R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tube amp driving More Me phones  (Read 3162 times)

Mike Dunn

tube amp driving More Me phones
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »

I've got 3 small tube PA amps that use EL84 pairs in their power sections. I want to add three more mono cue mixes for phones, in addition to the single mono mix I provide at the moment through a Carver power amp. All three amps have 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs, and it's my understanding that More Me headphones use 32 ohm ear pieces. So if I switch the More Mes to mono, one pair should present a 16 ohm load to the matching amp output, correct?
With the solid-state Carver, I've been able to just daisy-chain pairs without worrying about manually impedence matching... then again, I managed to blow the right ear on 3 pairs of More Mes last month, so trying to move forward with a bit more care..

hargerst

Re: tube amp driving More Me phones
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »

Correct, in mono, they're 16 Ohms.  As far as the 3 blown pair, I'll replace them for free, send me an email.  Shouldn't happen.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Mike Dunn

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:14:34 AM »

Very cool! e-mail is away, Thanks Harvey!

johnR

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »

Beware of running the tube amps into no load, ie. with the headphones unplugged. Unless the output stages have flyback protection diodes (not very common) you could burn out the output transformers.

Mike Dunn

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »

Thanks for the reminder, yes, I'm planning on hardwiring one pair of phones in mono to each amp's 16 ohm output, so unplugging won't be a simple mistake to make. The amps will be located close to each performer in the tracking room to provide "more me" mixing using their 3 input controls.

klaukholm

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »

We have run 40 headsets of the moreme of each of the 150w outputs of a LAB300 amp using SAT1 boxes. No problem.
With certain amps we have experienced severe distortion.
I would either get some SAT1, furman HR2 or build your own distribution with appropriate resistors etc.

Kjetil Laukholm
CK Recording
Malmö Symphony Orchestra
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.