R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 16 - Listening thread  (Read 8950 times)

ATOR

WUMP 16 - Listening thread
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »

We're gonna split up in two groups of 16 for the listening comments. They're a little different from the original ones because we've had some last minute sign-ups.

Group 1
ATOR
JCMastering
ggidluck
mcsnare
mbruce333
jdg
YZ
KAyo
T. Mueller
OTR-jkl
aivoryuk
Taylor
Ed Littman
silvergrove
Mickey Tee
MT Groove

Group 2
Jim Wilson
UnderTow
Slip
Chris Amato
dubwise
Patrik T
Viitalahde
Nils Faller
Pete G
MikeyC
dje
dguidry
Andrew Hamilton
Peter Beckmann
tom eaton
A.Zaccarias
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

T. Mueller

Re: WUMP 16 - Listening thread
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 09:26:53 AM »

VERRRRRRY late last night, I figured out what my problem was with Samplitude.  Wish I could re-submit.  

I'm excited for feedback.  Seems like most of everyone else's were certainly louder than mine.  It's opportunities like this that'll help me learn.  Thanks, all.  I'll get to the comments by the weekend...

dje

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »

Hi All,

Sorry for being so naughty but I've just re-uploaded a version of what I think is my best shot (although never really satisfied...).

Make sure that's the one you listen too (WUMP16-dje1.wav in group 2).

Cheers.

Dje

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:38:46 PM »

Please DJE.
Ator has taken on the organisation of this WUMP, lets abide by his rules and not give him more work to do.
The deadline was the deadline, just like in the real world. The sign up PM said NO REVISIONS, so lets just keep it simple and follow his instructions.

thankyou

Peter

Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

aivoryuk

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:17:21 PM »

i wish i had listened to mine after had been dithered, because using Powr-1 in samplitude has done something not very nice to the hi hat top end.
Never thought dither could could change the sound so much, just tried rendering the track using TPDF and MBIT and it sounds better.
well thats something I've learnt already or maybe its me just thinking I'm hearing a difference

dje

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 12:17

i wish i had listened to mine after had been dithered, because using Powr-1 in samplitude has done something not very nice to the hi hat top end.
Never thought dither could could change the sound so much, just tried rendering the track using TPDF and MBIT and it sounds better.
well thats something I've learnt already or maybe its me just thinking I'm hearing a difference

Do like me. Send a revision  Laughing

Sorry... not funny

Dje

dubwise

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 02:25:57 PM »

I dropped all 25 into a project with the original,
and went to align them for ease of comparison.
This is absolutely fascinating.

So, how do we approach the two groups thing?
Do you want everything in this thread?
Tech notes here, or a separate thread?

Patrik T

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »

in no particular order (group2):

andrew hamilton:
good. some dip in the midrange maybe taking out unnecessarlily much weight. slight pumping tendencies. maybe too crispy as well.

peter beckham:
very good. everything is gathered into same tonality. some distortion and perhaps some sizzle. but all together it is very fine.

mikeyc:
good but things are pumping slightly. relaxed approach.

a zaccarias:
while the tone is pretty ok, the added (or extracted) ambience is NOT.  and things distort. the level is ridiculously high, things are nervous.

chris amato:
something has gone wrong here. sounds like spectrum analyzing made the tweaks. i hope that's not the case and that it's only a matter of monitoring...the original sounds better than your version.

nils faller:
good but boomy. you might be monitoring at too low levels when doing your tweaks. based on the low/high ends.

dubwise:
good. more midrangey than nils'. i don't like how the sizzle trigger distortions. too loud.

pete g:
very, very good from a balance point of view. i like pretty much every aspect of this but things might be too loud.

slip:
i hear too much of everything in order to feel comfortable listening to this. the level and tone is making things nervous. the whole is too thin.

viitalahde:
the tone is creamy. obviously you've runned things into overdrive mode to get some more soul into this, but I'm not sure if the added slight distortions are serving a completely fine purpose. things are probably too loud. but the tone is fine, does not make me wanna shut off.

dje1:
so you made a revision and told everyone that you did.

best regards
patrik

Chris Amato

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »

Okay so I've done a quick listen of all the masters though my computer speakers. More in depth listening coming soon. I can tell that Group1 seems to have a little more expertise on the average. More than a few found the boxy character around 280-500 and fixed it. Also its interesting to see what others would do with the high-hat peaking into the stratosphere. Only a few decided to tame it a little bit, again mostly in Group 1.

On the whole the original mix is outstanding, but a little dark. This is likely the reason why it won't cut though on the radio. I feel that many of the masters suffer the same problem as the original mix, and probably why one master hasn't struck me as 'the one' yet.

Chris Amato
Santa Cruz, CA
skypropeller@gmail.com

dubwise

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »

Group 2 listening notes from dubwise

A.Zaccarias - Reverb? Really?

Andrew Hamilton - harsh and brittle, pumping

ChrisAmato - Was a complete reEQ really necessary? Where's the low mid?
 It's interesting that it's a different length, the waveforms don't line up,
 and the phase variably changes against original. Did this go to tape?

dje - excessive high boost, a little harsh

dubwise - don't like the distortion.

MikeyC - flipped polarity. Don't like the 1kHz(?) boost.

NilsFaller - You're getting gain in the low end, but leaving the vocals behind

patrik_t - vocals are a little farther forward, but track is not much louder

PeteG - a little sibilant. Is there some stereo processing? Not much louder.

Peter Beckmann - track is louder but bass hasn't kept up. Some pumping.

Slip - flipped polarity. harsh, distorted

Viitalahde - loud, and I like the tone, but it's distorted

I'm really curious as to what tech people used.
Lots of different approaches.

ggidluck

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »

I thought the radio mix was quite well done. It sounded great on my monitors. Though in comparing some reggae songs on iTunes, most songs in the genre seem to be fairly bright. Especially some older lp's that I came across.

Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

dje

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 04:48:26 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 13:27

dje1:
so you made a revision and told everyone that you did.

Nice one!

Once again I'm really sorry for breaking the rules.

Dje

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 04:58:27 PM »

One thing I didn't like about the song is that the kick happens on the "2" and the "4," in unison with the stick.  I guess it is in the Reggae lexicon, but, as a former drummer, I can attest that it's an awkward way to play, and I feel that it comes across in the mix as somewhat counter-productive, iuam.  Maybe that's the point.  I like poly-rhythmic grooves, but this one keeps saying "stop," as it says
"go."  I like it when beats have kicks happen on and off the Bass notes, but not when all three (Bass note, kick, and snare [or rim click]) occur at the same tick, unless it's an occasional accent.

I like mine less after hearing others' versions from my group.    However, I have issues with each version I've heard.  At least it's not [just] self-abuse.  (:

For example, there's a good deal of comb filtering, someone added  reverb  Shocked , maybe I pumped, but many pumped more...

I look forward to auditioning Group 1.

Andrew

www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

MT Groove

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 15:58

One thing I didn't like about the song is that the kick happens on the "2" and the "4," in unison with the stick.  I guess it is in the Reggae lexicon

It's the classic 1-drop! Laughing You'll hear this in many "roots" Reggae music like the Bob Marley stuff.

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 05:59:27 PM »

MT Groove wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 17:29

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 15:58

One thing I didn't like about the song is that the kick happens on the "2" and the "4," in unison with the stick.  I guess it is in the Reggae lexicon

It's the classic 1-drop! Laughing You'll hear this in many "roots" Reggae music like the Bob Marley stuff.

As I wrote, "I guess it's in the Reggae lexicon..."  
Something about it sounds top-heavy, or awkward to me - having kick and snare happen at the same time and on the "2" and the "3."  

What I much prefer for Reggae is when the kick is only at or near the "1," and the snare or rim is played only at or around the "2" and the "4."   Nothing but hat would happen during the "3" moment.   Guitars, of course, would be on the "-and's" of each beat.  I do like the traditional syncopation of the organ with the guitar and the drum rhythms.  

I liked both men's voices - especially Cameron's - because they were not straining for phrases that were beyond their respective ranges.  

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 19 queries.