R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix Dreaming anyone?  (Read 5936 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

Re: Mix Dreaming anyone?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »

Affirmative Adam. Thanks. Now if I wanted to use the MTC along with the MD, how would, should or could I wire that up correctly as it doesn't have obvious inputs that I am familiar with...some of it's inputs/outputs I don't even know what are for...has 4 2 track outs, and 3 pair of monitor speaker outputs. That I can see. I feel like an idiot trying to figure out how all this stuff should be wired up. Confused It helps if things are labled obviously. Usually I can catch on to the obvious. When I see "Headphone Out" or a headphone cymbal I know I can plug headphones in there. "Cue Mix" and "Musician" and "Slave" I'm not so sure if those are inputs or outputs. I bet there is a manual for all this. I just thought of that. Typical.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

el duderino

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

does the mix dream always send signal to the direct outs?

I know the "no-mix" switch takes the signal out of the 2-bus and feeds the direct out but i couldn't find anything stating if that is the ONLY way signal is sent to the direct outs. I'm currently debating between a summing box and a Toft ATB, and the direct outs on the mix dream could solve my needs for flexible cue mixes

mixwell

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »

el duderino wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 11:25

Yea, the Direct Outputs are always in motion. Anything you patch into the channel inputs, will feed Direct output without question.
Quote:

Affirmative Adam. Thanks. Now if I wanted to use the MTC along with the MD, how would, should or could I wire that up correctly as it doesn't have obvious inputs that I am familiar with...some of it's inputs/outputs I don't even know what are for...has 4 2 track outs, and 3 pair of monitor speaker outputs. That I can see. I feel like an idiot trying to figure out how all this stuff should be wired up. Confused It helps if things are labled obviously. Usually I can catch on to the obvious. When I see "Headphone Out" or a headphone cymbal I know I can plug headphones in there. "Cue Mix" and "Musician" and "Slave" I'm not so sure if those are inputs or outputs. I bet there is a manual for all this. I just thought of that. Typical.

Here is the deal Adam;

The SPL MTC is as versatile as a monitor controller can get. You have several well thought out features in that box, that for the purpose of this discussion, we'll leave out for the time being. What you want to pay attention to, is the multiple stereo inputs on the MTC that will in result, feed your monitoring system with a really high quality attenuator before the speakers. You also have a Monitor feed on XLR from the Mix Dream, [in addition to another master buss output from the DB25 on the rear] so in reality you have three ways of feeding stereo signal from the Summing device to your monitors. One could feed a cue system, one could feed your MTC, and one could feed an AD converter in effort to print the stereo mix. This is not how I do it, but its just an example. You would either patch the master buss outputs, or the monitor outputs [which is also another way to directly patch a cue feed to another amplifier] into the SPL MTC, so that you are monitoring the result without trimming or attenuating the master buss. Now, perhaps the MTC is a great choice for you, but if all the features are not needed for your applications, than I would advise checking out the Coleman range of monitor controllers, and in particular the M3PH MK2. Its Everything you need and nothing you don't, with as little electronics in the path as possible.

breathe

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »

I strongly recommend the Coleman M3PH MK2,  I own one and it has performed flawlessly.  The design is painfully simple and the sound is completely transparent.  I have Output #3 set to normalled and feeding the Aphex line unbalancer feeding my home stereo.  I'm going to get a Dynaco Stereo 70 home stereo amplifier and might consider buying another Coleman as the selector/controller instead of buying a traditional home stereo preamp.

Nicholas

[quote title=mixwell wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 11:31]

I would advise checking out the Coleman range of monitor controllers, and in particular the M3PH MK2. Its Everything you need and nothing you don't, with as little electronics in the path as possible.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »

mixwell wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 13:31

Yea, the Direct Outputs are always in motion. Anything you patch into the channel inputs, will feed Direct output without question.
Quote:

Here is the deal Adam;

The SPL MTC is as versatile as a monitor controller can get. You have several well thought out features in that box, that for the purpose of this discussion, we'll leave out for the time being. What you want to pay attention to, is the multiple stereo inputs on the MTC that will in result, feed your monitoring system with a really high quality attenuator before the speakers. You also have a Monitor feed on XLR from the Mix Dream, [in addition to another master buss output from the DB25 on the rear] so in reality you have three ways of feeding stereo signal from the Summing device to your monitors. One could feed a cue system, one could feed your MTC, and one could feed an AD converter in effort to print the stereo mix. This is not how I do it, but its just an example. You would either patch the master buss outputs, or the monitor outputs [which is also another way to directly patch a cue feed to another amplifier] into the SPL MTC, so that you are monitoring the result without trimming or attenuating the master buss. Now, perhaps the MTC is a great choice for you, but if all the features are not needed for your applications, than I would advise checking out the Coleman range of monitor controllers, and in particular the M3PH MK2. Its Everything you need and nothing you don't, with as little electronics in the path as possible.

I understand I would use the labled XLR "Monitor Out" of the Mix Dream to feed the MTC. What I don't understand is where on the back of the MTC would I plug those lines in, as there isn't anything labled on the back as an "input". Would it be the "Mix"? Is that the input?

Sorry this has become so long winded, and such an ordeal.

Adam Brown

No File Selected.

mixwell

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 12:36:54 PM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 16:16

I understand I would use the labled XLR "Monitor Out" of the Mix Dream to feed the MTC. What I don't understand is where on the back of the MTC would I plug those lines in, as there isn't anything labled on the back as an "input". Would it be the "Mix"? Is that the input?

Sorry this has become so long winded, and such an ordeal.

Here is a handy example of how you would go about wiring the unit; http://www.soundperformancelab.com/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte/mtc_2381/mtc_2381_verkabelung_E_1024.jpg

Your thinking is correct; you would take you 2-buss feed into the "Mix" TRS balanced +4 inputs. When you are ready to print the stereo mix buss from the MD, you would patch the Master Buss [MAIN] Outs, to two channels of AD converters, which would intern feed two channels of DA converters, which would intern feed a 2-track Return on the MTC. This would give you the ability to switch between PRE and POST 2-buss AD/DA, so that you can monitor the resulting signal and observe the golden rule of recording, always monitor the record inputs!  

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 12:17:04 AM »

That is what I'm talking about. Awesome! Thanks Adam. Diagrams make it so much easier for me to figure things like that out. I need pictures...lol.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.