R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: _Good_ _cheap_ small mixers...for summing?  (Read 3054 times)

breathe

_Good_ _cheap_ small mixers...for summing?
« on: December 19, 2008, 10:47:59 PM »

The first time I coaxed a cathartic audio experience out of Pro Tools was when I bought a Soundcraft 200B 8 ch mixer for like $300 and connected the 8 outputs of my Apogee AD8000 to it. Seriously, going from mixing in PT 5.1 which made the bass drum sound like a tennis ball and the whole mix sounded smaller than cheap mono, to summing on the 200B, made the rock record I was then working on feel like going from a splash in a kiddie pool to a fucking tsunami!!! The guitars were like this tidal wave blasting out of my speakers! I think I had an orgasm. I could not believe my ears at the difference in the sound quality. This discovery eventually lead me to abandon PT for a completely analog setup, which was cool until the client requested a remix to be a slight modification of an earlier mix. I've now sold my Yamaha PM2k, which I loved, and now have a PTLE rig about to finally expand so I'll have a bunch of Apogee i/o. My immediate plan is to resurrect my 200B, maybe even getting it serviced. and use that to 'sum' my mixes until I can afford my SPL Mix Dream XP. I'm even thinking the 200B might still then come in handy because it does the 'crunchy' thing really well but still has a lot of air to the sound. I think my 200B was modded but I used another one once that still sounded big.

Anyways, long story short, is there any other cool small CHEAP mixers that folks on a budget can use to sum their mixes until they can afford a real summing amp? I think the 200B is excellent for the price but there's probably something better in the sub-$500 range for an 8 ch mixer.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Jim Williams

Re: _Good_ _cheap_ small mixers...for summing?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »

Soundcraft Delta 200. Balanced bussing, -90 db stereo crosstalk, true balanced line inputs. I paid $400 for the 8x4, $550 for the 16x4, $750 for the 24x4.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

jensenmann

Re: _Good_ _cheap_ small mixers...for summing?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »

I just ran into a Studer 970 for 500 bucks. Nobody seems to care for these as they are known as broadcast/radio-DJ desks. But converting them into a music mixing console is possible and soundquality is studer.
Jens
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.