R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Grrrrrrrrrrr... computer woes....  (Read 11688 times)

YZ

Re: Update...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 07:22:48 PM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Mon, 29 December 2008 19:34

YZ wrote on Sat, 27 December 2008 19:27

Not a single hiccup since the internal cleaning.(snip)if it does not fail again after I put everything inside neatly

Glad to hear I was wrong!

Bah...  d*mn piece of *&%*&%* went down yesterday (Sunday) again after I closed the PC case.

Power on, 2 seconds, it powers off.
Power on, starts the boot sequence, powers off.
Power on, 2 seconds, power off.
Power on, Windows starts, powers off.

So I gave up and this morning brought the new (and non-working) PS back to the store for a refund and to quote parts for a new PC.

They tested the PS on the counter in front of me with a generic motherboard (populated) and the PS worked...  

Anyway, I went back with the PS and with a fresh battery for my motherboard, they gave it as a gift; I wanted to give this one more try before parting with my cash (and buying something I did not want from their deplenished inventory).

Before opening up the case, I hit the PC's power button just for the 'fun' of it.

It booted.

I thought: 'yeah, yeah, soon it will power down again and then I'll replace the battery'.

It has been running non-stop for the last 10 or so hours.

It will probably go down again after I post this.

regards,

YZ

rankus

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »

YZ wrote on Mon, 29 December 2008 16:22

It will probably go down again after I post this.

Guaranteed!  Confused

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Smitty

Re: Grrrrrrrrrrr... computer woes....
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 02:23:59 AM »

I have a clients machine that he says was brand new when he got it. Said it had a virus and now with a clean drive it wouldn't stay on, 1st time I powered it up with a live Linux CD and it worked perfectly powered it back down to install XP it cut off and rebooted during the process. Then it just stopped working all together.

After testing every which way but tossing it out window and setting on fire, we decided to replace everything but the processor and still the dreaded reboot, so now I'm waiting on a new chip to come in.  This year I've fixed and cleaned more machines successfully then I can remember but this machine is the Devils child. Anywho could be your MB, chip, or case switch.

I was able to score a brand new older Pentium 4 MB for another clients HP machine that also exibited simular problems to yours. Put in a new power supply as well as a new drive and it's back in production now.

I feel your pain Goodluck...

Smitty

E. Smith

PP

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 03:40:23 AM »

“Bah... d*mn piece of *&%*&%* went down yesterday (Sunday) again after I closed the PC case.”

Snipped for Shortness.

“Anywho could be your MB, chip, or case switch.”

To be honest, when I’ve encountered this type of behaviour in the past, it’s usually meant the Processor or Motherboard is on the way out.

However I didn’t mention it for three reasons, firstly you had reported that the problem was dust related, secondly you had reported that the problem was now fixed after a good clean and thirdly, because it would mean you needed to replace the heart of the machine, which you might well have felt was really very bad news indeed.

What I would suggest is one of several courses of action.

My hunch would be that something either within the Processor itself or the Motherboard is actually failing when it hits a certain temperature.

Far better technical people here than I could explain the manifold reasons electrical components just fail after some years when they hit certain temperatures.

But this would explain why the whole system operated normally when you ran it with the side of the case removed, where it actively benefited from extra cooling.

I honestly believe that components last longer and systems are more reliable when they are kept extra cool.

CPU's are designed to fail safe, to prevent them burning out, and so cut out if they get too hot.

All this had gone through my mind when I read your first post.

On E-Bay it is possible to find Processors, Motherboards, Heatsinks and Fans removed from working machines and sold for small money.

It can take time to plough through the pages of what is available, but even if you didn’t find exact replacements, you might well find suitable replacements.

Remember to do your homework and check compatibility with all hardware manufacturer sites and also available BIOS.

Expensive options usually appear first, dig deeper to find the bargains.

CPU’s

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/CPUs__W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_f                       lnZ1QQ_sacatZ3671QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid=p3286.c 0.m282

Motherboards

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/Motherboards__W0QQ_catr                       efZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ4613QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid =p3286.c0.m282

Heatsinks and Fans

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/Fans-Heatsinks-Cooling_                       _W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ42000QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em 282?_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

But there is a better option.

If you regularly scan the pages of E-Bay (I don’t) it is possible to find whole computer bundles that can be obtained quite cheaply at times. As machines get older, less people want them, and they sometimes can go for silly money.

What I’m writing about is a Processor, Motherboard and Heat sink and Fan completely intact, removed from a correctly working machine where someone has upgraded these components, or has a machine that they have finished with and cannibalised.

Often the value of the parts, sold separately, are worth more than the entire machine.

Christmas may be the best time to find the old bundles.

On the market that have been replaced.

Motherboard Bundles

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/Motherboard-CPU-Bundles                       __W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ131511QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2 em282?_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

You really are spoilt for choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-D845HV-478-Motherboard-w-Intel-P4-                       2-2-Ghz-CPU_W0QQitemZ200291982396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau                       ltDomain_0?hash=item200291982396&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am                       p;_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A13 18%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-D845GEBV2-Motherboard-with-2-4GHz-            P4-CPU-IOSHIELD_W0QQitemZ320306363078QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D            efaultDomain_0?hash=item320306363078&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1            4&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240% 3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Something like this might tempt me....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-motherboard-P4P800SE-with-Pentium-4           -2-4-GHZ-CPU_W0QQitemZ220335730363QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa           ultDomain_0?hash=item220335730363&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a           mp;_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1 318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A6%7C294%3A50

Asus is the market leader.

If you buy anything, check the compatibility with any existing memory modules you might want to reuse, though I expect the memory for these is cheap to buy new.

Always check out every specification detail..

As there is a natural evolution in computer technology, you may feel that you are a place where the advantages in obtaining a brand new machine, are more suited to today’s demands, and is the vastly preferable option.

There may also be a time constraint that is pertinent.

Whatever you do I trust something here will be of assistance, there is no doubt though, the Computer can be fixed quite easily and cheaply with a little effort if you feel its worth it!.

P

YZ

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »

PP wrote on Tue, 30 December 2008 06:40

Whatever you do I trust something here will be of assistance, there is no doubt though, the Computer can be fixed quite easily and cheaply with a little effort if you feel its worth it!.

P

P, thanks for all the thoughts, suggestions and links.

Well...

The PC went finally kaput shortly after my previous post (sigh).
In the morning of that same day, I had called my ISP to order a bandwidth upgrade as a new year's gift for myself.

Before I tell the full story, the end was:

1- I had no internet from Dec 30 until 1 hour ago;
2- My phone line was dead most of the day today;
3- Got a new PC.

Thinking again, no, I won't tell the whole story; enough already.

About the old PC, the problem was a couple of capacitors on the motherboard, they were stuffed...  and I found a repairman who fixes such things for the 'absurd' fee of about U$12.00...

But he has a 3-week waiting list.

So I got a new PC.
regards,

YZ

ssltech

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »

Well, this thread has prompted me reveal the following:

I too have been working (from home, at least; -I'm currently at work) using a Pentium 4 computer which we bought at the end of 2000. Now here we are more than 8 years later and it's STILL been working.

This summer, I thought that it was pushing my luck a little too far, so I bought a new HP machine with vista, intending to take it out of the box and set it up, then move all the important stuff over, before I pushed my luck TOO far!

When the venerable P4 began to choke a little recently, I realised that the boxes with the computer and monitor have been sitting there unopened for about five months!

So today, -having read this thread a couple of days ago- I popped the boxes, and set up the computer. It seems that even my 'Office XP' seems to work fairly happily on its Vista operating system so far...

Anyhow, sometimes you need a 'prod' to stop using something which you've begun to take for granted as being reliable, and this thread has certainly been my 'prod'. -I'm most glad that something OTHER than a calamity or catastrophic failure is what's driven me on this occasion!

I'll be migrating everything to the new computer over the next few days, then we'll see if everything's still stable and happy with the new computer. (I still haven't QUITE figured out how to get the monitor screen saver to just go into shut-down, which I much prefer to all other screen-saver modes, but no doubt I'll figure it out given time!)

Thanks to all, Oh, and PP, I wished I could have reached you some time earlier this year to talk cars... -the wife and I have just both 'refreshed' our stable with new German offerings, but sadly neither of them are your 'preferred' brand... Mind you, we might yet acquire one as an additional vehicle; -who knows? -Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll stop there!

Thanks again... -EVERYONE. -Much good has come from this thread!

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

YZ

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 08 January 2009 14:56

Keith

Glad to know that the report of my problem helped you avoid it happening to yourself.

Question for the more knowledgeable: how do I change the icon that XP chose for my user? the one that appears at the logon screen?

It is a beautiful flower now, but I'd prefer it was something else...  a little less flowery...

seriously.
regards,

YZ

Smitty

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »

YZ wrote on Thu, 08 January 2009 18:21

ssltech wrote on Thu, 08 January 2009 14:56

Keith

Glad to know that the report of my problem helped you avoid it happening to yourself.

Question for the more knowledgeable: how do I change the icon that XP chose for my user? the one that appears at the logon screen?

It is a beautiful flower now, but I'd prefer it was something else...  a little less flowery...

seriously.

Control Panel > User Accounts > Click on the account you want to change and it should say Change the Picture.

seriously  Surprised
E. Smith

YZ

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »

Smitty wrote on Thu, 08 January 2009 22:41

Control Panel > User Accounts > Click on the account you want to change and it should say Change the Picture.

seriously  Surprised

Oh...  I was looking in all the wrong places...  (computer management/etc)... thanks!

Out with the flower, in with the rubber duck.

I feel much better now.

srsly.  Smile
regards,

YZ

Smitty

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »

Rubber Duckie Laughing  
E. Smith

YZ

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 01:06:58 AM »

Perhaps I should use something else as my logon pic...

what do you think of this:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6261/hippo0ot.jpg

?

regards,

YZ

PP

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 06:30:31 AM »

“I got a new PC.”

Good for you, it’ll probably be a good investment.

“About the old PC, the problem was a couple of capacitors on the motherboard”

Although it might seem overkill, this is why I keep spare motherboards as a backup when I can get hold of them advantageously priced, somewhat out of date.
Swapping out components is the best/fastest way to fix PC’s, and if they are really important, they are worth building exceptionally well, and they are worth maintaining.

I just built a new machine with a P5Q motherboard.

You can be on the internet within 5 sec’s from pressing the on switch.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14655

One of the features is the quality of its capacitors. 100% Japanese-made solid capacitors.

Long-life PWM capacitors (5000 hours @ 105

ssltech

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »

P,

I did cross-shop the Mini Clubman for my own new vehicle although it fell by the wayside mainly for the cargo area/access and load-hatch dimensions.

However, I did learn that there was indeed a wait for every type, every variant here in the US, and this would most certainly appear to back up your comments.

However I noticed that the majority of buyers were ladies, and while this is not an obstacle in terms of my own perception or image-security, it did seem to cause a problem in terms of me getting 'taken seriously' at the dealership. -The two salespersons 'on duty' -one a man and one a woman- treated me rather awkwardly, (and in the case of the man -quite poorly).

The young man seemed to rather wish that I wasn't there, since he couldn't use his roguish 'charm' on me, and the young woman to whom I was handed off appeared rather 'awkward' with me taking measurements of the loading aperture size, amongst other things... -Apparently this was not 'normal' activity for the typical US mini buyer, who may well not ordinarily consider practicality to the same degree. (I have to consider the need to occasionally transport a small recording rig, but including such things as a Decca tree, accompanying stands, mic chest, cable reels, etc.) and in the end it was the vehicle's internal dimensions which eliminated it from consideration rather than the staff's customer interactions, although they were a rather memorable irritation for me.

-My conclusion that the irritation which I felt may be gender-based was reinfirced by my having sent my wife along a few days later, and her experience being completely different, (we always go to dealerships separately, as we also did the Porsche/Audi/Mercedes dealerships, from whom we later purchased new cars).

P, -regarding the US some of my musings here in this very forum were recently quoted and posted on the Austin-Rover web resource by my near-namesake Keith Adams; -They were musings and ponderings on my part rather than a proper attempt at an 'essay', but I was rather amused and somewhat flattered none the less.

I love the story about the beer-can! -Now I think we might be able to start a fashion for an aftermarket tailpipe trim which resembles an opened ring-pull can top! (well, it probably wouldn't restrict gas flow any more than the 'harman mute' monstrosities which I witness on a daily basis around these parts! Wink

Oh, hell... I'm off-topic AGAIN!!!  Embarassed

The pleasure in chatting is all mine though P!

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

ssltech

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »

PP wrote

“I still haven't QUITE figured out how to get the monitor screen saver to just go into shut-down, which I much prefer to all other screen-saver modes, but no doubt I'll figure it out given time!)”

I would R/Click desktop.

Select bottom option ‘personalise’.

Click Screen Saver.

Set Screen Saver to ‘none’. Click Apply.

Beneath that click on Change power settings.

Select a power plan, ‘Power saver’.

Click ‘change plan settings’.

Select ‘Turn off Display’  drop down menu.

Pick from the available options in the menu the number of minutes you would have normally set your screen saver to activate at.

Click ‘Save Changes’.

Thanks for that; I've now got it just-so, thanks to your direction.

In fact, I had already peeped down the 'right-click-desktop' path, but I'd branched off at 'properties' or something similar. -When that dead-ended, I elected to revisit it when there were fewer more pressing matters begging my attention...

...such as getting all the 'nonsense' migrated from the machine which had served as our home computer for the last 8 or 9 years onto the newer one.

I tried Windows 'easy-transfer' or whatever it was called. -It comes with Vista, and promises great things.

Well, it worked very well... -In the end. -Trouble was, it kept failing (often without fully explaining why), and announcing that it would be necessary to completely restart the process, -usually somewhere between 1½ and 3 hours in.

Since you can't use any conventional cable to do the transfer (only a bespoke 'cable' made by Belkin, which -while they call it a "cable", seems to incorporate some 'black-box' in the middle), I elected to use an external USB drive, which I had recently bought to keep as a back up for my ongoing projects. -Since it is still quite empty, I thought it would be perfect.

'Windows Easy transfer' also 'looked' at it and also seemed to agree that there would be MORE than enough space for the transfer. It declared that I'd need about 60 gigabytes, and since there were over 600 gigabytes of lovely virginal free space on the drive, I started.

And about an hour and a half later, it quit, announcing that there wasn't enough space.

So I scratched my head, reduced the 'transfer' to just the C-drive, which reduced the required space to a little over 30 gigabytes, then tried again.

Once more, it gave up after an hour and a half.

It turned out that the drive is formatted FAT32, which permits a maximum size of fractionally under 4 gigabytes for each single file. -Windows easy transfer -by some wisdom which I do not profess to comprehend- bakes every little file and figment on your old drive into a SINGLE 'cake'... in my case thirty gigabytes large... -stores THAT on the drive as a single file, and then crumbles it up again once it gets to the new computer.

So I had to REFORMAT a one-terabyte drive (over USB, no less -No USB 2.0 on my old computer!) to NTFS from FAT32, which took about five hours, including pulling off the backup files to ANOTHER backup drive which fortunately still had some space on it.

Then I had Windows easy transfer try once more, this time saving to the NTFS drive.

This time it got about three hours in, and announced that it had encountered some problem with one file which it suspected might be a virus, and which it "cleared by deletion". -I clicked on "okay" and it then announced that it was quitting easy transfer, and that I'd have to start again.

I'd had enough, so I once more had it do the transfer to an INTERNAL IDE (NTFS-formatted) drive, which had about 200G of space. -This time it finished baking the thirty-gigabyte file, which I then told it to copy to the EXTERNAL USB 1.0 drive.

What I fail to understand is that a computer can COMPLETELY low-level format a 0ne terabyte drive in about 5 hours, yet COPYING a thirty-gigabyte file over the same USB connection took TEN hours...

None the less, it all went over, and now that the transfer is done; the 'crumbling' and re-integration with the new vista machine took a little over an hour in the end. Everything seems to have worked supremely well, although Outlook no longer remembers the email passwords (a minor annoyance) and the only other tiny thing is this: -when logged in as my wife, printing fails when atempting to print from 'Internet Exploder' yet works perfectly from all applications so far tested (including IE) when logged in as me. Ah well, I use Firefox at work, so maybe it's time to just ditch IE at home.

So it took a bit of perseverance and a couple of LONG nights, but now that the annoyance of the transfer is over, I rather like the way that vista is working. -It's fast, it's intuitive, and It "looks pretty" according to She who must be obeyed.

I was even able to finally enter the 21st century last night and install iTunes. Now we can both use out iPods (hers was sitting in its shrink-wrapping from last Valentine's day until last night; fully eleven months after it was purchased!)

-Now the long job of feeding CDs into the 'hungry beast' begins!

Oh, my new car also has iPod integration, including control from the steering wheel, so that made the drive into work this morning a bit of a novelty!

Keith

PP

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 03:09:08 AM »

“I tried Windows 'easy-transfer' or whatever it was called. -It comes with Vista, and promises great things.”

“you can't use any conventional cable to do the transfer (only a bespoke 'cable' made by Belkin, which -while they call it a "cable", seems to incorporate some 'black-box' in the middle”

Hi Keith!

Thanks for your kind words.

I have one of the Belkin cables, and although I haven’t used it myself which I’ll explain in a minute, I did lend it my son to use on a new computer he built, and to use on a new computer belonging to my sister in law. It’s just a guess, but I think it probably has a little timing chip in it to keep both computers properly synchronised as the data passes from one to the other.  

Vista has the transfer software built into it, but the XP computer you transfer from doesn’t, and so the cable comes with an additional  program called ‘file mover’ that you install on the XP computer, and then they sync up with the cable, and it  does work very well indeed.

If you are a person for moving files and settings from computer to computer! I don’t normally because I prefer to do everything ‘from new’ and most especially, don’t wish to carry any problems or incompatibilities over from the older computer.

I have a policy of clearing out everything periodically.  This has many advantages.

No- one could ever come from behind, take up the traces, and use readily available resources to explore, find, gain and extract deeply personal knowledge and experience.  They would be lost, and quickly out of their depth in an unsustainable position. But there are many advantages.

For instance, if you have a workroom or office, and there are things in your cupboards, or drawers you haven’t used for a couple of years, you really don’t need them close by, if you need them at all. The extra space created made might facilitate a reorganisation, an improved environment, reduced clutter and an improved work flow.

If you work in a building that has several rooms or adjacent departments, you may find equipment, furniture, fixtures and fittings are thrown up which could be placed in a pool. It can be the case that another room or department actually wants the precise equipment you are throwing out.

At least, they can take a look before they place a costly order. Inside the computers, the hard drives are absolutely no exception to this, regular ‘clear out’ but there are of course, many files that might be required, for reference purposes, in the future.

So I print out onto paper, anything I want for reading reference. Copy the same information onto DVD Data Disks, and also copy them onto external hard drives that simply plug in by Firewire or USB.

Each form of media, is kept in an entirely separate location.

Normally, I would use an external hard drive to copy files I wanted to transfer, much in the same way you chose, and thus all my drives are formatted utilising the same file system. NTFS.

USB 1 is painfully slow in comparison to USB 2, in fact, its worth having a PCI card to give you the extra speed in an old machine to compensate for this.

When I install The O/S I usually partition the hard drives so that there is 200Gbs for the C Drive. This is because Windows works on a ‘swap file system’ where the data ‘swirls about the drive’ as it’s being used.

This is why we defrag regularly. The O/S also assigns virtual memory to the hard drive in some instances, so all this extra space aids and can speed up the operation of the computer.

All the files go onto separate partitions which keeps them safe if I ever reinstall all the software.

One partition is utilised for a backup. This is a clone of the entire original installation of Programs.

The C drive is usually about 65Gb. Using Ghost in Windows, this entire original installation about 85Gbs which includes programs on separate C and D drives (and takes about 9 -10 hours to load) can be reinstalled completely, as new, in less than 90 Minutes.

With a 1,000 Gbs in one machine and 8 Partitions typically, plus the external copying drives, I am afforded a great deal of flexibility, and can certainly load both drives up in a partition of about 90 Gbs utilising standard file compression.

I would recommend Tune Up Utilities 2009 over any other maintenance program.

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

Do try Driver Max 4

http://www.drivermax.com/download.htm

It is a free program that will enable you to back up every driver on your computer to a folder which you can then burn to disc.

It will even look for new drivers if you want it to. But I would simply allow it to save and burn all your existing drivers to a safe place.

http://www.vistaknowledge.com/vista-wallpapers/bring-me-the- horizon-wallpaper/

Try this; it’s the wallpaper I am currently using.

Save file to the desktop.

R/Click.

Set as desktop background.

Here are some more resources.

http://www.vistaknowledge.com/category/vista-how-to/

http://www.vistaknowledge.com/category/vista-themes/

I read your feature in the Austin Rover site some time ago.

Congratulations. It’s always nice to have your thoughts richly appreciated.

I expect that if I explored the site thoroughly, I would encounter some characters I have known over the years. It seemed a nice site, and it’s great that people are building it with so many historical features and articles.

In regard to the MINI.

The only way to decide if you want one is to drive it.

Preferably, on roads with lot’s of winding bends for excitement!

The sensation of acceleration and speed as you drive by the seat of your pants is an exhilarating experience, coupled as it is with pointy steering, and real go kart handling.

We all have to get from A to B but the MINI is a driver’s car that makes the experience so much fun, that people genuinely look forward to the journey, and often take the long way round to extend the pleasure.

Around Oxford, there are a great many fine marques on the roads, and it is the case that some extremely prestigious ‘racer’ models, that undoubtedly leave the MINI in dust and pebbles on the straight, are caught up and then passed on bendy winding country roads.

How many people can say the production car they drive was designed by the same man that has designed the latest generations of Ferrari’s and Masserati’s? But a Mini owner CAN!

It is a totally pure design in a world dominated by committee designed vehicles that subtly steal design clues directly cloned from BMW.

Since the millennium a great deal of energy has been directed towards securing the successful launch and building of the MINI Brand worldwide, throughout the 88 Countries in which it is today sold. It has been more than twice as successful as BMW ever envisaged.  

And that, at a time when for many reasons, large bodied vehicles are under duress; It has provided them with a timely and effective foil in a market sector, in which they were previously unrepresented.  

No Brand is entirely immune to such damage as the economies of the world are currently sustaining, and inevitably there are continual challenges to be decisively addressed, but for BMW Group.  

MINI is regarded as the Jewel in the Crown.

Products such as MINI enjoy global widespread acceptance and ride a tidal wave of approval, thus it is true to say, that in many respects they sell themselves.  

When you drive past the Factory, sometimes they have enthusiasts cars from all over the world visiting for events and every one seems to have a different flag on it roof. It's quite a sight!

A unique factor is that it is an internationally loved cultural Icon, and many people own them that you would think might own a much more expensive vehicle. Madge has a Black one with heavily tinted windows.

I would strongly suspect that the most difficult part of the sale peoples task, is guiding customers through the quite breathtaking number of variants and options including the (John Cooper Works Variants) that are available direct from the factory, that make each customised vehicle highly personalised indeed, with lots of individuality and appeal.

I saw the Austin Powers vehicle while at the Plant, with the Union Jack all over it. They use it to take to schools, to encourage quite young children to learn about apprenticeships and so on that they might be interested in, later on in their development.  They clamber excitedly in the back and all over it really.

The successful product placement and deeply woven integration of the MINI product launch with The Italian Job and The Austin Powers Movies, along with powerful performances by a number of the most acclaimed international recording artists on the planet, in those films was a tremendous boost in profile for the model.

The immense scale of production and logistical demands, powerfully hinges on tremendously active inter-cooperation between a huge numbers of departments, with a coordinated multi disciplinary approach.  It involves a quite enormous amount of creative input, and practical know how, to realise the various competing, artist demands, desires, needs and wishes.  

You may be interested to know, some months back a production milestone was reached, and as a customer in Miami Florida ordered a MINI he found himself treated especially well.

As the umpteenth customer that had purchased a MINI, he and his wife were flown to the U.K. to enjoy a holiday here, with some respectable spending money thrown in, a visit the factory to see the MINI being manufactured, and they picked up their new car from the vehicle handover centre.

They used it to drive around the U.K. whilst here, prior to it being shipped back to America for them.

This is a commemorative year for the Mini as it was first launched 50 years ago, and so there will be a great many exciting events for MINI enthusiast from around the world.

http://www.miniunited.com/web/guest/miniunited2009?refType=t          easerStandard&refPage=/com/en/general/homepage/content.j sp

No doubt a huge number will tour the factory and attend additional events yet to be organised.

“my new car also has iPod integration, including control from the steering wheel, so that made the drive into work this morning a bit of a novelty!”

Like This?

Click the buttons, change tracks

And adjust the volume to your taste!

http://www.mini.com/com/en/ipod_special/index.jsp

I don’t know what you mean when you say there is not enough space. Just precisely what do you have in mind?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=chHpV2Hlt-k&feature=relate d

If you want to carry a Decca Tree in the rear of your vehicle, I suggest you explore the benefits of one of the new, extruded aluminium ‘Telescopic Trees’ that fold out, snap and lock, to the required height and width.

Or another alternative, would be the highly flexible ‘Rigi-Flex Rig’ with light, but strong, alloy ball joints, pivoting the extensions that can be spread rigidly for use, but with the supporting plate removed and the turn of a few wing nuts, quickly folded down for transportation.

Last but not least, there is the new kid on the block, the highly acclaimed, inflatable ‘Flying Tree’ utilising helium for lift and easy positioning anywhere within the auditorium, which has a light folding aluminium frame or chassis, slung beneath it for the mic’s.

Although you have to carry a small canister of helium in the car, the benefits afforded by sucking a little, prior to speaking to a petrol attendant, and the cashier, more than makes up for any perceivable inconvenience.

Remember! You have to have fun in a MINI.

And the pleasures...

All Mine!

P
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.