R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RFZ shaped control room..  (Read 12169 times)

Chris Griffith

RFZ shaped control room..
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:43:46 PM »

I've been changing designs around a bunch for my new control room.  

I've finally decided to build a 10'x14'x19' room.  

The thing I cant decide is if to build it as a rectangle or have the walls go from 12' to 16' wide and ceiling angling from 9' to 11' (smaller in the front larger in the back).  I'd still be in the same 1:1.4:1.9 ratio.  

Is it worth the extra hassle of framing the room with angled walls and ceiling or should I just build a rectangle with absorption at the first reflection points?

The back wall of the room will be HEAVILY trapped and have RPG skylines for diffusion.

Thomas Jouanjean

Re: RFZ shaped control room..
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:52:15 AM »

When building a shaped control room, ratios that apply to rectangular rooms don't necessarily apply anymore - depending on the kind of shape. For cockpit / non-environmental / FTB rooms, they don't matter much at all anymore. Of course, your room still needs to have proper dimensions, but for other concerns than purely modal behaviour.

If you decide to build such a room, don't forget to leave a lot of space for the treatment on/of side walls and ceiling and think about the fact that LF surfacic behaviours is amplified in shaped rooms. Beware of treatment near and behind your backwall diffusors. You have to manage the LF energy that will go through them and avoid having re-emission and resonances there (which happens everytime and has to be adressed!).

Also it gets real complicated to calculate pressure points in shaped rooms, but take the time to do it right and pay close attention to all that during build.

But IMVHO, unless you know exactly what you're doing, I wouldn't put my fingers into room shaping - leave this to a designer, as it's so very easy to miss it.

Keep us posted!

Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

Chris Griffith

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »

Thank you so much for the info!

So would you recommend just building a 1:1.4:1.9 ratio rectangle and treating it heavily?  

I have A TON of insulation (fiberglass,rockwool, and cellulose) I was planning on using in the room.  I have enough to fill about half the cubic space of the room if I needed to.  So broadband absorption won't be a problem.

I tend to like drier and darker sounding rooms so too dead is not a problem for me.  

Obviously this is your job and you can't design me a room but I'd love to hear any sort of advice you can give for a (relatively) foolproof decent sounding room.  I understand it won't be perfect since I'm doing it myself but hopefully I can build something that over time can be turned into something usable.    

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:51:28 AM »

What's the exact type & density of the insulation you have?
Thomas Jouanjean

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers

Chris Griffith

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

I have a lot of varying insulation.  I have several contractors in my family and they've been saving me insulation left over from jobs for years.  

I have enough pink fluffy insulation (mainly R13 and R19, very little density) to insulate an average sized house.  It still has the paper backing which I'm planning on removing.  

Add to that about 30 bags of blow in cellulose still in bags and about 25 pieces of 2" and 3" rockwool used in my previous studio setup.  The rockwool is 8lbs per foot so its a little denser then 705.  

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »

The pink stuff isn't too useful I'm afraid - but removing the paper on it is indeed a good step towards making it useable.

Lemme see what can be done with all this.

What type of speakers do you have? Have any quick drawing of your room?
Thomas Jouanjean

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers

Chris Griffith

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »

Here's a rough sketch of the space.  As you can see I'm limited to roughly 19' 6" in either length or width so I was thinking of building the room 10x14x19.  I could go larger if there's another ratio that would work.  Ceiling height can go up to about 12'6" inside the building.  

index.php/fa/10871/0/

Whatever space that isn't used up by the control room will be the lounge.  

I had always heard that pink stuff inside large traps was fairly effective.  I've seen a couple big build diaries that have gigantic traps filled with fluffy insulation and covered with a layer of rockwool or 705.  

Either way I have tons of insulation choices to choose from and am open to buying more if need be.  

Chris Griffith

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:33 PM »

Forgot to mention speakers are focal twin 6's, adam a7's and NS10's.  

Once I'm done with the studio I'll probably be selling the focals and adams and buying a pair adam S3a's.  Unless of course the twins start sounding better to me in my new room.  

rankus

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »

Hope that bathroom has a decent exhaust fan  Shocked  Embarassed  Very Happy

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Chris Griffith

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »

Actually I had to put a better one in there. It was no fun at all until I got a good one!  At least it has a fairly tall ceiling.  

Moving one of the walls out is on my list of things to do once the control room is finished.  

Chris Griffith

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »

I'm about to begin framing tomorrow and plan on building a 10x14x19 foot rectangle and figuring out the treatment afterwards.  

The doors will be placed in the middle back of the room so they won't be in the way of any corner trapping.  

Stop me if I'm doing anything wrong!

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 02:11:18 AM »

Chris Griffith wrote on Wed, 14 January 2009 19:52

I'm about to begin framing tomorrow and plan on building a 10x14x19 foot rectangle and figuring out the treatment afterwards.  

The doors will be placed in the middle back of the room so they won't be in the way of any corner trapping.  

Stop me if I'm doing anything wrong!

Aarrgh, sorry, I didn't have time to have a good look at your room - so very busy here.

If you can wait for monday...
Thomas Jouanjean

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers

Chris Griffith

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »

Its too bad but I don't think I can.  

I'm getting help from my brother with the framing and have to work off his schedule.  We'll either begin this evening or tomorrow morning.  If it were up to me I'd wait but my brother and his company start a big job next week and I'll no longer be able to get his help.  

I'll still be looking for help as far as room treatments.  Hopefully the shell I'm building now will suffice.   At least it looks good using a mode calculator and I don't mind giving up a lot of space for treatments.  

I feel stupid for not waiting but I have no other options.. Sad

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:54:24 PM »

Are square rooms a bad thing? What if the tracking room and the control room are the exact same size and both are square? Should
each be acoustically treated the same, so that they sound the same with a given source in the exact same spot within each room or should one or the other be deadened to some degree?

Foregive me if this should be a new post, or if the exact information I desire is already here somewhere. I can never find it when they are using the search engine.

TYVM
AB
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Ethan Winer

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Wed, 04 February 2009 14:54

Are square rooms a bad thing?

Yes. More here:

Graphical Mode Calculator

Quote:

What if the tracking room and the control room are the exact same size and both are square?

If the rooms are small you'd do well to remove the dividing wall and have one larger room, if possible.

Quote:

Should each be acoustically treated the same

Not necessarily. The goals for a live room are different from those for a control room. But the size of the room is a big factor. Without knowing that I can't even guess what to suggest.

--Ethan
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.