R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! need the best capacitors/resistors replacements?  (Read 2986 times)

gearfreq

Help! need the best capacitors/resistors replacements?
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:40:01 AM »

Hey everyone! This is my first post so here it goes. I am modding a Studio Projects TB-1 and need some advice from some of you microphone gurus! I'm replacing the stock tran with Oliver's AMI T14/1 along with a NOS GE 6072a tube. I was wondering what are some of my options (brand/type) in replacing the cheap caps and resistors? I would like to replace them with the best quality possible. Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.Cheers  Very Happy !

A retouched pict(jeg) of the TB1's components are attached below for visualization. index.php/fa/10356/0/

Jim Williams

Re: Help! need the best capacitors/resistors replacements?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:50:23 AM »

The .022 uf mylar caps can be swapped for Wima MKP-2 .022 uf, 400 volt. If you make room, use MIT PPMFX .022 uf 630 volts. Resistors, use Vishay S-102's. The 200 meg should be an Ohmcraft plate resistor, consider raising it's value to 1 gig ohm to reduce low frequency THD. The 220 uf 16 volt should be a Panasonic FM 220 uf/25 volt or the Nichicon HE. The 1 uf 450 volt caps should be a Nichicon 1 uf/450 volt PW series, with the signal carrying cap bypassed with a .01 uf MIT PPMFX or Wima MKP-2 .01 630 volt.
The Vishay's and MIT caps are available from Michael Percy Audio, they run about $10 each. Contact Ohmcraft for the plate resistors. Mouser carries the Wima caps.
You did say "best".
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

a-phile

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »

The very best Capacitors that we've found for audio applications are VTW Ultra Tone. You can buy at http://www.vacuumtube.com/capacito.htm

The very best Resistors are RCD Components Inc Series LD Low Distortion Non-Magnetic Audio Series. http://www.rcdcomponents.com/rcd/film.htm

As for high-megohm resistors, RCD RH Series are professional grade. Ohmcraft should be fine too. Or just leave it alone since not likely to make much of a difference

Jim Williams

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »

I've never been able to fit a silver foil, paper in oil Ultratone cap into any mic, too big. I do use them in my console's mix stage and in my speaker crossovers, very good there. Also look at Mundorf silver foil caps from Germany.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Matt Allen

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »

a-phile wrote on Sun, 23 November 2008 14:47

The very best Capacitors that we've found for audio applications are VTW Ultra Tone. You can buy at http://www.vacuumtube.com/capacito.htm

I mean, are these things really that great? A $21 dollar cap seems a little silly to me.
I mean I use BC components, Panasonics, 105 degree ect in my audio applications, and true this caps look pretty big for most applications.  

Could someone explain why they might be so incredible?
Matt "Buster" Allen
www.allen-sound.com

maarvold

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:57:24 AM »

You could only say if they are worth the money TO YOU if you buy one (or more) and report back.  But different capacitors (and types of capacitors) have different sounds; it's just like drinking a great red wine in the wrong glass can significantly diminish its greatness.  And the quest for better gear rapidly escalates into "the law of diminishing returns"--meaning that you spend a lot more than where you are now and generally get only a bit more improvement.  But--paraphrasing the Tao Te Ching: "The very highest is barely known by man".  But some seek to invent or experience the very highest.  And sometimes they get rich or famous in the process.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Matt Allen

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:44:39 PM »

Well I'm always pretty skeptical about this audiophile stuff.
It's a good way to sell snake oil to people with money who are on a search for the "best", when the buyer isn't that much of a critical listener anyway.

I have heard that paper in oil caps are musical and a common place is 60's designs.

I'm more interested in trying them out in my '64 Bassman's audio path.

I may pull the trigger, what do you think Jim?
Matt "Buster" Allen
www.allen-sound.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.