R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More SDE-1000 Issues: Signal noise  (Read 1622 times)

Dan Brandesky

More SDE-1000 Issues: Signal noise
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:53:55 PM »

(I cross-posted this from the PSW forums as I thought maybe someone here might know the issue as well).

Ok, I'm back again...I decided to post this as this problem only really occurs when I use the SDE in line with my Fender Rhodes piano, and not in regular "pro audio" situations. What is happening is that there is this sort of sizzle/hiss noise that comes through the speakers when I have the SDE hooked up, ONLY when I play a note on the Rhodes. The signal chain goes Rhodes->Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phaser->SDE-1000->Peavey Classic (the original I think) amp. The hiss noise does get louder, again only when I play notes for the most part, as I turn up the "delay out" knob. It is noticeable as background noise by the time you turn up the delay out to 10 though. Also, if I turn the delay out knob all the way down, the noise disappears.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on here and what I might be able to do to fix this? I didn't think this was characteristic of SDEs as lots of people seem to use them for guitars and other instruments. Maybe it's because I don't have an EFX loop in my amp for it?

-Dan

James Perrett

Re: More SDE-1000 Issues: Signal noise
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:23:49 AM »

I would guess that you are trying to use a line level device at instrument level (I've not used and SDE1000 for years but I don't remember it being an instrument level device). You really need to use a preamp before the SDE1000.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Dan Brandesky

Re: More SDE-1000 Issues: Signal noise
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »

Thanks, that's what I'm coming to realize. I was under the impression from the SDE documentation that it could handle instrument-level input, as you can switch the input to be -30 or -20, and the input attenuation covers a pretty wide range. I believe right now I have it set to the -20 position, and attenuation at -6, but impedance and things like that are probably the bigger concern and problem here. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on the pedal preamp that Seymour Duncan makes (forget the model), as it's the only linear (i.e. no mid boost) preamp I can find in that form factor.

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 19 queries.