R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tascam CDR-2000: Recordings will not work on all CD players  (Read 2815 times)

Steve Kreidler

I use a Tascam CDR-2000 cd recorder in 4 different Venues I work at (These are live-sound recordings). I have noticed that the master will not play back in some CD players even though the disk is "finalized." At times I have people tell me the copies will not play in their CD players.

Any thoughts about why that is....solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
"No one can possibly achive any real and lasting success by being a conformist." J. Paul Getty, 1961

kents

Re: Tascam CDR-2000: Recordings will not work on all CD players
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 12:38:48 PM »

1) It could be that CDRs don't play in those machines.

2) If some CDRs play and others don't, then it's the brand/type of CDR that you're using.

Simple as that.
Kent W. Smith

Brent Handy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 04:54:38 PM »

I am not familiar with that machine first hand, as I use a Masterlink.  Here is my two cents anyway.  

Finalization has nothing to do with compatibility.

For best compatibility, make it a Red Book disc.  This puts the TOC on it, and it will be accepted by most newer generation
CD players.  If you cannot burn a Red Book disc, then that may be the problem right there, as most older CD players need the TOC.  On the flip side, there are older generations CD and DVD players (that play CD's) that will not play a burned Red Book disc from a CD-R or CD-RW drive.  

The discs that you are using should not be an issue.  The only issue with blank media CD's would be in the burning of the disc in your machine.  If the Tascam burns a disc, and it sounds like it does, and you have no errors, etc., then the type of disc that you are using should not be the problem.  It is a format issue as stated above.

kents

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 12:39:02 PM »

"The discs that you are using should not be an issue. "

Respectfully disagree.

There is a great variability between brands, and sometimes the same brand may be different from lot to lot. Some "brands" aren't brands at all - they're just a company who markets the CDRs and source from the cheapest bid they can get at the moment.

You'll notice that some blanks have a green tint, others a blue tint and so on. The reflective properties of these may render a disk playable on one unit - and another disk unplayable on the same unit even though both are CDRs. And it really doesn't matter what the source of burning - it's the unit attempting to play that I'm talking about.

The type of CDR matters for burning too, but in addressing the question asked, this matter is germaine.

Kent
Kent W. Smith

djui5

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 06:09:34 AM »

kents wrote on Sun, 13 June 2004 10:39

"The discs that you are using should not be an issue. "

Respectfully disagree.

Kent

I agree with you Kent. I've burned cd's from the same burner, in the same fashion and some brands will play in everything..and some won't. The only difference was the brand of cd-r....true A/B testing...
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

bloodstone

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 07:26:05 AM »

I had the impression that the only device a CD-R is guaranteed to play on is the one it was burned on, regardless of what media you use.

Dominic Carpin
Studio Wee

amorris

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 04:54:17 PM »

i dont know if this is stilltrue, but when we used to have trouble with cross-manufacturs compatibilty, we found that some discs were physically thinner than others and would be unstable in certain brand players and putting the stick-on label before burning would press on the inner workings of the platter and it would be more stable.it has been a few years since this has been a a specific issue. now it seems that half the discs in a spindle would even start to write and i have to use another. just an idea to try!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.