R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Good Topic (food)  (Read 11262 times)

Vertigo

Re: Another Good Topic (food)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »

Awesome Keith, thank you so much! I'm definitely going to try that next week as soon as I clear out all my leftovers. I notice you take the same approach I do as far as amounts of ingredients go (I pretty much wing it too). It wasn't until recently that I ever started making an effort to take note of specific measurements in my recipes. I've tried CTM several times and the results have never been "great". I'm dying to try this!

Quote:

Things would have to get really rough before I willingly ate tree-rat.

I'm not opposed to eating tree rat, but I'd have to be REALLY hungry. My dog nabs the little buggers all the time and leaves their furry little corpses by the back door of the studio as "gifts". I do get tired of having to bag them and hide them in the trash so maybe eating them would be a good alternative (LOL).

I have an original pressing of "The Joy of Cooking" that has an entire section devoted to squirrels and other wild game, along with this nifty diagram:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/332420464_de0892159f.jpg

-Lance

Taproot

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 01:41:22 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Wed, 07 January 2009 11:07

I'm not opposed to eating tree rat, but I'd have to be REALLY hungry.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing I figured that recipe would "stir the pot" a little. From some of the reactions, I'm glad I decided not to post the "before" picture. While certainly not one of my go-to dishes, I can cook a mean Squirrel fare. I made that one up as I went along and it was phenomenal.

I think it's pretty obvious that my specialty is game. Wild Boar are everywhere around here now, so I should have a nice wild pork recipe soon.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Berolzheimer

Re: Another Good Topic
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 03:39:40 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 23:28

Edvaard wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 22:52

Quinoa ('Kin-wah'

I prefer the other acceptble pronunciqtion of (Key-no-wa). Great stuff! I even have the kids eating like rice as a side dish. Roast some pine nuts in a tad of oil and use low sodium chicken broth instead of water. Maybe a sprinkle of Italian parsley... Wow.

I love Quinoa.  In fact I'm about to eat some that I have here in the fridge at work that my wife made, with carrot juice & zucchini & snap peas.  I'll see If I can get the recipe from her & post it here.
I also like it just with some toasted sesame oil, which brings out the nuttiness of it, and tamari.  As a vegetarian it's a great source of balanced proteins, every bit as good as soy.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Edvaard

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 11:31:15 PM »

Berolzheimer, I'm sorry I mispelled your name in my earler post.

And Jason, my niece pronounces Quinoa closer to the way you describe it (being that she had it for breakfast or lunch sometimes, whilst under my roof), so I'll take it as a "two vs. one" vote on the pronunciation there.

But we can also now get into some particular condiments and cullinary accoutrements concerning both Quinoa and Amaranth.

"Plantation" brand Black Strap Molasses (un-sulphered), (just a spoon or so), adding then some one or two spoons of pre-soaked black currants (or, 're-constituted', to put it in the ungainly terms of cookbooks), and if not totally vegan, some small slab of butter or somewhat larger bit of yoghurt.

But what I like about any of these grains, along with any variety of "good" rice, is that you can just cook a larger portion of it, and the day or two later, toss whatever other left-overs onto/into it.

Sprouted sunflower seeds, let's not forget those.

(Yes, 'bachelor' here, I'm sure you've not noticed before this mention ...)

And let's not overlook the value in terms of 'tastyness' of a few other items here.

The 'Bragg Liquid Aminos' is one of my fave's here (some variant of a Soy Sauce, if you want to consider it that way), and any brand of 'raw, unfiltered' vinegar both get spilt on almost half of whatever finds it's way to getting cooked here.

(I use the Bragg's or occassionaly some tamari or soy on grains or legumes (beans, lentils, etc.), but the raw vinegar only on non-starch vegetables)

Sometimes, I think my only motivation for cooking might be to accommodate whatever thing I can throw onto it afterwards.

J-Texas

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 02:01:34 AM »

Hang on there! Both are correct as far as I know! Being from the south she probably says Key-Noah, huh?  Very Happy

I don't know why it just came over me, but next time you guys do a stir-fry... try using a few splashes each of rice vinegar, soy sauce, and Shiracha (we call it cock sauce because of the rooster on the bottle)... instead of oil. I like to use a Parmesean grater and get some lemongrass, ginger, and fresh garlic in there as well. It's great, quick, and healthy.

Edit. Correct spelling(I think) is Sriracha.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Tomas Danko

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 02:45:35 AM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Wed, 07 January 2009 20:39

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 23:28

Edvaard wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 22:52

Quinoa ('Kin-wah'

I prefer the other acceptble pronunciqtion of (Key-no-wa). Great stuff! I even have the kids eating like rice as a side dish. Roast some pine nuts in a tad of oil and use low sodium chicken broth instead of water. Maybe a sprinkle of Italian parsley... Wow.

I love Quinoa.  In fact I'm about to eat some that I have here in the fridge at work that my wife made, with carrot juice & zucchini & snap peas.  I'll see If I can get the recipe from her & post it here.
I also like it just with some toasted sesame oil, which brings out the nuttiness of it, and tamari.  As a vegetarian it's a great source of balanced proteins, every bit as good as soy.

Quinoa is also an alternative to people that are gluten intolerant. In fact, there are gluten-free beers made on quinoa.

I often just fry up some piece of meat or chicken (I'm a carnivore) that's been marinated in some teryiaki or spicier sauce, and then pick some quinoa, bulgur or some variation of couscous (moghrabiah or regular) and boil it. I throw in some tzatziki and maybe some relish on the side, to mix into the dish.

It's very quick to cook, healthy and tasty.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Edvaard

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 05:40:45 AM »

Hey, J-Tex, being in the south, I'm sure that we're both used to alternate pronunciations of at least half the words in the English languge.

It's not like in the North East or Mid-West, where it's obstinantly (and quite annoyingly) pronounced as "Wag!-ner" (like what a dog does with his tail, I guess there is some 'familiarity' required for the situation there), as opposed to the "Vagner" that my Macon (GA) born (and very Macon speaking) mother and aunt taught me.

It's only because of their proper elucidation to me of how to pronounce "Ricc-haard" Strauss that I can even say Oliver Archut's name half properly.

But I think Lance has mentioned coconut milk, here, and then Jason said something about lemon grass.

Bingo!

A Vietnamese cooking session, before any of us even knew it!

(don't forget the cilantro ...)

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »

Am I the only person who thinks cilantro tastes like eating a bar of soap?  I have to pick it out of my food every time I have Vietnamese.  

danickstr

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »

cilantro is in many salsa recipes.  I guess it isn't for everyone.  For me it makes salsa more authentic.  I can see how it may seem to have a soapy overtone, but it could be a case of being cooked or prep.  I do not like canned beets that much, but fresh beets roasted in the oven are a totally different experience.  

Maybe if you had some really nice fresh cilantro in a salsa recipe you would like it.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »

I suppose anything is possible.   Not a big fan of salsa in general, so maybe that's why I find the taste unfamiliar.

There is a vietnamese resturant next door to my apartment building.  They make great food, I just find the cilantro that's usually in it to be the weakest link.

Any kind of meat with a sauce made of coconut milk and curry is OK in my book.  I think I'd probably even give curried squirrel a try (at least once anyway).

Taproot

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 11:36:51 AM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Thu, 08 January 2009 06:03

Am I the only person who thinks cilantro tastes like eating a bar of soap?

OH MY GOD, I'd put Cilantro on ice cream. Love it.

Here's another favorite that can go herbivore or carnivore:

SMOKED CABBAGE:

1 extra large head of cabbage
1/2 pound of smoked sausage, sliced thin (or your favorite meat substitute)
1/2 Ground beef, venison, whatever
1-2 cups of your favorite rice (cooked halfway)
3-4 carrots chopped
2-3 cloves Garlic chopped
1 apple cored and chopped
1 large onion chopped
1 T Fennel seed or ground fennel
Salt/pepper to taste
Maybe even some Cilantro (what the hell)

Hollow out the stem end of the cabbage to basically make a big bowl. Slather, very liberally, the inside with soft butter. Mix all ingredients above in a large bowl and pour into your cabbage bowl. Wrap loosely in aluminum foil to let the steam cover the inside as well as the outside of the cabbage. Put on smoker for 3-4 hours at 250-300 degrees. I open it up for about 30 minutes at the end to catch a hint of smoke flavor. I usually quarter the whole thing like an apple in a large pot or bowl and mix a little. Enjoy.

The flavor of this one is unreal.

Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

T. Mueller

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 11:37:47 AM »

I'm going with a +1 on the "kee-NWAH" pronunciation.  

Jay Kadis

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Thu, 08 January 2009 05:03

Am I the only person who thinks cilantro tastes like eating a bar of soap?  I have to pick it out of my food every time I have Vietnamese.  
No, I detest it although I seem to tolerate it in salsa if it's overpowered by chiles and onions.  There are certain chemicals that some people can taste and others cannot: maybe there's something like that in cilantro.

ssltech

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »

Cilantro leaves I can often take or leave (excuse the pun). They're definitely 'fragrant' and can spoil a dish just as readily as crown it. -Too much when used as a garnish is a sure way to 'mask' or 'destroy' a carefully-crafted dish, but on the other hand it's also sometimes a useful way to mask a 'flop' in terms of a dish which -despite your best efforts- turned out rather bland. Like other strongly-fragrant garnishes, I'm sometimes suspicious when I encounter over-use; -it suggests either an inexperienced cook, or a 'clever' cook with something to hide... although in SMALL amounts, it can contribute a light freshness, but -as with so many things- if its scent dominates, it can be a disaster.

What's interesting is that 'Cilantro' is the leaf of the coriander plant, and yet ground coriander seed I can almost guarantee you will ADORE.

Coriander seed is almost the diametric 'opposite' of coriander leaf ('Cilantro') in terms of taste. It's deep, rich and mellow, where the leaf is light, gentle and fragrant.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 12:48:31 PM »

I *love* corriander.  It's one of my favorite go-to spices (just behind paprika, which is second only to ground black pepper).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 16 queries.