R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab

M7 Breakthrough Around The Corner?

(1/14) > >>

Klaus Heyne:
I have tested and retested in several set-ups a recent sample of Thiersch's new "Blue Line" (PVC) M7 Neumann capsule copy.

First, this is a wholly-Thiersch-manufactured capsule, i.e. not only does it use Thiersch's diaphragms but also his brass backplate which is patterned after the "Berlin M7", the type that has a particular pattern of concentric rings at the edge of the backplate, and which features other peculiarities.

This effort is a whole step closer to the 'real thing' than his previous attempts, and he is certainly closer than his competitors in achieving the goal to emulate the Neumann M7. Here we have a balanced frequency response in general, with just a tiny bit too little high frequency sheen, reasonably good side-to-side performance, and a pleasant timbre, void of shrillness, lisp, sibilance, or dried up bass.

Considering the trend, I am optimistic that he may succeed in the one area this capsule still lacks- the magic of an M7 to get behind the note, of having a level of resolution and speed of response, from the very high frequencies through the lower mids, that allows the voice or the music come to you, without too much listening effort. A "pearling off" effect, if you will, where the apparatus- the capsule- helps you along.

None too scientific, and probably an annoying description for the pocket protector types among acoustic engineers; but such is the quest for emotional satisfaction through the ear- a decent scientific explanation for the link between hearing, absorbing and the mechanics of getting there is still beyond our reach.

I have some ideas how to maybe overcome what may still be missing in Thiersch's M7 effort. To that end, I have started discussions with him; so let's toast to a successful M7 year!

Stephen Andrew Bright:
Based on my fondness for the sound of the M7 in my Wunder CM7 GT, I recently ordered Mr. Thiersch's M8 conversion, which is where he takes a stock M8 lollipop capsule and reskins it on both sides and makes it a switchable Cardioid / Fig. 8.

Used M8s can be found at about 1/2 the price of a used M7, and the converted M8 in cardioid sounds like his M7, according to Thiersch.

For me it seemed like an inexpensive way to get the M7 sound, which can then be used on a wide variety of mic bodies.

Stephen

Plush:
Hello Klaus,

I don't want to be rude, but I can't quite understand your description of the desired sound. Can you state it in a different way. I am wanting to know your thoughts.

How do you suggest the M7 should sound?

J.J. Blair:
Stephen, I'm skeptical about this M8 conversion claim.  The through holes are a completely different beast, and I'm not understanding how you can even mount a diaphragm on the rear.

Stephen Andrew Bright:
Hi JJ:

You are right -- he uses his own transducer:

http://www.thiersch-mic.de/en/estm_produkte_M8.html

So it is his M7 transducer in an M8 lollipop housing, now switchable from Cardioid / Fig. 8, or Cardioid / Omni.

Stephen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version