R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RE 20 or SM 7B  (Read 12767 times)

ericswan

Re: RE 20 or SM 7B
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »

I like both mics a lot.

I use a Sm 7 for vocals, toms, bass guitar and upright bass especially tracking live with other instruments.

I like a RE 20 on voice overs, kick, Leslies and it is the best baritone sax mic.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." Oscar Wilde

Sacred Heart Studio
www.sacredheartstudio.net
www.myspace.com/sacredheartstudio

C.Cash

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 03:44:09 PM »

My conclusions;

I ran tracks on both mics,

1. My voice talking.
  SM7- I could not seem to get a nice sound no matter what setting. I found it harsh and annoying.
   RE20-  Much smoother than the SM7 but I find it lacks presence. However I think it will do well on other vocals.

2. Snare.
   SM7- Again very annoying and harsh.
   RE20- I think it could be usable depending on the type of song but I prefer the SM57 (flame away).

3. Guitar cabinet
   SM7- No way!!! zero tone, harsh.
   RE20- Sorry, the acm900 has me spoiled, again this mic lacks presence. IMO.

Thanks.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Fig

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 05:07:37 PM »

CC,

Have you adjusted the EQ on the SM-7.  Not on your channel strip or a plug-in but ON THE MIC BODY?

It could be in presence-peak mode?  Combined with the other switch's low-end rolloff can result in the sounds you describe for reasons I find to be obvious, but perhaps unclear to you?

Set them to flat.

If you are not getting good guitar cab tones from an SM-7 set to flat - its in the wrong location, there's something wrong with the SM-7 or the tone at the source ain't helpin', IMO.

If I am not being clear, there are two switches on the back of the mic - sometimes covered by a plate that "locks-out" the setting of choice.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a low-end adjustment switch on the RE-20, too.  Didja try that?

Use them on Kick... er, uh... bass drum and confirm the switch settings for my own curiousity, please.

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Derek DiFilippo

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 03:43:27 AM »

Hey CC,

I have owned both the RE20 and the SM7B for a few years.  After a lot of A/B-ing, I've come to the conclusion that the Shure KSM32 3/4" diaphragm condenser is a better choice than either of these mics in almost all situations.  Insert caveats, IMOs, etc., etc.  

Kind of outside the norm and definitely not what I expected given the history and general reputation of the RE20 and the SM7B.  My clients and I agreed in all cases.  When I would swap out either of these mics and put in the KSM32, everyone was happier.  

I've used the KSM32 to close mic snares, I've used it in a kick drum, for tracking vocals, on guitar amps, on bass amps, and on sharply transient things like banjo and percussion, etc., etc., in a lot of different situations.  It's never sounded *unusable* and many times it's been the best of the options I've had (ie: better than the SM7B or RE20 or other condensers that were around).

The KSM32 has a very flat and even response without any intentionally added presence or emphasis in the >5k range.  Same general traits of quality LD dynamics.

If you're looking for a utility mic along the lines of a SM7B or RE20, see if you can check out a KSM32 and give it the same tests you have given the other mics (voice, snare, guitar).  If your ears are like mine you might find it to be a better investment for all-around duties.  As a bonus they are very solidly built and the stand mount that comes with it is very effective.

C.Cash wrote on Tue, 16 December 2008 12:44

My conclusions;

I ran tracks on both mics,

1. My voice talking.
  SM7- I could not seem to get a nice sound no matter what setting. I found it harsh and annoying.
   RE20-  Much smoother than the SM7 but I find it lacks presence. However I think it will do well on other vocals.

2. Snare.
   SM7- Again very annoying and harsh.
   RE20- I think it could be usable depending on the type of song but I prefer the SM57 (flame away).

3. Guitar cabinet
   SM7- No way!!! zero tone, harsh.
   RE20- Sorry, the acm900 has me spoiled, again this mic lacks presence. IMO.

Thanks.

C.Cash

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »

Fig wrote on Tue, 16 December 2008 16:07

CC,

Have you adjusted the EQ on the SM-7.  Not on your channel strip or a plug-in but ON THE MIC BODY?

It could be in presence-peak mode?  Combined with the other switch's low-end rolloff can result in the sounds you describe for reasons I find to be obvious, but perhaps unclear to you?

Set them to flat.

If you are not getting good guitar cab tones from an SM-7 set to flat - its in the wrong location, there's something wrong with the SM-7 or the tone at the source ain't helpin', IMO.

If I am not being clear, there are two switches on the back of the mic - sometimes covered by a plate that "locks-out" the setting of choice.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a low-end adjustment switch on the RE-20, too.  Didja try that?

Use them on Kick... er, uh... bass drum and confirm the switch settings for my own curiousity, please.

Fig

Hey Fig, I am hoping to track drums this weekend.I will try them both on the bass drum.
 As for the settings on the SM7, I'm quite sure that I tried them all and I did experiment with positioning on the cabinet (Ac30/Alnico Celestions). It was not horrible but I have gotten better sound with other mics like SM57/58, PR40.ACm 2 ribbon and my new favorite the ACM900 ribbon. Perhaps I am doing something wrong with the settings?
 How would you set the SM7 to mic a bass drum, settings and position? I will give it a try.

Thanks.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Fig

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 01:55:49 PM »

C.Cash wrote on Wed, 17 December 2008 14:57

How would you set the SM7 to mic a bass drum, settings and position? I will give it a try.

I would set the switches for no-roll-off, no-presence-peak in most cases.

Physical position would, of course, be where it sounds best <wink>.  What I mean is, I've found every drum is different as is the person playing it - too many variables for a "silver bullet answer" there.

Keep at it!

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Brian Kehew

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 05:29:21 AM »

Over time, I got tired of the "hardness" in the SM7 sound. It is unique though.

RE-20 always sounds dull to me, which is great for dark and low things. It likes deep bass but is far from flat or transparent in the low regions.
Relax and float downstream...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.