R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A new compressor  (Read 20272 times)

jdg

Re: A new compressor
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »

i have a the first (hopefully of many!) "mastering edition" of the FCS P3S.

20 position elma switches on the thresh, ratio and gain.

its really great. really really great.

the ratio has 20 steps between 1:1 and 4:1 and the make up gain doesn't go from +/- 20.  it just has 0->+20 in 1dB steps.

driving the carnhill transformers for effect is really controllable.

im pretty stoked on it so far Smile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/rafoote/P3S_ME/P3S_ME_03.jpg
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

mastertone

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »

subvertbeats wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 18:29

Looks very interesting, whats the release time range?

No idea, mine is awaiting the A/R board.
Some info on the release time:
http://www.picocompressorforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f =6&t=281&sid=b207a041c15fbf025d43acb5dccd18b3
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

TotalSonic

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »

jdg wrote on Thu, 20 May 2010 17:45

the ratio has 20 steps between 1:1 and 4:1 and the make up gain doesn't go from +/- 20.  it just has 0->+20 in 1dB steps.

Awesome John!  looks great!  Can I ask what the additional mods ran you?

Seems Roger last year made a 2RU 2-channel "P3 custom" unit prior to the release of the 1RU stereo version that looks like if switches were added would also be  a candidate for a seriously pimped out mastering version - pics and info at http://www.picocompressorforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f =7&t=253&sid=1650e2f290d54604ba7925294b96d6f5

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jdg

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »

mods weren't much!
extra 500 or so? maybe a bit more..

really makes this unit perfect for me.

the regular one just made me angry.. cuz it sounds good, just not enough control/precision for me.
this has it for me.

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Garrett H

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Thu, 20 May 2010 14:12

... but I think John was keeping really close to the SSL model with this design.

Yes, he certainly was.  He wanted the best of the things he liked with the SSL, but with improved components (where appropriate) plus the transformers he worked with Jensen to spec for the unit. As some of you may know, the transformers are not from Jensen's off-the-shelf production run; they're specifically made for Dramastic.

I talked to John E. about getting mods done to the stock unit, and he was agreeable to trying it. But I was about to take delivery on a Masterpiece 2 and I couldn't swing the economics of getting a DAO.  Speaking of economics, I sat down and added up my guesstimate of the input costs of the unit and determined that he's undercharging ---way under charging.  So, if you're thinking of getting one, I suggest you get one now, before the price moves to where it probably should be..

So, you have it before your VM.... I didn't test it there... Sounds like my bad.   I had it after the VM, replacing the OCL/2 .  There are times I wish I had a Crookwood just for a few hours to test gear....

Best,
GH
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

Tim Boyce

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »

BTW:

There are still 2x of the 2u mastering versions available directly from Roger. afaik ... only 6 were made. He is asking in the ~$3k range

"One of them went to Ireland, one to England, one to Hawaii and one is in Hollywood, CA."

The P3 is feedforward only. It was made before I developed the feedback mode.

Both the P3S and P3 have true power summed stereo control, so both will have the solid stereo imaging. The P3 is a better choice if you want to use it for tracking (or M/S), since it can be operated as 2- mono compressors or a stereo compressor. For mastering, the differences between the P3 and P3S are nil except for the feedback function, which is more of an effect IMO...
Not something you would use in mastering. Actually, I never use feedback mode and I have a P3500 in my instrument rack and a P3S in my stereo rack. Both of those have the feedback mode, of course.

Anything you read about any of the FCS compressor models, the Pico 500, P3500, P3, P3S will be true of the P3 as far as it's abilities."

From Roger Foote ... He was great at answering any questions I had ... hopefully someone on this board can pick up an great custom piece Smile

mastertone

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »

jdg wrote on Thu, 20 May 2010 23:45

Nice!

Congrats, hope you like it as much as i do mine
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

domc

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »

Just got mine ine - WOW....WOW...
great bit of gear
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

iquinn

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »

stephen quinn

Viitalahde

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »

Well, I have put my FCS P3SL into use. It's a prototype I bought from Roger. All variable controls, no feedback mode, simpler meter and only A/R and RMS modes. No transformers either, didn't want any.

I have had it for over a year, but I simply had no rack space in the old place to put it in for comfortable reach.

I'll just repeat after what other people say: It is a really, really good compressor and is likely my new work horse. The RMS mode gets my love, but I just used the A/R modes in a black metal record with success.

As it's all continuously variable, I'm thinking of putting in some stepped attenuators. I was going to do them all, but I actually sort of like the variable controls. So it might be I'll just go for the gain, stepped. No L/R balance to worry about anyway. But ask me again after I've tried to recall it.

I put it after my Knif Pure Mu compressor. I've been missing some clean gain after it.

Also, I know the output of Roger's compressors should be a killer in driving a transformer, but to my surprise, the current feedback op-amp at the output of my BPEQ is much better at driving the input of my Knif (which is non-standard to the other Pure Mu's - 2k5 L-pad attenuator and an unbalanced input).

Anyhow, the P3S must be even better than my prototype. Everyone should get one.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

aleatoric

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 12:41:50 AM »

Loving my FCS P3S ME over here too.  Absolutely amazing compressor.  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 17 queries.