R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting desk with external converters / soundcard  (Read 1387 times)

karambos

Connecting desk with external converters / soundcard
« on: June 22, 2004, 07:49:32 AM »

I presently have a 2 in/ 2 out sound card from emagic and I am looking around for an upgrade. I need an 8 in 8 out card lwith an external AD/DA converter ike the MOTU mk2/3 or the Aardvarkq10 etc etc. - the reason being, I'd like to record drums with a track per mic. (as you can imagine, trying to record drums on just two tracks is hard work)

However, I'm trying to imagine just what I would need. I have a 16 track, analogue, mixing desk with 4 subgroups. How would I connect to a breakout box? Would you normally go via the subs or take a direct out from each individual tracks? How do people who have bigger desks than mine (i.e. 8 subs or more) do this?

I'd be grateful for any advice concerning just how to connect the desk with the external converters (or would you just go straight into the converters?) and particularly any recommendations for semi-pro quality sound cards (I'll probably buy it second hand so recommendations for cards that are no longer available or older models are also welcome)

PS - I need at least one digital in/out if anyone is thinking of suggesting a specific card
all the fun of
www.thefair.de

natpub

Re: Connecting desk with external converters / soundcard
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 12:38:09 AM »

I would not suggest putting your board in the chain, unless you think it's pre's are really solid or you simply must have the EQ off your board.

If so, just take the line outs from the channels into the line in of the breakout box.

Otherwise, go into your DAW with as minimal a chain as possible would be my suggestion, unless you have very quiet gear, or stuff with that special kind of "desireable distortion" Smile

Also, while the pre's are a little noisy in the Q10, they may be better than what you have. It's converters and clock are pretty decent for most home use. I like the shielding they put around their PCI card.

Cheers,
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

John Ivan

Re: Connecting desk with external converters / soundcard
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 10:21:53 AM »

Hi there;

The above is good advise. If you can, go straight from your pre's,into the box. If all you have is the console pre's, you can come out of the insert per pre amp on the first 8 channels and monitor through the last 8.{or you can monitor through the monitor out of the card}. If you have out board pre's that you like better, go straight off those. Sometimes , I need lots of pre's and run everything through my console busses to record and while this is not quite as clean and I'm running through more stuff, If I gain stage everything right, it sounds fine.

The 20 bit Layla cards can be had really cheap and I think they sound fine. Mine has worked hard and sounded fine for a long time.

The thing to do is listen to the different ways to get into the computer. Maybe the busses on your mixer have a sound that works for some stuff. Look into getting a patch bay. This could make life easier for you once it's hooked up.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.