R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your choice of LDC for acoustic guitars?  (Read 10070 times)

sdevino

Re: Your choice of LDC for acoustic guitars?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2004, 08:33:58 PM »

Its funny but I find the sound of an omni SDC to be much bigger than a typical LDC on acoustic instruments. I like to hear a big full woody sound. I think the SDC sounds more to my liking because I can put wherever the guitar sounds best without worrying about boom or percussive wavefronts from the guitar.

I have U87s, E47, GefelUM92.1, TLM103 and Shure KSM44 to choose from for LDC.

I also never use the same micing technique twice. I listen for the best spot and place a mic there. Then I put headphones with good sound isolation on and tweak the location for sound, style and player.

So I would recommend the a SDC omni that is very accurate (which leaves out everything made by Neumann).

Steve

Steve Devino

Granite Rocks Recording Studios
Studio gear design and setup

wildplum

• Real Full Name: paul tumolo
Re: Your choice of LDC for acoustic guitars?
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2004, 06:18:13 PM »

I am uncomfotable with the idea of "best" or even "first" choice. I'll give you an example, on a recent CD project of west african palm wine music (acoutis guitar oriented world folk), i had four players: two acoustic guitars, acoustic bass and percusion, all in the same room. each guitar was miced with 2 mics. we used a total of 7 difference acoustic guitars on the 10 song project. I think i used around 10 different microphone models, mostly SDC, sometimes LDC. Almost always, a KM54 was involved, but mosly we listened to the song, selected which guitar based on listening to the song (sometimes we'd do a recrding then decide we wanted a different guitar), then i'd select mic based on song and guitar. the point i wish to make is that there is no "first choice". I select mics based on what is available and what the specific application is demanding that i use. thus, even with only one guitar, i am likely to use a different microphone on different songs- or not, depending on what i am hearing and what i am trying to achieve.

Another way to say this is: once you've bought your "first choice", you'll immediately start shopping around for your next "first choice".

Paul Tumolo

<a href="http://www.wildplum.org" target="_blank">Wildplum Recordings</a>

a micro label, studio and remote recording service
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.