R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Good Topic (food)  (Read 11226 times)

Tomas Danko

Re: Another Good Topic
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 01:40:21 PM »

Taproot wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 18:11

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 11:01

Don't do that, just make pickles!

These things were ginning! I have more Pickles than will ever be eaten in one year and I gave away and threw away an equal amount. I couldn't keep up.

Man, where you in a pickle!  Very Happy
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Berolzheimer

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 02:23:45 PM »

danickstr wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 08:58

Hey, us Greeks invented that shit.  but that is a kickass recipe for it.

In my neighborhood we get the Armenian version, Jarjek or Tchachek.  Love it.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

el duderino

Re: Another Good Topic (food)
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

i usually grill or smoke my meats but here's a good vegetarian recipe, not that i am one, but its pretty damn good even to a meat eater

1lb penne pasta
2 zucchini's quartered lengthwise then cut into 1" pieces
2 yellow squash quartered lengthwise then cut into 1" pieces
2 Red Bell Peppers cut into 1" strips
1 yellow onion cut into 1" strips
1/2 cup grated smoked mozzerella
1 cup grated fontina
1/4 cup of olive oil
3 cups marinara sauce
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese, plus another 1/4 cup for topping
2 tblsp butter cut into small pieces

heat the oven to 450, toss the veggies with the olive oil and put on a baking sheet in the oven for about 15 min. until tender

meanwhile bring water to a boil and cook the pasta for only 6 minutes since it will be cooked more later. drain it, duh.

take all the veggies, pasta, cheeses, sauce, and 1/2 tsp of salt and another of pepper and mix together in a big bowl with a wooden sppon. its wooden so you dont tear thru things. once all mixed, put it in a large greased baking pan about 9" x 13" and top with the remaining parmesan cheese and the butter pieces. put back in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the top is golden and the cheese is melted.

eat.

Vertigo

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »

Quote:

Lance, Which 'variety' of CTM do you tend to favor? -For myself it's the 'British Restaurant' version which is often a light reddish-brown, creamy and flavorful.

Keith - that would be awesome! If I remember correctly, CTM is more of a "restaurant" sort of dish than a traditional one. My favorite is at a local restaurant and is very similar to what you described (light reddish and very buttery).

I have access to Pataks paste (I live near an international farmer's market and purchase all of my meat, produce, and spices there).

What sort of recipes might you be looking for? Let me know - I cook a lot of different styles (american, southern, mexican, south indian, carribean, and italian are all specialties).

-Lance

Taproot

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »

ssltech wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 09:58

Indian food is my usual specialty though:

I have a Curried Chicken w/ Asian Pears & Mango Chutney dish that I do that is a house favorite. It's pretty involved, but I'll try to get a recipe posted soon.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Berolzheimer

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 05:34:45 PM »

Sometimes the simplest things are the best too.

Cut shitake mushrooms into thin strips, saute in butter.
Let cool slightly, then arrange over mesclun with arugala.

crumble some goat cheese over that, then sprinkle olive oil, a few drops of toasted sesame oil, and balsamic vinegar.

Enjoy.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Edvaard

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 11:52:10 PM »

Here's my recipe for "making it all good."

I go to that "Your Dekalb County Farmer's Market," place, buy a tub of Kalisto Calamata Sliced Olives, and toss one or two spoons of this particular culinary "gaurantee" on whatever I cook, and I look like a genius now.

Also, I know this doesn't present itself all so well to all here, but I never knew how to cook until I started cooking 'vegetarian.'

I don't know why, but when I did that, it 'forced' me to figure things out.

When I got back to it, I could even cook chicken, etc., for others, but I had to 'go vegetarian' for myself first, before I could figure out 'cooking.'

Go to the natural food store, and discover the wonders of Buckwheat, Quinoa ('Kin-wah'), Millet, etc, not to mention the premium white rices, like Jasmine or Basmati rice.

Ya, any variety of brown rice works too.

But good gosh Keith, that marinara-type thing looks quite some good.

I like Berlolzheimer's recipe too, and doing dishes is not totally beyond me here, you know.

I 'travel with garlick' too, but I must now give up one of my most sacred ingredients, whatever the salad toss or mushroom marinade, ...

http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=5

This particular variety of Spanish Olive Oil (and yes, you ask, I answer ... {I've tried any and every other version of Olive Oil, but just even 'smell' this stuff, and your face immediately fall's into it}), will do wonders for the pan-seared broccoli-ginger dish, shrimp, or whatever.

If I haven't mentioned before, that marinara you have going there looks pretty good, Keith.

I don't know why, but I can hardly ever come up with any recipe for anything.

I guess I'm just a 'make-it-up-as-I-go-along' type of "cook."

That mushroom-cheese thing you related to us looks pretty good, Berloz, have I mentioned that?

But I might have something to contribute to some younger folks, so that they can obtain some relevance of 'daily requirements' with a minimum of trouble.

(no, I'm NOT talking to YOU, Jessica, just sheer co-incidence here)

A third cup of buckwheat (toasted or 'raw', either being available at the natural food mart), a third cup of red lentils, a half sweet potato (or 'Yam'), a whole medium red potato, and left-over green beans, if that's available, then twist some marjoram, anise seed and maybe some little bit of cumin powder or even, if you went to that 'international mart' like I TOLD you, some bit of curry powder.

Whatever amount of buckwheat and red lentils combined, double that with water. (e.g. the 'one third' plus another 'one third' mentioned previously, would take 'two thirds' plus 'two thirds' in water.)

Either stove-top or micro-wave this thing for 18-22 munutes.

The red lentils are now mush, but HERE is where you understand the purpose of things now, their purpose now being as flavoring to the whole affair ( some small bit of pepper now making 'more sense' too, this being the time to do that.)

I know that this might sound boring to some here, but that's an excellent 'daily starter', believe it or not. (goodly amount of vitamins A, C, E, all those minerals too, etc. {yawn ...}, ya, I know)

That marinara sauce really plays well visually, Keith, I bet it's good, too. Just wanted to make sure that you noticed that I noticed that.

But supporting your own local organic growers just makes for the better taste, and a better presentation at the table too, forget the politics of it.

All this recipe and food talk, my fingers are now instinctively crushing garlick.

Stop all this Cajun and Indian and middle-eastern cuisine talk here, folks. Just STOP it.

OK, only being rhetorical there.

Not for me to stop anyone in this process. This is too good.

J-Texas

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 02:28:51 AM »

Edvaard wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 22:52

Quinoa ('Kin-wah'

I prefer the other acceptble pronunciqtion of (Key-no-wa). Great stuff! I even have the kids eating like rice as a side dish. Roast some pine nuts in a tad of oil and use low sodium chicken broth instead of water. Maybe a sprinkle of Italian parsley... Wow.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Vertigo

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 10:00:43 AM »

Quote:

I go to that "Your Dekalb County Farmer's Market,"

Wow, that's exactly where I go! I'm there at least once a week Smile

Every recipe in this thread sounds intriguing. I'm going to try them all starting with Taproot's first recipe. I find this one particularly interesting because it's basically cajun coq au vin - the same exact dish but with regional ingredients. Boneless chicken thighs are my favorite for coq au vin, so I think I'll try those in lieu of the squirrel.

-Lance

Steve Hudson

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »

A timely article in the NYT about squirrel dishes. Yum!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/dining/07squirrel.html
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

bblackwood

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »

Things would have to get really rough before I willingly ate tree-rat.

I'm not really looking to 'expand my horizons' in that direction. hehe
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Taproot

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »

Vertigo wrote on Wed, 07 January 2009 08:00

Boneless chicken thighs are my favorite for coq au vin, so I think I'll try those in lieu of the squirrel.

This type of dish is good with Dove or Quail too, if you can get it at your farmer's market. Here's a cool trick I've done with Wabbit before. Get a large boiler and fill it with water and liquid crab boil. Simmer (do not boil) your bird or Wabbit for an hour or so and then add it to your dish. I guess it would work with chicken too.

Afterwards, boil some Shrimp, Crab or Crawfish for a snack. MAN, I'm ready for a cookout now! The Crawfish will be running shortly. Cool
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Vertigo

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:39 AM »

And since it would probably be polite to contribute to this excellent thread, here is my recipe for Coriander Chicken (as of Monday night):

Coriander Chicken
-----------------

(tsp = teaspoon, Tbsp = tablespoon)

3 large chicken breasts (or 4 small) cut into cubes
1/2 cup chicken stock (or water if you don't have any handy)
8oz coconut milk
2 onions, wedged (being a Georgia resident I believe there's nothing better than Vidalia)
4 Tbsp vegetable oil (I like peanut oil myself)
1 tsp diced fresh ginger
1 tsp diced fresh garlic
2 serrano peppers, de-seeded and diced
6-10 curry leaves

masala (spice mixture):

6   tsp coriander
1   tsp cumin
1   tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp salt (1 3/4 if using water instead of chicken stock)

-Cook the onions in the oil over medium heat until the edges begin to brown (about 10-15 minutes).

-Add the garlic, ginger, and curry leaves, and cook for one minute.

-Add the masala and cook for one minute (until the spices begin to release their aroma). Add a teaspoon or two of water if the spices begin to clump or stick.

-Add the chicken and cook stirring constantly just until the pink disappears.

-Add the chicken broth and half of the coconut milk and bring the mixture to a boil

-Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes

-Add the remaining coconut milk and stir

-Serve over basmati rice.

Tips:

-The fresher and better the quality of chicken the better the dish will be.

-Be sure you don't neglect the third step in this recipe (cooking the masala for a minute). To me this is the heart and soul of Indian cooking - tempering spices in oil, which causes them to release all sorts of new and wonderful flavors.

-If your guests (or you) enjoy Thai food but aren't crazy about Indian, try omitting the curry leaves. Thai and South India are very close in proximity and their cooking styles are very similar. I find that the curry leaves tend to slant this dish towards the Indian style the most and the recipe is still delicious without them (so don't worry too much if you're unable to find them, which can be tricky).

-If you don't have access to fresh ginger, a teaspoon of ginger powder will do.

-The serrano peppers add more spice than flavor. If the dish is too spicy for you feel free to use less or omit them entirely.

-If you time things right you can bring the water for your rice to a boil at the same time you begin simmering your coriander chicken. Then both are ready at the same time (and you have a free 20 minutes to whip up a side dish).

-Put together your masala before you start cooking. I usually measure out all of the spices in little piles on a small plate and set it aside until it's time to add them. The plate looks like an artist's palette with all of the brightly colored spices and is great for impressing dates (wink wink).

-Lance

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:32 AM »

edit

ssltech

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 11:51:05 AM »

Lance,

Here -basically- is the Chicken Tikka Masala recipe which I've evolved recently. I'm actually at the stage where I've eyeballed everything in and never yet actually measured how much of everything I've been using, but here's a 'best guesstimate' of amounts, etc.

Begin by getting the Patak's "Tikka Masala curry paste".

http://www.michaels-wholefoods.co.uk/Pataks/CurryPasteTikkaMasalaThumb.jpg
(click any of these pictures for a larger image)

-Be advised however, that there are also two other Patak's products which this may be confused with: -specifically their 'Tikka paste':
http://www.michaels-wholefoods.co.uk/Pataks/CurryPasteTikkaThumb.jpg

...which is fantastic for making chicken tikka as an appetizer, but MUCH to sharp-tasting to make tikka masala; -but there is also "tikka masala sauce"
http://www.michaels-wholefoods.co.uk/Pataks/CookingSauceTikkaMasalaThumb.jpg

-Which is basically a 'prefab-sauce-in-a-can' type of deal, -not without its use if you're REALLY jonesing-for-a-fix and yet too-tired-to-cook, but it has that same old "chicken tonight" type of consistency and taste, if you know what I mean.

I think that the instructions on the back of the jar get you about 75% of the way there, but here's what I do:

~¼-jar Patak's Tikka Masala curry paste
1~1½lB boneless chicken breast, trimmed.
16oz Plain yogurt
2-3 whole cloves
1 medium-large Vidalia onion
~10oz Passata di pomodoro (strained tomatoes, make sure it's the type with NO included herbs, or Hunts no-added-salt tomato sauce will also work.)
8oz heavy whipping cream
~3oz almonds
8oz boiling water

Cube chicken breast into approx. 1" chunks.

Grind the cloves using a spice or coffee grinder.

Mix about ¼ of the jar with about 10oz plain yogurt and the ground cloves in a medium-sized dish, and stir the chicken in to marinade. -Ideally the chicken should sit (refrigerated) in the marinade for about 3 hours or so, if you can.

Grind the almonds.

Cut a sweet (vidalia is ideal!) onion into wedges, then break the wedges up into thin slices (if you know what I mean) and begin by frying in a little oil over a medium-high heat (or -even better- Ghee, which is clarified butter) -stirring reasonably attentively until the onion begins to sweeten and brown slightly on the edges. -The aim is not to actually caramelize the onion, but you do want it to sweeten, and start to 'brown the edges' in order to get that characteristic flavor going!

Add the chicken -complete with marinade sauce- to the pan, and stir until most of the chicken has 'sealed-in' a little. -You may have to turn the heat down a little once the pan temperature has 'recovered' from the sudden cooling, so that things don't burn, but keep it medium-to-high at the outset, then down to medium once it warms back up.

Once the chicken pieces are all well-whitened at the edges, Add the tomatoes and the boiling water. Stir, raise the heat and allow to simmer -uncovered- for a total of 40 minutes or so.

Check on the moisture content occasionally. Adjust with a little more water and/or yogurt if things are getting particularly dry, but in the last ten minutes or so, add about three-quarters of the whipping cream to the pot and simmer. Bear this in mind so that you don't thin the sauce TOO much beforehand... -be sure to leave room for the cream.

Serve on a bed of rice, with a small swirl of the whipping cream which you 'held back'.

Like I mentioned before, the quantities are 'guesstimated', since I've never documented it before, but the almonds can adjust the 'consistency' of the sauce, as well as the flavor. The cloves will adjust the 'musky' sweetness of the sauce, the balance of yogurt-to-paste will balance the 'tang' (...steady now!!!) and the tomatoes and cream... well, they should be self evident.

I know that there's a limit of 24 hours for editing these posts, so if I've forgotten anything or left anything out, I may not be able to add it in later on... therefore CHECK FURTHER DOWN to make sure I didn't come back later on and add a "here's what I forgot!" post further down! Wink

I'll try and rack my brain to see if there's anything else which I do, but I think that's basically it.

I usually 'taste-as-I-go' and adjust, but I think the above numbers should get you somewhere in the ball-park.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 19 queries.