R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 16 - Listening thread  (Read 8955 times)

ATOR

Re: WUMP 16 - Listening thread
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2008, 11:04:29 AM »

YZ wrote on Sun, 28 December 2008 14:55

Additional comment: I believe that the radio guys commented on the lack of loudness after playing the original in a regular stereo, not after their broadcast chain; I doubt that the radios in Suriname have no processing at all, it is needed to protect the transmitter; they may not have the latest and greatest, but even a second-hand Orban from 1985 can squash the h*ll out of any mix, rendering level differences in the raw material moot.
BTW I did have the original played on a small radio station here (over the air late at night) and it sounded a bit louder than current releases, so...

The mix lacked loudness when played on the radio, so after processing. I was surprised to hear that because I thought that radio processing would fix level issues. Not in this case. I can only guess the reasons why. Maybe the processing used wasn't multiband so the low end pushed down the rest.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

YZ

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »

ATOR wrote on Sun, 28 December 2008 14:04

The mix lacked loudness when played on the radio, so after processing. I was surprised to hear that because I thought that radio processing would fix level issues. Not in this case. I can only guess the reasons why. Maybe the processing used wasn't multiband so the low end pushed down the rest.

Oh...  after...  not good.

First time I ever hear that.

Can't think of a technical reason either.

regards,

YZ

cass anawaty

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »

Those RMS levels are frightening, as far as numbers go.   Shocked
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

dubwise

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »

Cass Anawaty wrote on Sun, 28 December 2008 12:42

Those RMS levels are frightening, as far as numbers go.   Shocked

Whatever do you mean? Who really needs more than 3 dB between peak and RMS anyway?

You're just jealous.    Rolling Eyes

Slip

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »

Here are my thoughts on group 2. Sorry for the delay. I'm currently abroad, luckily I managed to listen in the studio just before I left. Hope I didn't miss anybody.

In general: I think the biggest problem by far was the extremely harsh hi-hat that made it almost impossible to listen to the original loud. I confirmed this by checking on multiple home systems and asking several jane and john doe's that have no expertise in the audio field. Nearly everybody commented on the harsh highs. Some couldn't say what exactly was the cause but most said the highs were nearly unbearable at louder listening levels. Which makes it so surprising that very few actually addressed the problem. Some of you even boosted the highs! So, with this in mind, here are my comments:

Slip (my own master): I went perhaps a bit overboard with the hi-hat taming. Using a complex process of de-essing/ducking the exact frequency range of the hi-hats high frequency content. Thus my master sounds duller and has less air than several others. However, I feel this compromise was necessary and actually quite like my own master, it is my favourite of the bunch. Selfish? Perhaps. Laughing

Viital
Niklas Silen @ Good Will Studios, Helsinki, Finland

Nils Faller

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »

sorry guys that i haven´t commented yet on anything. i still have a cold but my hearing gets better. i try to listen again on the weekend.
had much fun doing this, looking forward for the next time.
and @ patrik t: yep you are right i compensated my eq because i was listening at low levels. (at 5.30 in the morning after a project, to be exact).
checked again before uploading but already felt in love with the basssound hahah,i should have checked one day later.

cheers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 18 queries.