R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drywall vs. wood  (Read 6365 times)

Bill_Urick

Drywall vs. wood
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:00:58 PM »

Providing that sufficient acoustical treatment will be applied, does wood have any advantage over drywall in studio construction?

TIA!
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

tom eaton

Re: Drywall vs. wood
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:06:27 PM »

Totally depends on what you mean by "wood."  Density is the key to blocking sound, and sheetrock is pretty hard to beat on a price/performance level for that.  Particle board (not chipboard, but the glue and sawdust variety) is also quite good.  I personally wouldn't use plywood for studio walls, though real wood (1x pine, etc.) can be a really nice interior treatment visually and aurally.  

t

rankus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 07:39:48 PM »

I love the sound of a wood clad room.

Like Tom says density is a big consideration... Thin laminate flooring does not sound at all like 2" solid hardwood for instance. (Although Tom was talking about transmission/absorption)

My favorite room of all time (that I've owned) was clad 100% in tongue and groove Cedar ("Redwood" in the US)... We used off-cuts from a siding company all about 12" to 24" in length like a mosaic... Free! ...  and sounded completely awesome... a poor mans Compasspoint!

My next room will likely be one layer of 1/2" drywall, one layer of 5/8" drywall covered with 3/4" of Cedar/Redwood.. The drywall to dampen transmission.. the wood for the acoustics

EDIT:  It is likely local building codes would require a minimum of 5/8" drywall as a firestop regardless...

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Bruno Gouveia

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »

Avoid drywall as far as you can. Rooms totally covered with drywall simply kill the midrange. Experienced that more times than I would like.

Keeps the humidity out though.

0dbfs

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Sun, 28 December 2008 23:00

Providing that sufficient acoustical treatment will be applied, does wood have any advantage over drywall in studio construction?

TIA!

Bill,

I'm doing a couple rooms right now.

The live room is two layer 5/8" drywall (65 sheets sitting in my driveway right now) green-glue'd for isolation.

I have plans for corner traps and a couple other broadband bass traps and poly's throughout the room.

For any exposed drywall areas I am going to be cutting thin strips of a soft open wood (cedar is my #1 choice right now) to make my own paneling...

Should be pretty easy to set up the table saw to spit out as many strips as I need.
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »

JB,

Yeah, I went with the drywall. I enjoyed worrying about it for a while, though. Lots of 703 and wooden diffusors on the way.

Noticed you worked with Klotz at one time. I did a bit of maintenance for him at PRTVC. Wish I could have gotten that Sphere console when they closed down.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

0dbfs

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »

Quote:

JB,

Yeah, I went with the drywall. I enjoyed worrying about it for a while, though. Lots of 703 and wooden diffusors on the way.

Cool man!. Gotta check it out. I'm planning to do some DIY poly's for diffusion. I've still gotta find a local source for some ~1/8" finish plywood (know anywhere that stocks something like that). Not there yet though.

Quote:

Noticed you worked with Klotz at one time. I did a bit of maintenance for him at PRTVC. Wish I could have gotten that Sphere console when they closed down.

I was with them from opening the US office in 99' till about a year ago (eight or so years). Where is/was PRTVC? I always liked the Spherions but they were a bitch to take apart.

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »

0dbfs wrote on Wed, 04 February 2009 11:41

I'm planning to do some DIY poly's for diffusion. I've still gotta find a local source for some ~1/8" finish plywood (know anywhere that stocks something like that). Not there yet though.

(Edit) Check your PM. What made you decide on poly's?

Quote:

I was with them from opening the US office in 99' till about a year ago (eight or so years). Where is/was PRTVC? I always liked the Spherions but they were a bitch to take apart.

US office? Go James.

Protestant Radio and Television-something that starts with a "c", Center?

"The Protestant Hour"?

It was at the outskirts of the Emory campus, on Clifton I think.
Around the corner from Dusty's BBQ.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.