R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with converters & DAW...  (Read 3748 times)

JvM1

Help with converters & DAW...
« on: December 19, 2008, 04:49:36 PM »

Wasn’t sure where to post this…

I used a friends RME hammerfall card & ADI-8 DS 6+ years back. We used it with s/mux through lightpipe to record everything at 24/96. I think I remember having 2 busses in Nuendo through the ADI-8 at 24/96.

Now I’m piecing together my own setup & it looks like a lot of new RME stuff is out there. I don’t know much about the new RME firewire units or the MADI (I’m reading online)

I don’t know what I should get as far as the card & converters. I’m a songwriter & usually only record a couple of live inputs at a time. I do a lot of vocal & guitar doubling & harmonies, so the most tracks I can get at 24/96 is the goal.

Basically I want a solid card/converters setup that will give me at least 24 tracks at 24/96 & enough busses to not have to load everything into 1 or 2 at mixdown.

I’m also in the process of finding a DAW computer now. I looked at the specialized DAW sites & they want around 2,000 for a solid one.

Budget wise, I’m probably going to put the most money into the card/converters & get a “buget DAW” I can make work.

I’m looking into a Dell XPS 420 now (quad 9400, 4gb ram, X38 chipset & XP pro, not sure if Nuendo runs smoothly on the vista 64 bit OS) The Dell is a grand less that the pro built DAWs.

Thanks for any help!

JvM

Blas

Re: Help with converters & DAW...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:43:39 AM »

Move slow and consider quality!  You will never regret a quality item purchase, but you will die over and over for the bad choice of being on the cheap.
Everyone has a different approach as to "what gear".  So here is MHO, it's worked for us here, so it can work for you.
Start with the RME 9652 card - rock solid. Period. It isn't cheap, but very dependable.
Converter wise, (now here's the down shot) if you can live for now with the idea of tracking at 24/48 tops, get an Alesis AI3 unit.  It isn't world class, but bang for the buck...it'll get you there.  THAT will be the piece you will want to replace later when the funds are available.
DAW wise, I can't truly suggest, as we've had our past several (including a new one being build right now) custom designed by a friend that runs a computer service company on the west coast.  Then a local tech here in St. Louis that does the physical construction and software install.  Sorry.
I hope this will at least get you started.

Joe B.
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 18 queries.