R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Skinny on AKG's CK12 Capsule?  (Read 50696 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: The Skinny on the CK12?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »

Tim sent me one of his new CK12 copies, after I sent him some sound files of another one of his capsules and a really nice CK12, pointing out the one difference I would like to hear.  I have not had a chance to listen yet, but hopefully this week.  Swapping out CK12s is a supreme pain in the butt!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

maarvold

Re: The Skinny on the CK12?
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 11:29:53 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Fri, 20 March 2009 11:18

I will test two of Tim's CK12 capsule-restorations (the ones in the pictures he posted) in actual C12 mics  which are equipped with superb, stock CK12s.
So this would be an apples-to-apples comparison.

I hopefully will have time to write up something about the test results soon.

Klaus,

Any progress in this endeavor?  I've been interested to find out what you think.  And I'm hoping to be able to do an 'apples to apples' comparison between one of Tim's capsules and an original CK12 myself within the next month or so.  But I have some mic component decisions before I get to this.  I want to make sure the 2 mics are as identical (other than the capsules) as I can get them.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Tim Campbell

Re: The Skinny on AKG's CK12 Capsule?
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 04:03:37 AM »

Dear Klaus,
I understand your objection to this post and so have removed it. I only meant to report my own experiences last week. Sorry about this.
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk

Barry Hufker

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 11:06:20 AM »

Very august company Tim.  Certainly a solid pair of references.

Barry

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »

Tim,
Your 'report' straddles the line to advertisement, and uses third-party testimonials. Both are unappreciated in this forum.

But your post bugs me for another reason: I find these "trade show tests" notoriously unreliable because of the completely unsuitable environment for critical listening: unknown equipment, too much reverberant content, half the time the headphones are polarity-reversed...

I think your original idea of sending your test capsules to individual users of whom you ask for critical feedback after critical listening in their own, familiar and optimized listening environments makes a lot more sense towards perfecting a product. (I will do my part in that regard here shortly.)

At least at HiFi shows exhibitors, who can afford it, go through the effort of installing isolated and acoustically treated listening rooms, and let listeners bring source material they are familiar with.

I am amazed but not surprised that microphone exhibitors at trade shows keep doing this. Many of them go along with the protocol because show attendees keep coming and keep making serious, knowing facial expressions after such comparisons. Yet, many exhibitors shrug their shoulders and keep obliging. Who wants to argue with congratulatory affirmations to the exhibitor when he wins the test?

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

maarvold

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 04:18:59 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Sat, 11 April 2009 11:33

...I think your original idea of sending your test capsules to individual users of whom you ask for critical feedback after critical listening in their own, familiar and optimized listening environments makes a lot more sense towards perfecting a product. (I will do my part in that regard here shortly.)...

Tim hasn't asked me for feedback on the 2 CK12-type capsules I bought, but I will provide it at the point where I feel I can be accurate and concise.  And Klaus, I'm glad you'll get to an evaluation shortly, although I presume yours will be on a reskin.  For me, getting the time, resources and opportunity to really evaluate something properly can sometimes take several months.   But that doesn't mean I'm not impatient.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

k.wasley

Re: CK12 . . . .
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 01:56:54 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Fri, 28 November 2008 14:37

Tim Campbell wrote on Fri, 28 November 2008 12:23

I only know that if I believed that it was impossible to manufacture a new version of a capsule or remembrane one to sound as good as it was originally manufactured I wouldn't spend any more of my time doing it.

Looking forward to receiving and testing your CK12 version and sharing my findings!

Hi Klaus. I've been waiting patiently for you to voice your findings. Was wondering whether it might happen soon?

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »

Tim had reskinned two AKG CK12 I sent him a while back. The new diaphragms looked in their surface composition and sputtering thickness like the originals.

The workmanship was very good. No diaphragm wrinkles, glue remnants or inclusions (tiny foreign particles lodged between diaphragm and backplate.)
The four sides of the two capsules all sounded quite different from one another, where it was hard for me to grasp an average.

Tim and I agreed that I should have sent backplates/capsules whose condition and sub-components were better known up-front to compare the sonic outcome, which, in this case, was ok but not quite comparable to the sound of a well-working, original CK12.

He generously offered to redo these two capsules. I suggested a different path: to send him capsules whose sub-components are in better shape as building blocks for his work.
I am about to send off a couple of mid-sixties CK12 of which I have a better sense as to their suitability to a reskin. These capsules should be a better test case to evaluate the outcome.

Bottom line: at this point I have no clear impression whether Tim has currently achieved the excellence in the vein of a good AKG CK12.

But one thing is already clear: Tim is very easy to discuss these matters with; he is open to suggestions, and has never been offended or defensive when we discussed my comments and his path towards excellence. He also has another trait I value highly: he does not speak ill about his competitors or customers. He freely admits that he is eager to learn the trade until he has it right. To that end, he keeps calling me, inviting me to send him capsules, and critique his work.

I believe Tim strives hard to hopefully succeed soon in supplying reskins with comparable quality to original CK12.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

k.wasley

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »

Thanks so much Klaus. I really hope that day comes soon. Do you have any idea when you might have a verdict on the second run of capsules you sent?

Thanks again

jrmintz

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »

I'd like to add that I replaced a Peluso CK12 type with one of Tim Campbell's capsules in one of my mics and the difference is dramatic - more clarity, delicacy, openness, that elusive air. What I thought was clarity in the old capsule was really just a lot of harsh upper midrange. It's quite a welcome improvement.

Seth

Lars Danielsson

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009, 06:28:52 PM »

Could you recommend buying a Peluso P12 and change to the Tim Campbell
capsule?
Do you also think his capsule would work in AKG 414 EB?

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »

Hi Lars,

I have just ordered some capsules from Tim Campbell.

I must concur with everyone that he was a real pleasure to deal with.
He was always easy to deal with and nice-

I am replying because I in fact ordered two 414-style mount capsules from him. So I can answer that I do beleive he does offer that version of mount.  Perhaps he can confirm. He also offers "Mounts" for the capsules in C12 version-

Very handy as this can be difficult to find/machine. Not to mention  you have to find the correct screws..

At the SO reasonable price Tims is offering I think now would be an exellent time to jump on that-  I have not heard them yet  but I will report as soon as they are installed in microphones-

-j

Frankenheimer

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2009, 03:43:08 AM »

Of course the capsule will work in the 414EB. You get the capsule with the frame to mount it on the surface. Use the washer you have already (solder + - and gnd - not too hot !!!).Also my challenge was very hard to it the capsule in the CK4 housing. But it works perfect. We use it almost a year on every session. It has its own magic and every band was astonished how precise the details were delivered.
Franz
Franz Skale
http://dah.am/coding/
DAHAM RECORDINGS and codings

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »

Hi Lars,  

I should be testing them within a few weeks-

Have you seen JJ's comments abut them?

-j

Frankenheimer

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2009, 02:17:07 AM »

The preamp question was omitted on this thread. Try various preamps. You will hear sonic differences. We had best results with Neve 1272, Sytek MP4 and acousta. Take the U87 as an example on that. Connect it to a MP4 and hear.
Franz Skale
http://dah.am/coding/
DAHAM RECORDINGS and codings
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 18 queries.