Arab nation, and the effort of the Jews to reconstitute the ancient kingdom of Israel." His conclusion was also prophetic: "These movements are destined to fight each other continually until one of them wins.

Of course it has a more significant religious layer to it now but a non-trivial fraction of the cause seems to be in pure geo-political grounds and well as other secular cultural grounds.

http://www.npr.org/news/specials/mideast/history/  An informative read
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

zmix

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 10:07:08 AM »

YZ wrote on Wed, 14 January 2009 07:03

zmix wrote on Wed, 14 January 2009 04:05

I have a friend named Moiche Mendlewicz who is an Hassidic Jew(snip) the Hassidic community is out in force here in New York protesting Israel's invasion of Gaza.

wow, people who are against Israel due to religious motives... I pay no attention to them; this is not a religious issue.

Except , apparently to the Pro Israeli protesters, who carry signs bearing 'anti islam' slogans...

mgod

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »

zmix wrote on Wed, 14 January 2009 07:07

Except, apparently to the Pro Israeli protesters, who carry signs bearing 'anti islam' slogans...

Or this guy:

index.php/fa/10922/0/

mgod

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 10:32:15 AM »

Brian OK'ed this:

My mother spent the war in a series of labour camps - the last being Magdeburg camp in what became East Germany. She was in Germany from 1941 until the end of the war, when the camp was liberated by American soldiers. She wasn't Jewish.

As you probably know, labour camps weren't 'death camps' and the conditions there, although pretty terrible towards the end of the war, were much more humane than those in the concentration camps. The Germans were interested in keeping their work-force alive. My mother was building Heinckel bombers.

She met my father, an English soldier, when she returned to her hometown in Belgium after the war. He had been billeted with her parents and was intrigued by the photograph of a beautiful young woman - their daughter, my mother - on a dresser. He decided to wait for her to get back from Germany. It took some months and when she arrived she weighed 70lbs.

They married in early 1946.

XXB

PS - might be more later; there's another dialogue going on at the center of the topic.

DS

zmix

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »

Wow.. even OJ?

mgod wrote on Wed, 14 January 2009 10:30

zmix wrote on Wed, 14 January 2009 07:07

Except, apparently to the Pro Israeli protesters, who carry signs bearing 'anti islam' slogans...

Or this guy:

index.php/fa/10922/0/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 16 queries.