R/E/P > The Acid Test

ART VLA Pro II

<< < (3/5) > >>

Billy Yates:
I bought one of the older units only to find that one channel was really screwed up. The previous owner had attempted some "modifications" that were posted somewhere on the web and rightfully ruined it in the process. Even my considerable skills at repair weren't sufficient enough to replicate the original circuit. Too bad, because I thought the one good channel sounded pretty decent considering the low price. So, in light of that discovery, I would implore anyone NOT to modify these units at the board level unless you are confident in your skills to do so. The traces and through plating is very lightweight and can't handle a lot of heat without delamination or lifting. Aside from tube swapping, I would leave it alone and let it do it's thing. A great box for the money. BTW, a very well written review...Bravo!

Nacho:
I use my VLA Pro II on the Main Buss.  Not for compression because i really dont like the way it compresses but the color is pretty good for the price and it really warms up the digital sound of PT.  

Great Device!.

Nacho

KAyo:
... This close to getting one. Wondered and pondered, but then, decided to get a Phonic T8200 Tube Optimizer with Multi-band Compression instead. Similar ball park hardware. Although, Phonic seems a little bit better to me..

Cheers,
KAyo

Bill_Urick:
I love the product description:

Quote:

Make your audience say "Wow!" with the T8200 Tube Optimizer, the new generation two-channel professional audio compressor. The T8200 uses the high quality 12AX7s valve preamplifier, which is well known for generating warm and highly enriched sounds. In addition, the Tube Optimizer draws on the benefit of a potentiometer control to fine tune the input difference between the tube and the conventional semiconductor preamplifier, giving the user greater control and flexibility. On top of these inner strengths, the T8200's appealing faceplate is adorned with eight precision vintage VU meters. This tube compressor not only sounds good. It looks good too.

When I get permission to start using compressors, this one's for me.

Tomas Danko:
Bill_Urick wrote on Wed, 05 August 2009 10:39
I love the product description:

Quote:

Make your audience say "Wow!" with the T8200 Tube Optimizer, the new generation two-channel professional audio compressor. The T8200 uses the high quality 12AX7s valve preamplifier, which is well known for generating warm and highly enriched sounds. In addition, the Tube Optimizer draws on the benefit of a potentiometer control to fine tune the input difference between the tube and the conventional semiconductor preamplifier, giving the user greater control and flexibility. On top of these inner strengths, the T8200's appealing faceplate is adorned with eight precision vintage VU meters. This tube compressor not only sounds good. It looks good too.

When I get permission to start using compressors, this one's for me.

Phonic and Behringer used to be manufactured in the same factory. The T8200 is a starved plate POS with lots of cheap Op-amps everywhere.

But of course you knew that.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version