R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quad Eight or MCI  (Read 2237 times)

miike

Quad Eight or MCI
« on: June 22, 2004, 08:47:22 AM »

Hey John, or others . Any thoughts, I may have 2 consoles to choose from for installation , a QE 248   24x 4 or an MCI 24x 8 400 w/jensen trans . Using for tracking with RADAR 24. I may get a dm1000 to aid in mixing due to the low channel count. Loooking for advice on sonic quality and tone between them. Thanks in advance..PS take it easy on me , Im a nubee

miike

Re: Quad Eight or MCI
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 09:17:40 AM »

Hello ,,,,Check.........is this thing on............?

John Klett

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 11:41:48 AM »

yep

well - the MCI400 is pretty basic in terms of features and so is the QE248.  The 248 is discrete and has an inductor based EQ while the 400 is chip based - I can't remember the EQ circuit offhand - and 400's, early black ones and the one white one I saw, had a load of 741 type amplifiers that could stand to be upgraded.  The 248 runs (I think) on higher voltage supplies...  

I guess it really going to come down to what sounds good to you, features, size and what practical issues and problems you want to deal with.  I have not rebuilt or seriously service a QE248 but I have done so with  larger modular discrete QE consoles.  I've also worked on quite a number of 400 consoles - though not recently.

Personally I'd rather have a discrete Quad Eight from a sound point of view but the frames are generaly going to be rough.  MCI desks are more practical and I'd go with a 500 series over 400 or 600 because they have 4 band inductor based EQ's and a ton of features - actually I have one...  and I also have a number of QE310 channel amplifiers so...  BOTH!
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

miike

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 06:17:36 PM »

Thank You John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.