R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Skinny on AKG's CK12 Capsule?  (Read 50694 times)

strangeandbouncy

The Skinny on AKG's CK12 Capsule?
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »

Hi Guys,

I may have got my hands on a bargain C12 - but it is without its capsule!

Any suggestion as to where I might find one would be most welcome!

Who might re-skin a dead one these days? Failing finding the real deal, does anyone make anything even close to the original? I believe that Haun is similar, but is it any good? Where do all the clones source theirs? Surely they can't all be NOS?

In a pinch, I could always chuck something cheap in (i.e. Peluso [?]), or perhaps my spare Gefell M7 or homemade Debenham, Stebbings, and Robinson capsule just to get it running, and wait for a real one to come along.

Just how different is a "new" CK12? I know from regular and long-time experience that, for instance, C12VR is a piece of unmitigated, staggering boredom compared to C12, but I would still say that it is quite a good mic, if acquired for a song! Would it be possible to fit any of these (physically) in real C12?

Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated, as ever!

Kindest regards,
ANdyP

J.J. Blair

Re: CK12 . . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:34:07 AM »

You do not want an M7 in there.  You are rather unlikely to find a spare NOS CK12.  If you do a search, there are many threads about this topic.  I don't see the point of putting a Haun or a Peluso in a real C12, personally.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 02:19:07 AM »

The state of CK12 copies is still pretty dismal, speaking from personal experience. This may be at least partially due to its complicated construction, which not even AKG was confident enough to undertake, after some serious contemplation a few years ago.

The usual sources for CK12: dilapidated or scavenged C12A, and all kinds of C412, C414 comb and C414 EB up to the series when the bodies turned from silver to black.

Yes, you could try the C12VR capsule (which is identical to the 414 TLII capsule in your mic. You will need another mount (easy to obtain) and you will not quite get the fabulous CK12 sound, but it may indeed limp you through nicely until you find a genuine CK12.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

strangeandbouncy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:41:26 AM »

Thanks very much for your replies. If anyone does come across a genuine CK12, and doesn't need it themselves( as if!), you know who, to contact!

All the best, ANdyP

Tim Campbell

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:10:55 AM »

Unfortunately, after some manufacturers began buying up old 414EB's, etc for 2,000 dollars and up to scavenge old "brass" capsules the availibility of these old mics seems to have dried up.

I disagree that all copies or remembraned versions of this capsule sound dismal. People manufacturing versions of this capsule would include myself, MBHO, Red, Josephson, Flea and I'm sure others that aren't on the tip of my tongue right now. All of these companies, including myself and a long list of others , repair these capsules.

I've heard, and others on this forum have stated that they've encountered copies or repairs that sound as good as original versions they own.

I'm afraid, given the state of availibilty of these capsules, that if you're waiting for someone to offer one for sale (that hasn't been repaired)for a reasonable price you'll be waiting quite a long time.
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »

I'm dying to hear Tim's CK12 copy.  When do we get to play with one?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Tim Campbell

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »

J.J.,
Anyone is free to contact me outside this forum but I try to do my best to not solicit business here.
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 02:42:04 PM »

Tim Campbell wrote on Fri, 28 November 2008 06:10

I disagree that all copies or remembraned versions of this capsule sound dismal. People manufacturing versions of this capsule would include myself, MBHO, Red, Josephson, Flea and I'm sure others that aren't on the tip of my tongue right now.

Tim,
Let's go through your list of vendors, because I am curious and eager to update my knowledge:

* Josephson. As far as I know, he exclusively delivers CK12-style capsules to a small mic manufacturer in L.A. I am not aware that you can send him your CK12 and he will reskin it (David?)

* MBHO makes variations, not exact copies, of the CK12 for another small manufacturer in L.A. I am not aware that he takes in original CK12 repairs for re-diaphragming.

* Flea manufactures and (re)diaphragms complete capsules? I was under the impression that he uses Thiersch's CK12 skinning (not quite there in CK-12 sound autheticity, as far as I am concerned.)

* I have not yet heard of RED CK12 diaphragming jobs.

Please enlighten us!

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Tim Campbell

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »

Klaus,
You're right about the re-diaphraming. I mention these manufacturers  and too hastily included them in my list of repairers.

In a long ago conversation with David Josephson he mentioned he could re-diaphram a capsule for me. These days I'm sure he's much too busy with his own products.

The same is true for MBHO. Many years ago Norbert Sobol mentioned that Haun had re-diaphramed some capsules for AKG but I know for a fact that they're much too busy these days to do this sort of work.

A direct quote from Flea's website states that their C12 clone is "equipped with an FK12 capsule which is our own exact replica of a CK12 capsule." They don't however mention re-membraning capsules.

There does seem to be , however, a long growing list of people that purport to re-diaphram these capsules to "original spec". I have no idea what kind of quality service they provide.

I only know that if I believed that it was impossible to manufacture a new version of a capsule or  remembrane one to sound as good as it was originally manufactured I wouldn't spend any more of my time doing it.

Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 03:37:07 PM »

Tim Campbell wrote on Fri, 28 November 2008 12:23

I only know that if I believed that it was impossible to manufacture a new version of a capsule or remembrane one to sound as good as it was originally manufactured I wouldn't spend any more of my time doing it.

Looking forward to receiving and testing your CK12 version and sharing my findings!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

nob turner

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 12:15:18 AM »

tim--

klaus is not the only guy who would like to know that your ck12's sound great.  if you are confident of them, i think it would be worth your while to let klaus, or jj, or someone else of repute try one out.  the resulting P.R. would undoubtedly help you out, if you are looking for work/sales.

james gangwer told me that the ck12's from 414EB's don't mount in a C12/C24 properly.  is this not so?  

(Maybe James can post his difficulties? I had not encountered problems so far. K.H.)
Why do you think they call it the control room?
www.garymankin.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 02:33:04 AM »

And let's get something straight: I am not of repute.  We'll leave that to others.
studio info

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 03:39:58 AM »

A few years ago I scoured the earth to find a CK12 (without a microphone)for a microphone I was having built.  There are some in existence but none to be had.  One person told me he wouldn't be selling any before he died.  I offered to kill him if it would speed things along...

I finally ended up with two - or should I say one and a half.  In any event, it is not a process I'd happily go through again.

Barry

MagnetoSound

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 07:00:03 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 29 November 2008 08:39

One person told me he wouldn't be selling any before he died.  I offered to kill him if it would speed things along...

Hmm, things are getting grisly out there!

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Donn Halliburton

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:26 PM »

So can someone explain the history of the different CK12 variations.  I see ones with a red coating on them, which many proport to be from later model mics (414 EB's and such).  Then I see the ones with the black around them, which are usually identified as older versions, and then I heard of an older version that was clear around the edge.  Is this true?  what variations and time frames exist on these capsules?

Donn
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.