R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugin Idea  (Read 818 times)

Podgorny

Plugin Idea
« on: December 12, 2008, 12:14:14 PM »

Alright, so I've been kicking around a plugin idea for the last couple of years.  I've gone so far as to contact a rep for a company whose technology could be readily implemented to make this, but they flatly told me that they do not accept ideas from outside parties.

Anyway, I thought I would post it here, so you guys can tell me it's stupid and I shouldn't worry about it.

So here goes.

I'd like a dynamics plugin that is pitch-dependent.  An incoming signal is analyzed (based on a pre-determined key), then the plugin adjusts the volume accordingly.

In my head, this would be useful for tracking vocals, where if a singer is singing sharp, they may need a little less vocal in the headphones, etc.

Adjustments for range, response latency, and volume-adjustment-speed would all be necessary.  Since processing time would probably incur an intolerable amount of latency, it may have to be a simple dynamics plugin with a sidechain input from an aux track containing the pitch detection plugin.

With artists becoming more concerned with whether vocals have been manipulated, it would be nice to have something that actually helps the initial performance,  rather than always fixing the problem after the fact.

Am I crazy?

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

wwittman

Re: Plugin Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 12:47:38 PM »

How would it "know" the difference between singing sharp unintentionally and bending or sliding a note on purpose?
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Rader Ranch

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »

I"d like a variation of this, with speech recognition. The more cliche the content, the softer it becomes. Phrases like "I saw her standing there" or "it's 3am" would be rendered completely inaudible, thereby forcing the artist to rewrite.
scott...

Podgorny

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »

wwittman wrote on Fri, 12 December 2008 11:47

How would it "know" the difference between singing sharp unintentionally and bending or sliding a note on purpose?

Hence the adjustment speed control.

And remember, this isn't an auto-tune situation where if the software works incorrectly, it's an obvious error.  We're talking about a small change in volume (probably <3dB) over as much as a couple of seconds.  Essentially, it could determine whether the input is consistently under the reference note, and make minor adjustments from there (rather than constantly moving levels up and down).

Certainly this would be more useful than "THROAT".
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Podgorny

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »

Rader Ranch wrote on Fri, 12 December 2008 11:58

I"d like a variation of this, with speech recognition. The more cliche the content, the softer it becomes. Phrases like "I saw her standing there" or "it's 3am" would be rendered completely inaudible, thereby forcing the artist to rewrite.

Well she was just seventeen
You know what I mean
And the way she looked was way beyond compare
So how could I dance with another
Oh
Well she looked at me and I, I could see
That before too long I'd fall in love with her

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.