R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bang for the Buck: More HD Cards or Bigger CPU?  (Read 816 times)

Steve Hudson

Bang for the Buck: More HD Cards or Bigger CPU?
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »

We have a PT HD Accel 2 rig and are considering upgrading. I searched for a thread that discussed the merits of buying an additional Pro Tools process card for additional TDM plug-in processing power versus buying a faster Mac and using more RTAS plug-ins. Couldn't find anything that spoke to this. I'm going to assume for simplicity's sake that the cost of each option is the same. Our current setup covers all our I/O needs (16 in, 32 out). Which direction would you recommend?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Rader Ranch

Re: Bang for the Buck: More HD Cards or Bigger CPU?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:00:07 PM »

While I"m relatively sure that the cost isn't the same, I'd lean towards the faster mac either way, 'cause it'll have benefits past just PT.

An additional reason for me is that my PPC dual 2.5 (you didn't say what comp you have), which at 4 years old is still doing fine with my usage of soft synths, plugs etc, is unfortunately also known for leaking its precious bodily fluids and then overheating....so it's that worry that has me thinking upgrade more than any current performance issue (I have an HD3 Accel).
scott...

Steve Hudson

Re: Bang for the Buck: More HD Cards or Bigger CPU?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »

A used Accel card on ebay is about $1500-$1700 and the incremental cost for me to sell our G5 dual 2 GHz and buy a quad core Mac Pro (I used to run a local Apple dealer so I get it at cost from the owner) is the same.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 16 queries.