R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Purchasing a New vs. Vintage Microphone, Same Model  (Read 26992 times)

Nick Sevilla

Re: Purchasing a New vs. Vintage Microphone, Same Model
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 09 January 2009 12:57

Nick, if you want a 251, you should check out David Bock's.

Hi,

I will. Over the following months I'll be auditioning several mics.

I should make a list of new mics to try out.

I'll put these in there. Which model should I check out of theirs?

Cheers,

Nick
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

bob ebeling

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 04:14:04 PM »

Nick,
The Bock # 251 is on my list.  

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »

Bob, I meant this part of your post :

Quote:

Get in the real world and witness 30 plus other microphones being used and CHOSEN over the holy grails, everyday. Witness all of hip-hop and country music, rock, r&b, pop, techno, metal, etc.., etc...

SNIP

Quote:

So to tell someone that their only option is to join the list of 1000's trying to search down usable examples of soon to be museum mics, like it or not, is narrow-minded and unfortunate.

SNIP

Quote:

Bring on the firestorm!

Rolling Eyes

This post is not helpful for someone like me who is looking for advice as to what to do about investing a large sum of money in microphones.

Cheers
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Tobbe

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »

Hello. maby the reason why new mics are used instead of an vintage mic is  the vintage mics condition and there are not so many around. I have one U47 and one UM57 that I use as much as possible. I have friends that have U47,M49,Sela mics and so on and the problem with they not always using this mics is that it needs  service in varius ways. For Example tubes that not are completely relyable, One M7 capsule that need service and so on.I dont know much about bock mics but I have one U195 that are ok. What I understand he is great with service and support. Telefunken USA is company that should look over quality and customer service and I would never pay so much money for a U47 cloone from them.Better to buy a Wagner. Just my experience.
Regards
Tobias

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »

Thanks tobbe for the insight.

I am going to listen to some Bock mics, as well as others.

Cheers

www.nicksevilla.com

Plush

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »

Bob,

Most of the mics you're cited don't clobber anything old.  

I think you're grinding an axe against the old tube jobs.
Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

Smitty

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 06:23:32 PM »

Nick if you don't mind my asking how are you auditioning the mics?
E. Smith

Tobbe

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »

Just one more. What I understand Oliver is involved in making a mic called Lucas or something. Looks very interesting from what I read so far . Worth checking out IMO. Regards
Tobias

bob ebeling

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 06:44:52 PM »

I'm just trying to say that there are a lot of legit vocal mics and that one should consider a mic closet with some depth versus a one trick pony closet with finicky old monsters living inside.  

Some guys are always turning it into a 'best mic ever' post.  Nick starts out asking about new vs. old and the same tired beat comes on right off spouting the old U47 and C12 dance.

What style of music is a huge question.  When I try U47s on hip-hop stuff it mostly doesn't work.  Then I throw up a 414 and it's perfect.  So there's more than one way to skin a monkey.

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 06:46:03 PM »

At some point I will try to have two or more in the studio with me, when I am tracking some things.

If I have to do a special session for this, I might.

I do have some musician friends who won't mind spending an afternoon helping me out, playing their instruments for me while I listen back.

I will also record myself reading dialogue as well... voice only sessions are more challenging than one might think, and you can really hear the noise floor of the mic in this situation better than in a musical context.

Ideally I will be able to use the mics with the same mic preamplifier, and no other effects on them (no compression or EQ).

Cheers,

Nick

www.nicksevilla.com

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 06:49:58 PM »

Bob,
My intention is not to have a one trick pony, nor a "best" mic. There is no such thing.

I do have a slowly but steadily growing mic locker. I last counted about 40 mics, from el-cheapo to good quality standards.

I just have been reluctant to buy an expensive microphone until now, that I have the budget to do so properly.

Who knows? Maybe I'll end up with one new mic and one vintage one. Tests will tell me which ones to buy, and which ones not to.

I do value everyone's input, so that I can immediately go for testing the New microphones which in general are well regarded by people like Fletcher, Klaus Heyne, and others. This will avoid me going and spending time on mics that are clearly not worth it.

I also like being able to get feedback on not only mics, but the experience of buying them too, like being able to tell if a seller is honest or not. I don't buy expensive stuff often, so I am happy that this forum exists, so that I can better judge what I am doing.

Cheers,

Nick

www.nicksevilla.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »

Bob, I'm sorry but there is nothing that gives you that mid range and low end magic that a VF14 equipped U47 does.  I've tried many, many different mics, hoping to find it, and none did that thing.  So, in terms of replicating what  U47 does, I can't find anything to "clobber" it.

As well, I have yet to discover anybody who has equaled what I love about the CK12  capsule.  I have yet to hear Tim's copy, but there are no production mics that feature it anyway.  So, when that response is desired, I need an actual healthy CK12 capsule.  I certainly have not heard anybody "clobber" that sound.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

bob ebeling

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »

It's hard runnin' up against the status quo.  Hope you try some of the cool new stuff though.  Wunder and Flea are pretty cool options.  There are alot of new manufacturers putting out pretty amazing stuff.  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »

Hi JJ,

I decided not to buy that ELAM 251E. the seller was not able to give me confidence, even though supposedly, the mic is authentic, and in good shape. I simply got a weird vibe while talking to the guy, and he refused to give me 2 references I could talk to about him, in order to establish his credibility. he was 'offended' by my asking him for this. I get asked sometimes to provide this, and do not consider it an insult, on the contrary.

I will keep looking for a good example of a U47 and a C12, since I see that the ELAM originals are quite steep in price, and my experience with the ones I have used in the past were mixed, so this would not be my first choice in a mic purchase.

In the end, I will probably buy a mic that is close to the ELAM 251, like the Bock251 or similar ones. After I listen to it, of course...

If you know of someone who is selling a U47 or an AKG C12, let them know there is a good serious person here who won't waste their time, or will try to lowball them.

Cheers,

Nick

www.nicksevilla.com

bob ebeling

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 07:09:28 PM »

Totally agree JJ.  So it comes down to a c12 capsule or a vf14 tube.  That's really it.  Nothing hits quite like a 660 on drums.  Love those v76's.  1073's are wonderful.  EQP-1A.    

There are other things man.  Maybe I'm just over it, but I'm not, I'm always coming back to it.  Part of the fun is the endless search for new sounds.

Nick, glad to hear you're gonna investigate.  Hope you end up with some killer mics no matter what.  

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.