R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Euphonix MC Control and MC Mix Controllers  (Read 18787 times)

zakco

Re: Euphonix MC Control and MC Mix Controllers
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »

[quote title=Nick Sevilla wrote on Thu, 08 July 2010 18:19]
zakco wrote on Sun, 27 June 2010 13:20

Hi Zack,

Maybe if you compared the MC Control to other controllers IN ITS PRICE RANGE, you might find it is superior to the other products out there. I do find it unfair to compare two products, no matter what they are, when their price points are that far apart, 1500US to almost 10kUS for the C|24 and over 16KUs for the base 8 fader D Command. That's 6.6 times and 10.6 times more expensive tan the MC Control. Maybe compare it to the Mackie Control Universal Pro, which it directly competes with?

I am waiting until I can afford an ICON. Until then I'm "stuck" with the Euphonix MC products, which for my current situation are perfect. And no, I do not go and compare these two products as they are very different.

Cheers

Hard to argue with your points about comparing the two...

FAIR or NOT, the criticisms which I outlined in my earlier post were IMO, substantial enough that I didn't feel that the MC stuff would make a large enough difference to my workflow to warrant the $1500 price tag. I'd say it should be about half that price. Hell, in that regard, I'd say the D-Command is about double the price it should be too, which is why I found a demo-stock unit for well under $10k.

Anyways, I'm glad the MC works well for you, I just wasn't so impressed...

-Z-

KB_S1

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 06:40:53 AM »

Anyone heard anything regarding EuCon and Pro Tools.
Since the Avid buyout I expected this to be a priority but so far not a mumble.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

zakco

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »

KB_S1 wrote on Sat, 17 July 2010 03:40

Anyone heard anything regarding EuCon and Pro Tools.
Since the Avid buyout I expected this to be a priority but so far not a mumble.

Plenty of mumbles...

I spoke at length about this with an ICON field tech recently and without going into a lot of detail, he explained that all future console/controller development will be focused on the EuCon protocol. He also said that this will be extended backwards to currently available products by way of some sort of converter box/firmare update. This will mean that my Dcommand will **eventually** work as a controller for Logic etc...

This was also confirmed in this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=271443&page=2

Given Avids current financial and personnel situation, I'm not holding my breath, but who knows...

trock

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »

at gearfest, sweetwater, avid and euphonix had a big presence and i talked to them at length about this

first i have to say the HUI is pretty damn good for PT, 512 etc

that being said i was more concerned they would drop other daw's but they "said" they would not, because these gave them market share into the world of other daw's

they told me full blown eucon was coming soon for PT??

who knows

i just bought another one of the MC MIX's because these babies are going way up in price soon

the new sweetwater catalog has the mc control at 1899. mc mix at 1399 and transport at 499

pathfindervikramBana

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 02:55:48 AM »

There has been one issue, which I did mention to Euphonix, and that is that when banking between channels, the units do not stop at the first or last channel, but instead keep going onto empty channels, thus making somewhat of an issue, when banking across a larger track count session. For me, it would be nice if the banking stopped when the surface reaches either end of the session, like other controllers out there. I'll follow up with Euphonix and see if they are considering addressing this issue.

Lebre

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 02:13:46 AM »

Hi guys

I have this units in one of the studios I'm in charge. This units have been here for 2 years now.

Like it was referred, it looks cheap compared to D-command/control and C24, and honestly it has been giving us some nightmares!

Pros:
- They've been really fast doing support on it (sending it back receiving it in a couple of days).
- you dont have to use the mouse?
- surround panner on screen Smile

Cons:
- Since we rely heavily on network access, we had to set up a smaller network just for these two. still, they manage to loose IP and etc. Really frustrating to have to run to the studio and reboot the small ethernet "boxy" we use (I get told off by our IT guy as I always get router and switch confused :S)
- they are slow responding! The touch screen specially @Nick which firmware/drivers are you using? I'm also running PT HD here.
- We have loads of problems involved people reaching a fader and there is some abrupt automation and actually forcing the button (pretty much like audio2u son).

cheers
j

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »

Lebre wrote on Thu, 14 October 2010 23:13

Hi guys

I have this units in one of the studios I'm in charge. This units have been here for 2 years now.

Like it was referred, it looks cheap compared to D-command/control and C24, and honestly it has been giving us some nightmares!

Pros:
- They've been really fast doing support on it (sending it back receiving it in a couple of days).
- you dont have to use the mouse?
- surround panner on screen Smile

Cons:
- Since we rely heavily on network access, we had to set up a smaller network just for these two. still, they manage to loose IP and etc. Really frustrating to have to run to the studio and reboot the small ethernet "boxy" we use (I get told off by our IT guy as I always get router and switch confused :S)
- they are slow responding! The touch screen specially @Nick which firmware/drivers are you using? I'm also running PT HD here.
- We have loads of problems involved people reaching a fader and there is some abrupt automation and actually forcing the button (pretty much like audio2u son).

cheers
j

Hi J,

I am running Mac Os 10.6.4, EuCon 2.5.5, and Pro Tools HD 8.1.cs2, Mac 2.8GHz Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon. 6GB RAM.

I have a dedicated 8 port Netgear 1GB SWITCH. Not a router, a SWITCH. This is very important. I have the switch set up to the defaults it comes with from the factory, no weird IT network setup.

The Netgear SWITCH is on ALL THE TIME.

As to your issues :

1.- I also have internet going into this box, and the switch feeds the following : 1 BluRay player, the Mac computer, the two Euphonix units, one MC Control and one MC Mix, one Samsung 3D TV, and one XBox360 game console.

So far this all works just fine.no crashes, no bugs, no resets. ALL devices take their IP addres automatically from this switch. NONE have STATIC IP ADDRESSES. This is crucial.

So my question is : Which Internet switch / router are you using? I had tried a Lynksys one before and it simply did  not work at all with the Euphonix consoles. Try using a 1GB SWITCH instead of what you have now.

2.- you mention an IT guy? KEEP HIM THE HELL AWAY FROM YOUR PRO TOOLS MACHINE, HE WILL KILL IT. MAKE YOUR LIFE A LIVING HELL.

I am not kidding about this here. Setting up ANY KIND of anti virus software, Firewalls, etc, will definitely screw up both the Pro Tools AND the Euphonix consoles.

3.- As to the Firmware, they are current as of the 2.5.5 software, which states they are on the latest version, whichever that is for each one.

4.- As to this last issue :
"- We have loads of problems involved people reaching a fader and there is some abrupt automation and actually forcing the button (pretty much like audio2u son)."

This, I'm afraid is user error. If you do not know what automation is coming up, and you reach for a fader or button or switch at the wrong time, of course it will jerk around or do the wrong thing.

In this case, practice and knowledge of the mix being done currently is the way to solve this "issue".

5.- When you say the following :
"- Since we rely heavily on network access, we had to set up a smaller network just for these two. still, they manage to loose IP and etc. Really frustrating to have to run to the studio and reboot the small ethernet "boxy" we use (I get told off by our IT guy as I always get router and switch confused :S)"

It seems to me that changing the switch would be the best first step to solving your issue. Also, perhaps buying a 1GB switch that is ONLY for the Mac and the Euphonix consoles might be the way to go. If you have a newer Mac, you can connect the internet to one of it's ports, and the switch to the Euphonix on the other port, so they do not mix.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.