R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony new Blue Spec CD  (Read 2931 times)

Alécio Costa - Brazil

Sony new Blue Spec CD
« on: November 09, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »

Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

TotalSonic

Re: Sony new Blue Spec CD
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:31:37 AM »

I have a feeling this format will be just as successful as DCC - i.e. generating even way less interest than previous format failures like prerecorded MiniDisc, Laser Disc, DVD-Audio, HD-DVD, Beta VCR, 8-track cassette, and quadrophonic LP.

If people are interested in a high fidelity format that actually makes sense for the future then I think a much better push would be in getting content providers (i.e. artists and labels), digital distributors, and media player manufacturers to support a standardized lossless compression codec (hopefully something open source like FLAC) to allow for 24bit/48kHz+ downloads being able to be easily portable and playable.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:51:40 AM »

Record companies are scared. Retailers are scared. CD Sales are really really down. If you go to places like Borders there are less and less CDs and more and more DVDs.

Our local Borders cut their CD room in half. The one half of the room has CDs and DVDs the other half of the room has Pilate's equipment and audio books. The DVD section is growing like cancer and the Classical CD area has shrunk to a couple of bins with only the most popular artists represented. It is not a pretty world out there for CDs. The Best Buys that are near here are reshuffling their merchandising and giving more and more space to DVDs and Games. Our local Circuit City store will be closed by the holidays. There are NO mom and pop CD stores left and even the big CD retailers in this area have closed most if not all of their mall stores.

I am sure that Sony thinks that people will rush right out and get these new Blu disks because that is what the average person has always done in the past (look at all the people who had large record collections and tossed them all out for CDs of the same albums) but I don't think it is going to work this time around.

My niece use to walk around with a CD player. She was never more than an arm's length from it all during the day when she was not in school. In the past two years she moved over to Ipods and ITunes and now has TWO Ipods. Her CD collection has been transferred to Itunes and into her Ipod and those CDs are now sitting in her parent's garage. She downloads most of her new music off the WWW from the Itunes store and has not bought a CD in months. What she does buy is a lot of DVDs which she watches in her room. Talking to other friends and the students that work with me this seems to be the Modus operandi of most young people today. I think we have seen the peak of CD usage and now we are on the downward side and most media in the future will be downloaded off the WWW. My mentor, who is seldom wrong, says that in the future it will all be about content and not the media it is imprinted on. Probably very true.

I wish Sony only the best but I think it is going to be an uphill fight and one they will probably lose in the cash flow department.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Ed Littman

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:28:14 AM »

Maybe this is the future.....(CODE)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1 96633-t-bone-burnetts-code-format.html

Ed

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »

Hmmm raises questions in my mind.

Should prove interesting to do a blindfold test of "Kind of Blue" between the CD and the Blu-spec CD... and then SACD.

From skimming thru the articles aren't they just recutting the master disc with a blue laser instead of red, claiming the pits are cut more accurately with a blue laser?

What if there is no master disc, glass master is cut from a DDP image delivered on DVD-R?

Sounds like an audiofile marketing gimmick.

Perhaps Sony decided the the whole problem with SACD was that the consumer had to buy a proprietary player, so they're looking for another avenue... playable on existing equipment.

Wonder what our friend Mark Wilder would have to say about Blu-spec?

Curious - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

turtletone

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 12:17:37 PM »

well the unfortunate side effect of sony dominating the HD arena is that the licensing fees are cutting out the small guys from participating. At least that's what's happened with HD video, so it'll probably happen with Blue-CD. It's some crazy blue ray licensing fee of like $5000 (not sure the exact amount) that pretty much cuts out all but the big guys from playing. So while this looks cool and can play on blue ray players, most of the industry will probably not participate.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Mon, 10 November 2008 12:17

, most of the industry will probably not participate.

I don't see anything compelling in the format to get even a few consumers to participate either.

memo to audio format creators:
Another optical disc audio format is NOT wanted!!  

Again - what I think we really need are better lossless codecs (i.e. it would be nice to figure out a way to break the current approximate 2.5:1 data compression ratio barrier) - and we need the widest possible range of media player manufacturers to adopt full support for a standard single lossless codec (which in a best case scenario would be non-proprietary and open source).

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.