R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A new compressor  (Read 20258 times)

TotalSonic

Re: A new compressor
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »

Matt -
I agree with you that the API 2500 tends to add a tiny bit somewhere in the 100ish range as soon as you put it in line.  I find it also attenuates by default in the 20-30ish range as well.  So - if you and the client are really liking the way the bottom end is sounding on the original source and don't want this to change at all then it's very likely the wrong compressor to choose (and also the reason why I think it would be important to have another option in the rack than just the 2500).

Regarding the Phoenix - when I was demoing it I was trying out the standard version - so interesting to read that the mastering version features more than just better recallable controls.  At this point with 3 analog compression options in the rack I think I'm going to refrain from checking out other options for a while and instead focusing on learning on how to get the most out of what I have! (i.e. been meaning to explore more eq'ing - and not just using an HPF - on the side chain inputs)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Hallams

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 12:39:45 AM »

.....to get the thread back on track after a few years....Any more opinions on the TK BC 1 comp as i am thinking of it as an option. I don't have an SSL style comp and even though Al Smarts are built just down the road in Richmond they are just a bit pricey for my likes if the TK does a simmilar job.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 01:10:31 AM »

I really like my TK BC1. In many ways better than even my SSL.

The blend feature ("built-in parallel comp") and the HPF very handy.

TotalSonic

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »

fwiw - I have a client that uses the TK1 as a 2-bus mixer and he's brought me mixes in with it on and off the track - sometimes I like what it does to the track and sometimes I don't.  Other than this I still haven't heard it in person.

Another recently introduced relatively low priced stereo compressor that looks like it could still be of interest to ME's is the Foote Control Systems P3S - http://www.mercenary.com/fcs-p3s.html
Seems to be based on the Pico compressor boards with a lot of options - including HPF, blend from RMS to Peak detection, switchable from Carnhill transformer or electronically balanced output, optional automatic release control, lots of gentle ratio choices between 1.05:1 to 2:1 (in addition to other options up to 12:1), feedback or feedforward, etc.  At $1700 street price seems worthy of at least a look.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Garrett H

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »

If you want an SSL - style compressor the Dramastic Audio Obsidian is the final word (IMO).  

However, using it for mastering would be very difficult unless you want to modify the ratios, attack, and release times.  If you did that, ... look out.

GH
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

mastertone

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 15:41

Another recently introduced relatively low priced stereo compressor that looks like it could still be of interest to ME's is the Foote Control Systems P3S - http://www.mercenary.com/fcs-p3s.html
Seems to be based on the Pico compressor boards with a lot of options - including HPF, blend from RMS to Peak detection, switchable from Carnhill transformer or electronically balanced output, optional automatic release control, lots of gentle ratio choices between 1.05:1 to 2:1 (in addition to other options up to 12:1), feedback or feedforward, etc.  At $1700 street price seems worthy of at least a look.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

This compressor needs more attention, absolutely fantastic.
Mine (Roger´s prototype)is pretty much stuck in RMS mode.
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

subvertbeats

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »

Matt_G wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 13:41

That's interesting I used to use Old mode the most until recently when I discovered that the Old mode adds like a slight smiley face EQ to the sound (beefier low mids & highs with the midrange left pretty much untouched). The New mode tends to leave the lows & highs alone but brings out the midrange a little more. It really depends on the style of music & the mix balance as to which style I use. I'm finding that New mode gets used more often than Old mode lately.

Matt this mirrors my experience. I used to use the old mode almost on everything. Now I use new mode at least 50% of the time.

subvertbeats

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »

mastertone wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 20:15

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 15:41

Best regards,
Steve Berson

This compressor needs more attention, absolutely fantastic.
Mine (Roger´s prototype)is pretty much stuck in RMS mode.

Looks very interesting, whats the release time range?

djwaudio

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 11:48

If you want an SSL - style compressor the Dramastic Audio Obsidian is the final word (IMO).  

However, using it for mastering would be very difficult unless you want to modify the ratios, attack, and release times.  If you did that, ... look out.

GH

What would you change about the ratios and time constants?  I'm using one every day and am consistently stoked about it.  It's set to auto release most of the time.
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Garrett H

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »

Seriously?  If you are using it good for you.  That's an amazing box. I've recommended it to mixing friends and they've all purchased it.

For me, I would want a ratio of 1.1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1.  The lowest it goes is 2 to 1.  Honestly, I don't often compress that much.

Attack - slowest attack is 20 ms. That's crazy too fast for some of the things I do.  For example, Masterpiece's slowest fastest attack (after the 'instant' setting) is 30 ms and I'm often way past that.

Release - I guess I could live with what's there.  I'm always skeptical of "auto" anything, but thats more based on gut feeling rather than specific tests with this unit in a mastering context.

So, the net of this is as follows:  This is a great unit.  It doesn't meet my specifications for my particular working style.  But that in no way means that my experiences should devalue yours or some how imply that you don't get good sounds with it.  I have no idea where it is in your chain, what material you're working on or 99 other factors.  My comments were specific to me.  Again, any mix engineer I've put this box in front of has purchased it!

Best,
GH

dcollins

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 05:54:58 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 12:42

For me, I would want a ratio of 1.1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1.  The lowest it goes is 2 to 1.  Honestly, I don't often compress that much.

Yeah, at 1.1:1 you'd be better off in "bypass."  Is that even audible?

DC

Garrett H

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »

dcollins wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 17:54

Yeah, at 1.1:1 you'd be better off in "bypass."  Is that even audible?

DC

Given the custom Jensen transformers in this specific unit (and that the designer told me that bypass does bypass them) 1.1:1  would let you use the box for the transformers' effect.

djwaudio

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 12:42

Attack - slowest attack is 20 ms. That's crazy too fast for some of the things I do.  For example, Masterpiece's slowest fastest attack (after the 'instant' setting) is 30 ms and I'm often way past that.

Release - I guess I could live with what's there.  I'm always skeptical of "auto" anything, but thats more based on gut feeling rather than specific tests with this unit in a mastering context.

I have no idea where it is in your chain, what material you're working on or 99 other factors.

Best,
GH

For VCA comps, auto is often a good bet, as not.  Complex program material can benefit from it imho.

The attack times seem really apt for mastering to me.  They range from .1mS to 30mS.  I usually have it set for 1,3, or 10 mS.  I just had a gander at the OCL that I have here, and it's attack range is 1 to 40 mS.  So, it's in the same ball-park.

I'm almost never squashing stuff, but the ratios of 4:1 and 8:1 see a lot of action with the DAO.  Perhaps it's acting more like a peak limiter for me.

Now that you menteion it Garrett, having more ratios to choose from would make it more flexable, but I think John was keeping really close to the SSL model with this design.  I do like that all the controls are switched, and it tracks the stereo image very well.  Once I heard that I couldn't resist.

It's sitting right before my Vari-Mu (w/Tbar) in the chain.  I'm really impressed with how transparent this pairing can be.  It's simple and sounds great.  Right up my ally!

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

dcollins

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 15:51

Given the custom Jensen transformers in this specific unit (and that the designer told me that bypass does bypass them) 1.1:1  would let you use the box for the transformers' effect.

Well, if he can do 1.1, it should be easy enough to get a mod to 1.0000.  Do the Jensen's have much coloration to speak of?

DC

djwaudio

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »

Not in the DAO.  The transformers are pretty neutral tonally, to my ear.
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.