R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new compressor  (Read 20221 times)

Patrik T

A new compressor
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »

A new comp with built in "blend" control for whom it may concern. From the guy behind Vintagedesign.

http://www.tkaudio.se/

http://www.mercenary.com/tkabc1.html

Best Regards
Patrik

jdg

Re: A new compressor
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »

i've heard and played with one.
the L+R thing sounds weird.
and i wish it released faster.

but it was WAYYYYY better then any other "ssl-style" clone i've ever heard.
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:45:13 PM »

The TK BC-1 definitely looks like it offers a lot of bang for buck.  I think that it's very possible that a few corners component wise were cut to get it to the price range it is - and that it most likely would be the kind of thing that would be really nice for things like drum bus during mixing - but not necessarilly one that would get used that much in mastering duties in preference to other options.  Then again - I haven't heard it yet so I can't really make any judgements on it.  

To me the CL1mkII is really the comp from Vintage Design that looks like it would be the jammy as a nice option to have in the mastering rack.  I played with it briefly at AES 2007 and it seemed like it was nicely laid out - if I hadn't recently bought a Focusrite Blue 330 mkI at the Sony Studios Auction I definitely would want to get a longer demo of it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Viitalahde

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 12:43:47 AM »

Thomas is a great guy, and I'm sure he has thought this through.

Looks very interesting! I had thought of trying out an API2500 some day, but this looks like it could be a serious contender.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

jdg

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:09:08 AM »

this sounds really diff then the 2500.

its the "old" feedback mode.   the  bc1 is similar to the "new" mode on the api, and i mean as similar as i am to my half-brother
john mcCaig

TotalSonic

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 03:33:07 AM »

jdg wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 01:09

this sounds really diff then the 2500.

its the "old" feedback mode.   the  bc1 is similar to the "new" mode on the api, and i mean as similar as i am to my half-brother

and the "new" mode on the API2500 is the one feature I almost never use!  I do think an SSL style comp is a nice option in the rack - but for the tracks I get in these days I really can't imagine using an SSL'ish one  more on than even 5% of the time I need an analog comp.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 08:31:27 AM »

This is probably much more useful in mixing.

jdg

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 00:33

and the "new" mode on the API2500 is the one feature I almost never use!  

ditto!
maybe 10 times, ever.  
thats a big maybe.
john mcCaig

bleen

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:41:15 AM »

I have one and it's become my go-to 2-bus compressor (I don't master). With slower attacks and a fast release I can pull the threshold down and get some nicely transparent "grab" without pumping. The HPF is a nice touch, too. The M/S thing - not so nice...

Matt_G

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »

jdg wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 01:23

ditto!
maybe 10 times, ever.  
thats a big maybe.

That's interesting I used to use Old mode the most until recently when I discovered that the Old mode adds like a slight smiley face EQ to the sound (beefier low mids & highs with the midrange left pretty much untouched). The New mode tends to leave the lows & highs alone but brings out the midrange a little more. It really depends on the style of music & the mix balance as to which style I use. I'm finding that New mode gets used more often than Old mode lately. Although this could also be due to the fact that when I run through analog tape that it already gives me a bit of a smiley face EQ curve so I prefer to lift the mids instead of doubling up with the Old mode on the API.

The Phoenix on the other hand is just very smooth & natural without adding too much tonal shift to the equation yet it balances out the API's aggression in the mids in New mode nicely. Definitely very complimentary to work with New mode (or SSL style comp) feeding into a Vari-Mu.

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

TotalSonic

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »

Matt_G wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 08:41

jdg wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 01:23

ditto!
maybe 10 times, ever.  
thats a big maybe.

That's interesting I used to use Old mode the most until recently when I discovered that the Old mode adds like a slight smiley face EQ to the sound (beefier low mids & highs with the midrange left pretty much untouched). The New mode tends to leave the lows & highs alone but brings out the midrange a little more. It really depends on the style of music & the mix balance as to which style I use. I'm finding that New mode gets used more often than Old mode lately. Although this could also be due to the fact that when I run through analog tape that it already gives me a bit of a smiley face EQ curve so I prefer to lift the mids instead of doubling up with the Old mode on the API.

The Phoenix on the other hand is just very smooth & natural without adding too much tonal shift to the equation yet it balances out the API's aggression in the mids in New mode nicely. Definitely very complimentary to work with New mode (or SSL style comp) feeding into a Vari-Mu.

Matt

Huh - my impression of the API is totally different.  I most often use it in Medium Thrust mode (where the side chain is filtered on the bottom, flat on the mids, and given a shelf boost on the highs) - and find it's biggest coloration is in the bottom end where it acts as rumble filter while tightening up the bass an octave above the rumble. In Medium Thrust the side chain is also getting triggered by the mids the most (where I find a lot of mixes are most poky - or where things like vox need to be glued into the mix) so the mids tend to get their transients softened while the lows keep a little more impact than if the side chain wasn't being eq'd.

To me "New Mode" is way too grabby to be of use in mastering that often - but funny how impressions range so different with the 2500.

Anyway - if I need high mid push from a comp I just plug in my Focusrite Blue - and the famous 2kHz - 4kHz "sheen" pops right out.

I demoed the Phoenix but found it "tweaky" in its controls and a little too "Tube" with a capital T in its coloration to think that it would get all that much use here (although if I had a few thousand laying around I might have bought it for the small percentage of tracks I get where it would have been a perfect match.)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jdg

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 12:01:56 PM »

thread hijack:
there is a "smiley" tone on the 2500 with the soft/normal/old
"medium" is the flattest like steve said. and "loud" the darkest.

i like these tonal shifts i can dial in in "old" mode.  very useful for me.
john mcCaig

TotalSonic

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 05:51:21 PM »

jdg wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 12:01

thread hijack:
there is a "smiley" tone on the 2500 with the soft/normal/old
"medium" is the flattest like steve said. and "loud" the darkest.

i like these tonal shifts i can dial in in "old" mode.  very useful for me.

Yup!!  What John said!!

I don't use the "loud" mode very often - but when I get a track with "poke you in the ear with an ice pick" high end on it then having it as an option definitely can be a lifesaver.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Matt_G

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:07:50 AM »

Actually I've had 2 different API 2500 units in here (first was a demo unit) & both sounded different from each other unless they have a run in time.

As for your comments regarding the 'sound' of Ye-Old mode. I usually use it with a Med thrust like you guys as usually I like to let the low end through the compressor unscathed. Where I hear a slight build up is circa 150-200Hz. Don't you think it sounds fatter in the low mids in Old mode? That is often the appeal of Old mode for me, that along with the slightly more gentle slower action of the compression. Even with the Med thrust I still hear more high frequency around 10kHz compared with the New mode with my unit. While the New mode is a little more aggressive, I prefer to use it where the needles are barely moving longer attack & release settings & either in Hard/Med/New or Med/Med/New modes if the kick drum is poking through too much I put it in normal mode which is still punchy yet adds a nice control to the low end.

There is no hard & fast rules, I used to think Hard/Med/Old was the way to go but my instincts react differently now based on the mix/genre & what I want to achieve. Don't rule out the other modes, it's worth playing around with this thing.

As for the Phoenix, the Mastering Edition is a different beast to the non-ME version. The drive is far more subtle & honestly I don't think the ME version sounds very tubey at all. The other benefit of the ME version is the S.C. filters. Most of the time I've got it set on one particular setting & master into it & the only thing I tend to change from time to time is the S.C. filter setting.

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

jdg

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »

deeply OT:
i've had 3 2500s, and they all sounded slightly different.

my first one was the best, im sad i had to sell it.
there was something there.. maybe a bit more grunt.
the 2nd one was crap.. glad its gone... sounded totally "weird" in the chain
this one just works. one of the knobs is slightly crooked, and drives my OCD'd brain a bit nuts.
john mcCaig

TotalSonic

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »

Matt -
I agree with you that the API 2500 tends to add a tiny bit somewhere in the 100ish range as soon as you put it in line.  I find it also attenuates by default in the 20-30ish range as well.  So - if you and the client are really liking the way the bottom end is sounding on the original source and don't want this to change at all then it's very likely the wrong compressor to choose (and also the reason why I think it would be important to have another option in the rack than just the 2500).

Regarding the Phoenix - when I was demoing it I was trying out the standard version - so interesting to read that the mastering version features more than just better recallable controls.  At this point with 3 analog compression options in the rack I think I'm going to refrain from checking out other options for a while and instead focusing on learning on how to get the most out of what I have! (i.e. been meaning to explore more eq'ing - and not just using an HPF - on the side chain inputs)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Hallams

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 12:39:45 AM »

.....to get the thread back on track after a few years....Any more opinions on the TK BC 1 comp as i am thinking of it as an option. I don't have an SSL style comp and even though Al Smarts are built just down the road in Richmond they are just a bit pricey for my likes if the TK does a simmilar job.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 01:10:31 AM »

I really like my TK BC1. In many ways better than even my SSL.

The blend feature ("built-in parallel comp") and the HPF very handy.

TotalSonic

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »

fwiw - I have a client that uses the TK1 as a 2-bus mixer and he's brought me mixes in with it on and off the track - sometimes I like what it does to the track and sometimes I don't.  Other than this I still haven't heard it in person.

Another recently introduced relatively low priced stereo compressor that looks like it could still be of interest to ME's is the Foote Control Systems P3S - http://www.mercenary.com/fcs-p3s.html
Seems to be based on the Pico compressor boards with a lot of options - including HPF, blend from RMS to Peak detection, switchable from Carnhill transformer or electronically balanced output, optional automatic release control, lots of gentle ratio choices between 1.05:1 to 2:1 (in addition to other options up to 12:1), feedback or feedforward, etc.  At $1700 street price seems worthy of at least a look.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Garrett H

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »

If you want an SSL - style compressor the Dramastic Audio Obsidian is the final word (IMO).  

However, using it for mastering would be very difficult unless you want to modify the ratios, attack, and release times.  If you did that, ... look out.

GH
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

mastertone

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 15:41

Another recently introduced relatively low priced stereo compressor that looks like it could still be of interest to ME's is the Foote Control Systems P3S - http://www.mercenary.com/fcs-p3s.html
Seems to be based on the Pico compressor boards with a lot of options - including HPF, blend from RMS to Peak detection, switchable from Carnhill transformer or electronically balanced output, optional automatic release control, lots of gentle ratio choices between 1.05:1 to 2:1 (in addition to other options up to 12:1), feedback or feedforward, etc.  At $1700 street price seems worthy of at least a look.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

This compressor needs more attention, absolutely fantastic.
Mine (Roger´s prototype)is pretty much stuck in RMS mode.
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

subvertbeats

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »

Matt_G wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 13:41

That's interesting I used to use Old mode the most until recently when I discovered that the Old mode adds like a slight smiley face EQ to the sound (beefier low mids & highs with the midrange left pretty much untouched). The New mode tends to leave the lows & highs alone but brings out the midrange a little more. It really depends on the style of music & the mix balance as to which style I use. I'm finding that New mode gets used more often than Old mode lately.

Matt this mirrors my experience. I used to use the old mode almost on everything. Now I use new mode at least 50% of the time.

subvertbeats

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »

mastertone wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 20:15

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 15:41

Best regards,
Steve Berson

This compressor needs more attention, absolutely fantastic.
Mine (Roger´s prototype)is pretty much stuck in RMS mode.

Looks very interesting, whats the release time range?

djwaudio

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 11:48

If you want an SSL - style compressor the Dramastic Audio Obsidian is the final word (IMO).  

However, using it for mastering would be very difficult unless you want to modify the ratios, attack, and release times.  If you did that, ... look out.

GH

What would you change about the ratios and time constants?  I'm using one every day and am consistently stoked about it.  It's set to auto release most of the time.
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Garrett H

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »

Seriously?  If you are using it good for you.  That's an amazing box. I've recommended it to mixing friends and they've all purchased it.

For me, I would want a ratio of 1.1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1.  The lowest it goes is 2 to 1.  Honestly, I don't often compress that much.

Attack - slowest attack is 20 ms. That's crazy too fast for some of the things I do.  For example, Masterpiece's slowest fastest attack (after the 'instant' setting) is 30 ms and I'm often way past that.

Release - I guess I could live with what's there.  I'm always skeptical of "auto" anything, but thats more based on gut feeling rather than specific tests with this unit in a mastering context.

So, the net of this is as follows:  This is a great unit.  It doesn't meet my specifications for my particular working style.  But that in no way means that my experiences should devalue yours or some how imply that you don't get good sounds with it.  I have no idea where it is in your chain, what material you're working on or 99 other factors.  My comments were specific to me.  Again, any mix engineer I've put this box in front of has purchased it!

Best,
GH

dcollins

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 05:54:58 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 12:42

For me, I would want a ratio of 1.1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1.  The lowest it goes is 2 to 1.  Honestly, I don't often compress that much.

Yeah, at 1.1:1 you'd be better off in "bypass."  Is that even audible?

DC

Garrett H

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »

dcollins wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 17:54

Yeah, at 1.1:1 you'd be better off in "bypass."  Is that even audible?

DC

Given the custom Jensen transformers in this specific unit (and that the designer told me that bypass does bypass them) 1.1:1  would let you use the box for the transformers' effect.

djwaudio

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 12:42

Attack - slowest attack is 20 ms. That's crazy too fast for some of the things I do.  For example, Masterpiece's slowest fastest attack (after the 'instant' setting) is 30 ms and I'm often way past that.

Release - I guess I could live with what's there.  I'm always skeptical of "auto" anything, but thats more based on gut feeling rather than specific tests with this unit in a mastering context.

I have no idea where it is in your chain, what material you're working on or 99 other factors.

Best,
GH

For VCA comps, auto is often a good bet, as not.  Complex program material can benefit from it imho.

The attack times seem really apt for mastering to me.  They range from .1mS to 30mS.  I usually have it set for 1,3, or 10 mS.  I just had a gander at the OCL that I have here, and it's attack range is 1 to 40 mS.  So, it's in the same ball-park.

I'm almost never squashing stuff, but the ratios of 4:1 and 8:1 see a lot of action with the DAO.  Perhaps it's acting more like a peak limiter for me.

Now that you menteion it Garrett, having more ratios to choose from would make it more flexable, but I think John was keeping really close to the SSL model with this design.  I do like that all the controls are switched, and it tracks the stereo image very well.  Once I heard that I couldn't resist.

It's sitting right before my Vari-Mu (w/Tbar) in the chain.  I'm really impressed with how transparent this pairing can be.  It's simple and sounds great.  Right up my ally!

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

dcollins

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 15:51

Given the custom Jensen transformers in this specific unit (and that the designer told me that bypass does bypass them) 1.1:1  would let you use the box for the transformers' effect.

Well, if he can do 1.1, it should be easy enough to get a mod to 1.0000.  Do the Jensen's have much coloration to speak of?

DC

djwaudio

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »

Not in the DAO.  The transformers are pretty neutral tonally, to my ear.
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

jdg

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »

i have a the first (hopefully of many!) "mastering edition" of the FCS P3S.

20 position elma switches on the thresh, ratio and gain.

its really great. really really great.

the ratio has 20 steps between 1:1 and 4:1 and the make up gain doesn't go from +/- 20.  it just has 0->+20 in 1dB steps.

driving the carnhill transformers for effect is really controllable.

im pretty stoked on it so far Smile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/rafoote/P3S_ME/P3S_ME_03.jpg
john mcCaig

mastertone

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »

subvertbeats wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 18:29

Looks very interesting, whats the release time range?

No idea, mine is awaiting the A/R board.
Some info on the release time:
http://www.picocompressorforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f =6&t=281&sid=b207a041c15fbf025d43acb5dccd18b3
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

TotalSonic

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »

jdg wrote on Thu, 20 May 2010 17:45

the ratio has 20 steps between 1:1 and 4:1 and the make up gain doesn't go from +/- 20.  it just has 0->+20 in 1dB steps.

Awesome John!  looks great!  Can I ask what the additional mods ran you?

Seems Roger last year made a 2RU 2-channel "P3 custom" unit prior to the release of the 1RU stereo version that looks like if switches were added would also be  a candidate for a seriously pimped out mastering version - pics and info at http://www.picocompressorforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f =7&t=253&sid=1650e2f290d54604ba7925294b96d6f5

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jdg

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »

mods weren't much!
extra 500 or so? maybe a bit more..

really makes this unit perfect for me.

the regular one just made me angry.. cuz it sounds good, just not enough control/precision for me.
this has it for me.

john mcCaig

Garrett H

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Thu, 20 May 2010 14:12

... but I think John was keeping really close to the SSL model with this design.

Yes, he certainly was.  He wanted the best of the things he liked with the SSL, but with improved components (where appropriate) plus the transformers he worked with Jensen to spec for the unit. As some of you may know, the transformers are not from Jensen's off-the-shelf production run; they're specifically made for Dramastic.

I talked to John E. about getting mods done to the stock unit, and he was agreeable to trying it. But I was about to take delivery on a Masterpiece 2 and I couldn't swing the economics of getting a DAO.  Speaking of economics, I sat down and added up my guesstimate of the input costs of the unit and determined that he's undercharging ---way under charging.  So, if you're thinking of getting one, I suggest you get one now, before the price moves to where it probably should be..

So, you have it before your VM.... I didn't test it there... Sounds like my bad.   I had it after the VM, replacing the OCL/2 .  There are times I wish I had a Crookwood just for a few hours to test gear....

Best,
GH

Tim Boyce

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »

BTW:

There are still 2x of the 2u mastering versions available directly from Roger. afaik ... only 6 were made. He is asking in the ~$3k range

"One of them went to Ireland, one to England, one to Hawaii and one is in Hollywood, CA."

The P3 is feedforward only. It was made before I developed the feedback mode.

Both the P3S and P3 have true power summed stereo control, so both will have the solid stereo imaging. The P3 is a better choice if you want to use it for tracking (or M/S), since it can be operated as 2- mono compressors or a stereo compressor. For mastering, the differences between the P3 and P3S are nil except for the feedback function, which is more of an effect IMO...
Not something you would use in mastering. Actually, I never use feedback mode and I have a P3500 in my instrument rack and a P3S in my stereo rack. Both of those have the feedback mode, of course.

Anything you read about any of the FCS compressor models, the Pico 500, P3500, P3, P3S will be true of the P3 as far as it's abilities."

From Roger Foote ... He was great at answering any questions I had ... hopefully someone on this board can pick up an great custom piece Smile

mastertone

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »

jdg wrote on Thu, 20 May 2010 23:45

Nice!

Congrats, hope you like it as much as i do mine
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

domc

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »

Just got mine ine - WOW....WOW...
great bit of gear
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

iquinn

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »

stephen quinn

Viitalahde

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »

Well, I have put my FCS P3SL into use. It's a prototype I bought from Roger. All variable controls, no feedback mode, simpler meter and only A/R and RMS modes. No transformers either, didn't want any.

I have had it for over a year, but I simply had no rack space in the old place to put it in for comfortable reach.

I'll just repeat after what other people say: It is a really, really good compressor and is likely my new work horse. The RMS mode gets my love, but I just used the A/R modes in a black metal record with success.

As it's all continuously variable, I'm thinking of putting in some stepped attenuators. I was going to do them all, but I actually sort of like the variable controls. So it might be I'll just go for the gain, stepped. No L/R balance to worry about anyway. But ask me again after I've tried to recall it.

I put it after my Knif Pure Mu compressor. I've been missing some clean gain after it.

Also, I know the output of Roger's compressors should be a killer in driving a transformer, but to my surprise, the current feedback op-amp at the output of my BPEQ is much better at driving the input of my Knif (which is non-standard to the other Pure Mu's - 2k5 L-pad attenuator and an unbalanced input).

Anyhow, the P3S must be even better than my prototype. Everyone should get one.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

aleatoric

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 12:41:50 AM »

Loving my FCS P3S ME over here too.  Absolutely amazing compressor.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.