R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sarah Palin blamed by the US Secret Service over death threats against Barack Obama  (Read 5908 times)

zmix

Sarah Palin blamed by the US Secret Service over death threats against Barack Obama

The Republican vice presidential candidate attracted criticism for accusing Mr Obama of "palling around with terrorists", citing his association with the sixties radical William Ayers.

The attacks provoked a near lynch mob atmosphere at her rallies, with supporters yelling "terrorist" and "kill him" until the McCain campaign ordered her to tone down the rhetoric.

But it has now emerged that her demagogic tone may have unintentionally encouraged white supremacists to go even further.

The Secret Service warned the Obama family in mid October that they had seen a dramatic increase in the number of threats against the Democratic candidate, coinciding with Mrs Palin's attacks.

Michelle Obama, the future First Lady, was so upset that she turned to her friend and campaign adviser Valerie Jarrett and said: "Why would they try to make people hate us?"

The revelations, contained in a Newsweek history of the campaign, are likely to further damage Mrs Palin's credentials as a future presidential candidate. She is already a frontrunner, with Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, to take on Mr Obama in four years time.

Details of the spike in threats to Mr Obama come as a report last week by security and intelligence analysts Stratfor, warned that he is a high risk target for racist gunmen. It concluded: "Two plots to assassinate Obama were broken up during the campaign season, and several more remain under investigation.
We would expect federal authorities to uncover many more plots to attack the president that have been hatched by white supremacist ideologues."

Irate John McCain aides, who blame Mrs Palin for losing the election, claim Mrs Palin took it upon herself to question Mr Obama's patriotism, before the line of attack had been cleared by Mr McCain.

That claim is part of a campaign of targeted leaks designed to torpedo her ambitions, with claims that she did not know that Africawas a continent rather than a country.

The advisers have branded her a "diva" and a "whack job" and claimed that she did not know which other countries are in the North American Free Trade Area, (Canada and Mexico). They say she spent more than $150,000 on designer clothes, including $40,000 on her husband Todd and that she refused to prepare for the disastrous series of interviews with CBS's Katie Couric.

In a bid to salvage her reputation Mrs Palin came out firing in an interview with CNN, dismissing the anonymous leakers in unpresidential language as "jerks" who had taken "questions or comments I made in debate prep out of context."

She said: "I consider it cowardly. It's not true. That's cruel, it's mean-spirited, it's immature, it's unprofessional and those guys are jerks if they came away taking things out of context and then tried to spread something on national news that's not fair and not right."

She was not asked about her incendiary rhetoric against Mr Obama. But she did deny the spending spree claims, saying the clothes in question had been returned to the Republican National Committee. "Those are the RNC's clothes, they're not my clothes. I asked for anything more than maybe a diet Dr Pepper once in a while. These are false allegations."

Speaking as she returned to her native Alaska, Mrs Palin claimed to be baffled by what she claims was sexism on the national stage. "Here in Alaska that double standard isn't applied because these guys know that Alaskan women are pretty tough, on a par with the men in terms of being outdoors, working hard," she said.
"They're commercial fishermen, they're pilots, they're working up on the North slopein the oil fields. You see equality in Alaska. I think that was a bit of as surprise on the national level."

rnicklaus

Country First.
R.N.

John Ivan

I have two questions. When was there ever any sexism regarding Palin? When will Mr. McCain come out and apologize to the American people for unwisely choosing the nut case from Alaska?

This is getting sota weird and scary now. A few words from old Johnny boy might be helpful here. He already lost, he's never running again, and admitting this was a mistake would be good for the country.

My two cents.

Ivan.................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

jimlongo

The democrats should extend the invitation they made to McCain in 2004 to join them.

John Ivan

jimlongo wrote on Sun, 09 November 2008 20:18

The democrats should extend the invitation they made to McCain in 2004 to join them.

Yeah, he needs some time to chill and consider how badly things went this time around.. He certainly wont run again.. I think Obama will be reaching out to him and the other way around is true also, I'm sure..

I gotta tell ya, I'm pissed of at McCain right now for letting his campaign sink into the poop filled mud of 'roveian' "all or nothing" tactics, but I'll get over it in time IF he goes back to work and gets serious.

I thought McCain gave a good speech on election night, and some of the reaction from the crowed disappointed him. He MUST be doing some reflecting, and looking inward at this point. It was really quite the mess, and It's still not at all clear to me how this thing came off the rails for him SO BADLY. I was surprised by this actually.

Ivan...............
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Larrchild

index.php/fa/10314/0/
"Im Meltiiiiiiing!"
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

John Ivan

HA! Nice Larry.. You're crazy.. Where on the "interwebnets thingy", ARE you getting these? Or, are you just a bad Moe' Foe' with the mighty and powerful Photo Shop?..

I wonder who's putting the fire out regarding all this 'Yeah, but she was a dumb bitch!'{paraphrasing} stuff coming from the old 'handlers' in the McCain camp?

The truth is, they can never win a blame argument. They did pick here after all. They all but lied, well No- I mean they lied about having vetted her to begin with. I repeat, HOW in the world does McCain allow this to happen? Quite amazing to me still.

I don't mean to say that she's making good arguments for having gone off the reservation on topics and tone, or refusing to properly prep for national interviews and so on, but she will always be able to say "Hey, if they didn't know who I was when they called me and asked me to join them, what does that say to ya? That they didn't do their home work? You betcha!!"

I just loved the "jerk's" comment she made, she looks relieved to be back in Alaska, where they Practice equality compared to the lower 49 Laughing She's a a fine piece of work.. And not bad looking either.. Just sayin'..

What she did was very dangerous though. You don't go out of your way to wind up the nut job core of the party. Very bad news there, and extremely bad judgment.. I feel horrible for the Obama family. This is scary stuff.

Ivan...............

cerberus

Love is Kinda Crazy With a Spooky Little Girl Like You
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 11:59:59 PM »

she and her adorable family have been the subject of  some
fine photographs. here are two i will always remember:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/bristol-palin-sarah-palin.jpg

http://needlenose.com/i/swopa/PalinVotingBooth.jpg

Barry Hufker

Re: Love is Kinda Crazy With a Spooky Little Girl Like You
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »

index.php/fa/10322/0/

Caption: Uh, Oh... I've been cooped up here in this "Democrat blind" hoping to find Democrats I can shoot at.  It looks as tho' a few might be coming this way...  I'd better hide...

rnicklaus

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:42:50 AM »

Sarah Palin, the family values candidate, turned her unwed, pregnant teen daughter into some kind of heroic family win to the conservatives.

Fox News did not spin very kindly towards Britney Spears sister - pregnant at the same age.  They blamed the lack of parenting.

Hypocrisy anyone?

R.N.

MDM,

the soap continues.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

rnicklaus

MDM, wrote on Mon, 10 November 2008 02:59

the soap continues.

The soap opera candidates and platform were soundly defeated.
R.N.

RSettee

Larrchild wrote on Sun, 09 November 2008 20:35

index.php/fa/10314/0/
"Im Meltiiiiiiing!"

Oh man, that's the best laugh i've had all day. Kudos and bonus points to the caption, because that really put it in perspective.....the bad guy (woman) is melting, fading away.

For some reason though, with the death threats that have unfortunately happened for Obama, this win for the good guys seems like the false ending to a book....where something evil happens. It seems too easy, it seems too unreal to think that the good guys have won here. Call me pessimistic.... I certainly hope that i'm wrong. It just seems like although the witch has melted, that her puddle may have spawned it's own evil--the hatred and intolerance that exists in quiet but vocal corners of the US.

As Palin is a "proper" white married, upstanding woman, something about her squeaky clean family scares the bejeezus out of me....namely because in my life in 30 years on this planet, I rarely knew any families that weren't dysfunctional, due to many, many things. Even when those proper families seemed to have it all, there was a sudden divorce due to abuse or cheating or other issues, there was an alcohol problem, depression problems, arguments behind the scenes, where the people that stayed together ended up hating each other's guts in the end.

It's almost as if a proper family is dysfunctional because they aren't even honest enough with themselves that they're dysfunctional, hah. Everyone has something that they're running from, it's part of being human.

She didn't seem to be too vocal about her pregnant, unwedded teen daughter, nor her daughter's apparently "redneck" boyfriend. You didn't hear too much about that guy, and probably with good reason.

RSettee

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »

rnicklaus wrote on Mon, 10 November 2008 01:42

Sarah Palin, the family values candidate, turned her unwed, pregnant teen daughter into some kind of heroic family win to the conservatives.

Fox News did not spin very kindly towards Britney Spears sister - pregnant at the same age.  They blamed the lack of parenting.

Hypocrisy anyone?

Yeah, actually, i'm glad you mentioned "hypocrisy", Randy. I was getting at that in my post above this one. Again, something about her "squeaky clean" family, smiling daughters and chiselled husband lurks a hypocrisy that I think only manifests itself the more that they try to prove that they're as perfect as they'd like people to think that they actually are. They're the type of folks that like to believe that they've moved into the 2000's, are "with it" and well educated, but I don't think that they are. Call it a hunch, but some of the hatred that was propagated by Palin (seemingly without McCain's approval) was through, what I believe, to be the theory of "well, this guy is good, but he's black....he can't be the president".

The funniest thing here? McCain seems like the good guy! I think that he had the unfortunate task of being a Republican after 8 years of the Republican's demolishing of the economy, and also because Palin and he had differed on an increasing amount of things during their campaign that only served to point out how hasty and ill conceived that the Palin thing was. I don't believe McCain to have picked Palin....I think that it was the Republican party that wanted another Cheney calling the shots from the sidechair. I could be wrong, but that's my belief. McCain wasn't the moldable, malleable guy that Bush was--we saw that when he got booed for saying that Obama was "a good man", after that old woman called Obama an arab. Palin was closer to being that moldable person, because she would do anything for power. I truly believe that. And when a person has that sort of a quest for power, when they'll do anything to get there, to lie and cheat and step over people, I think that would have made her 20 times scarier than George W. Bush.

And her character came out in the last couple of months that, to me, made her much more of a loose cannon and potential nouveau fascist than I ever would like to see in the office of the United States of America.

Larrchild

I understand your fear. Like the film "Alien", the GOP seems defeated now, only to have a small amount of protoplasm in a remote crevice of the ship remain to return to it's full death-swath and ensure a sequel for Sigourney Weaver later.
Republicans love sequels.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.