R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD recorders  (Read 3906 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

DSD recorders
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »

Has anyone been using the MR1000 and the new MR2000 DSD recorders?

The units seem pretty cool.

However I promised myself never buy another product from Tascam, Their support in Brazil is total crap. A pity.

Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

compasspnt

Re: DSD recorders
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »

There are a couple of threads about the Korg 1000 unit.

Personally, I like it and use it to mix to, and master from.

I can't wait to get a 2000, but it would really just be for extra convenience' sake.

crna59

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »

We have both the MR1000 and the Tascam DV-RA1000. Not a single problem from either.
They both have their advantages/disadvantages. I personally like the Tascam because we use our outboard DSD converters. We feel it's better functionally than the Korg for mastering/archiving.
We recieve a lot of DSD files from folks that have dumped their mixes in to DSD and also have recorded 2 tracks at a time with full bands.
We'll probably get 4 of the new MR2000 rigs for our location work.

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »

Note that the Korg has a proprietary "double DSD" format at twice the resolution of standard DSD (5.6 v. 2.8.)

This is the format (dff) that I always use.

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »

Just picked up a Korg MR-2000S a month or so ago as aI have a client that supplies all his mixes in that format. Aside from having LED's bright enough to land aircraft with I have no complaints as a playback machine - it sounds quite good!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

crna59

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:27:30 PM »

We've had the MR2000S in here for a couple of months now. We don't even use the MR1000 anymore. It's a great machine.

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:53:34 PM »

Goofy question for the limited-DSD-experience types --

I've used the DVRA1000 for some time now - Wonderful machine, but so limited (no HD).  

Say someone were to send me a disc made on the DVRA1000 -- Could I simply load that into a PC and transfer that data into the Korg M2k?  I've been looking at upgrading the RA1000 to the HD model.  But if the M2k can open any DSD data through USB, I might change my mind on what unit to go with...  
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

crna59

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »

MASSIVE Mastering wrote on Thu, 02 April 2009 19:53

Say someone were to send me a disc made on the DVRA1000 -- Could I simply load that into a PC and transfer that data into the Korg M2k?  I've been looking at upgrading the RA1000 to the HD model.  But if the M2k can open any DSD data through USB, I might change my mind on what unit to go with...  

Not a problem... AudioGte software is pretty efficient as well in a pinch.

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Seattle, WA

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »

Nice...  Thanks.  

We'll see what the accountant says.   Confused  
John Scrip

TotalSonic

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »

I'd be really curious to get a "show of hands" here as to how much clients are either inquiring about or actually bringing mixes in DSD to you.  So far no one has ever even asked me whether I can work from DSD.  I know there sometimes is a "build it and they will come" factor for this - but I'd rather be cautious before dumping cash into this.  

I've got a couple of DAT players and a MiniDisc player with digital outs just sitting in the racks mainly unused (1 job from MD in the past year - 2 jobs from DAT in the same time period) that are constant reminders of how format support can barely be even worth taking up rack space - but at least the cost for these was a lot less than a DSD player would be.  And I still see a decent flow of 1/4" and 1/2" coming in here - along with the occasional transfer from 12" and 7" record - and even had a couple of clients who were excited to see that I had a nice cassette 4-track so they could remix their old lo-fi projects here.  But no one has even mentioned wanting to bring in DSD yet to me.

I'm sure the Korg unit sounds great but I'd want to have at least some assurances that there would be at least a few orders from having it - until then I figure a rental (seems Dreamhire doesn't have one yet though - does anyone know who does?) for a session would work fine.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bblackwood

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 01:57:29 PM »

I've done about six albums off DSD now in the last year or so, enough for me to invest in the machine.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »

Only problems with the Tascam DV-RA1000. Already the second drive inside, and still problems during recording. Error 61 all the time. This machine is crap, only it's AD and DA converters are excellent and that's how I use it. I can never trust this machine, it just stops recording in the middle of a take. The best is to use all the time new DVD's, and as soon as you reuse a disc, it's trouble.

I made wires so I can use my Genex 8500 for recording and use the AD and DA converters of the Tascam DV-RA1000 for DSD.

The user interfaces of the Tascam DV-RA1000 is the most stupid I have ever encountered on a "professional" machine, probably written by a trainee. When I want to change from format, I need to do that with a DVD or CD inside. Otherwise I cannot change any format in the menu. Not to talk about the amount of times you need to push the cancel button, to open up the menu, to be able to change from external to internal clock, when no clock is activated from outside.

When I record CD-R's on the DVRA, everytime I make a new track ID, it mutes the signal, this is unusable and unacceptable. For me the Tascam DV-RA1000 can go in the garbage bin except from the converters.

A pity Genex got into trouble, probably they produced the best professional machines for multiformat use. I own two of them since 2000, and I hope they will last for another ten years.

Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »

Quote:

I'd be really curious to get a "show of hands" here as to how much clients are either inquiring about or actually bringing mixes in DSD to you.

One every two or three months.  I had one of the first DVRA1000's...  I honestly thought that every project studio on the planet was going to jump on them.  

I've had several projects come in on DVRA discs that were hardly worthy of cassette for that matter...   Personally, I think it sounds wonderful.  I think some people think that it will make their recordings sound wonderful.  
John Scrip
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 22 queries.