R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drums in the corner  (Read 3637 times)

C.Cash

Drums in the corner
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:51:06 PM »

Pros and cons???

My room is small, however I have lots of acoustic treatment including bass traps in all the corners and 2'x 4' x 4" acoustic panels every 16" on the walls. The ceiling is completely covered in 4" auralex foam. The floor is wood with a couple rugs. I also have Leonard bass traps along the bottom of most of the wall space so my room sounds tight but kinda dead. I was told for a small room its better to sound dead then to sound bad.
  So far my drums are set up on a platform (auralex)in the corner, just far enough off the wall to fit mic stands. I have had good luck recording so far but was wondering what your thoughts were on this?

Thanks.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Thomas Jouanjean

Re: Drums in the corner
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:11:02 PM »

It's a question of taste... And how your room sounds.

Some engineers like a big wood plank at an angle righ behind the drummer's throne. Some like them surrounded by gobos. Some in small live rooms. Or big. Or in very dead room...

No rules really...

Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

jetbase

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:19:16 PM »

C.Cash wrote on Mon, 22 December 2008 10:51

I was told for a small room its better to sound dead then to sound bad.

That should be "it's better to sound dead & good than to sound live & bad" (or vice versa). If you look at it that way you might find that whether the room is live or dead sounding it may require the same type of treatment either way, just in varying degrees.

I don't know about having drums in the corner, but I do tend to like having drums near a wall. In the rooms I've worked in they seem to sound fuller that way.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

rankus

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »

Clifford, what I do when sussing out drums in a room is to walk around with the floor tom hitting it and just feel how the room and drum react to each other... (Floor tom because it has both low and high harmonics.) Place the Flr Tom where it sounds the best and build the kit around it.

Corners ten to reinforce the low end... great if you want fat drum sounds.

PS:  My room is pretty small and I ended up adding treatments a bit at a time trying to keep it as lively as possible... I ended up with about 30% of the total surface area covered with acoustic materials of one type or another.... Fairly dead to be sure.

Try leaving a door open and put a mic out in the living room or hallway to get a "big room" sound...

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Tomas Danko

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »

rankus wrote on Tue, 23 December 2008 01:31

Clifford, what I do when sussing out drums in a room is to walk around with the floor tom hitting it and just feel how the room and drum react to each other... (Floor tom because it has both low and high harmonics.) Place the Flr Tom where it sounds the best and build the kit around it.

This will work, as long as your producer repeatedly shouts "That's not it!" for a couple of days as you do this. Beware of bullets, as well.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

C.Cash

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 07:07:28 AM »

Across from the door leading into my studio is a bathroom with tiled floor and walls. I ran a mic into the bathroom and left the door open, really nice huge effect, gave the snare a very slight slap delay.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

rankus

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »

C.Cash wrote on Tue, 23 December 2008 04:07

Across from the door leading into my studio is a bathroom with tiled floor and walls. I ran a mic into the bathroom and left the door open, really nice huge effect, gave the snare a very slight slap delay.

Now we're talkin!

My co-engineer likes to smash the crap out of that mic with an 1176 on "nuke"... interesting effect as well.. but I prefer mine untreated.  (Good to try playing around with that track a little)

I also usually put a couple of LDC room mics quite close to the kit.. say about 3 feet back and facing the drums. Waste height. Equidistant from the kick and both facing the snare.

Between the tight (acoustically) short room mics and the "hall" mic I can get a pretty decent "big" drum sound.

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Senad

• Real Full Name: Senad Mujagic
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 05:41:36 AM »

rankus wrote on Mon, 22 December 2008 19:31

Yeah,..just been reading about this exact technique in Stav's book...Have you read it?? Nice read..

rankus

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »

Senad wrote on Thu, 01 January 2009 02:41

rankus wrote on Mon, 22 December 2008 19:31

Yeah,..just been reading about this exact technique in Stav's book...Have you read it?? Nice read..

Yes, this was about the only technique that I gleaned from that book.  I thought it was grossly overpriced and under delivered on all counts.  (I would not be complaining if the book was $25 as it should be)

Ian Visible

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:13:51 AM »

You should write a book.

rankus

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »

Ian Visible wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 05:13

You should write a book.

Touche!

Ian Visible

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:30:43 AM »

Razz Couldn't resist! Twisted Evil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.