R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe guitar amplifier  (Read 24609 times)

kats

Re: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe guitar amplifier
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2009, 11:03:29 PM »

rob s wrote on Sun, 19 July 2009 21:30

i bought a 63 vibro verb re issue sight unseen based having played a real one.
what a shrill piece of shit that re issue is.
even with retubing and speakering.
yuch.

I think your exaggerating. I play originals side by side with the thing and it is anything but shrill. Especially with those Oxford speakers. Grungy yeah, but not shrill. Actually I remember Joe Perry used one with the stock speakers on one of their '90s albums.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

iCombs

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »

Sean Eldon Qualls wrote on Mon, 20 July 2009 18:58

I played a new Hot Rod Deluxe in NY this weekend at an old friend's house. We could get it plenty loud and definitely weren't in a loud guitar store.

I hope the "originals" fetch outrageous vintage dollars in 30 years. Quite proportionately, blue tolex is the new silverface. Only silverface amps still rock'n'roll without the icepicks.

Please say you're kidding.

Pretty please.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »

iCombs wrote on Tue, 28 July 2009 14:37

I played a new Hot Rod Deluxe in NY this weekend at an old friend's house. We could get it plenty loud and definitely weren't in a loud guitar store.

I hope the "originals" fetch outrageous vintage dollars in 30 years. Quite proportionately, blue tolex is the new silverface. Only silverface amps still rock'n'roll without the icepicks.

Pretty please.

Mostly kidding. Find my original post in this thread where I voice tremendous disgust for the original Hot Rod amps.
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »

I wager that the claim that new greenbacks sound like the old ones would be quickly left if there was an A/B comparison-  It is wild how much worse the news ones are---   They are better than most new speakers  but do not caome close to the real deal..  1969-1971  is the Golden era for greenbacks  imo

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »

I was in a GC, in OKC a few weeks ago and saw there, 2 very old looking Fender combos. I think they were both Super Reverbs. One was silver faced and the other black, and the one I could see into the back of had small blockish magnets on the back. They were asking 2K for it. The other was like 1.6K or 1.8K. I don't know if they worked or not. They were beaten up, and covered with dust and cob webs. There was an equally bad looking Princeton there beside them aswell. Can't recall it's price.

I thought at the time, they've got to be kidding? Am I wrong?

Sorry no pictures. My cell phone I just use for verbal communication. It has no camera. And being in a GC I wasn't expecting to see anything worth photographing.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

iCombs

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »

Sean Eldon Qualls wrote on Tue, 28 July 2009 13:58

iCombs wrote on Tue, 28 July 2009 14:37

Pretty please.

Mostly kidding. Find my original post in this thread where I voice tremendous disgust for the original Hot Rod amps.

I vaguely remember such a post.  Really the Silverface reference scared me more.  Though I suppose the odd good sounding silverface amp does actually exist.  I played a Pro Reverb that was actually quite nice.  But that seemed to be the exception rather than the rule with Silverface.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »

iCombs wrote on Tue, 28 July 2009 16:38

I vaguely remember such a post.  Really the Silverface reference scared me more.  Though I suppose the odd good sounding silverface amp does actually exist.  I played a Pro Reverb that was actually quite nice.  But that seemed to be the exception rather than the rule with Silverface.

I actually love most Silverface Bassmans (Bassman Amp, Bassman 50, Bassman 70) and some Pro Reverbs. You just gotta go into playing them without thinking it's gonna be a '65. It won't be. Doesn't sag. They do rock...but in a more solid and focused way.

Silverface amps from '68 (aluminum trim around the grill) are awesome, almost universally.

The new Hot Rod amps are dogs, though. Three legged dogs.
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

compasspnt

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »

Early silverface amps are often great.  It took them a while to start changing the insides, so almost the only change at first was the actual silver plate itself.

Then over time they started changing the rest of them...

Leslie Hammond

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Tue, 28 July 2009 14:03

I wager that the claim that new greenbacks sound like the old ones would be quickly left if there was an A/B comparison-  It is wild how much worse the news ones are---   They are better than most new speakers  but do not caome close to the real deal..  1969-1971  is the Golden era for greenbacks  imo

I agree.

I have done a careful comparison of my pre-Rola original G12M to some Celestion Greenback reissues from '01. The original sounds exactly like my favorite old records. The reissues are certainly in this direction and sound pretty good, but they just don't have the awe inspiring magical tone of the original.

Has anyone tried the Weber Greenback clone?

[I edited this post.  I had mistakenly typed that the reissues were from '91 instead of '01.]

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »

Leslie Hammond wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 20:04

I agree.

I have done a careful comparison of my pre-Rola original G12M to some Celestion Greenback reissues from '01. The original sounds exactly like my favorite old records. The reissues are certainly in this direction and sound pretty good, but they just don't have the awe inspiring magical tone of the original.

Has anyone tried the Weber Greenback clone?

[I edited this post.  I had mistakenly typed that the reissues were from '91 instead of '01.]

And that's without accounting for however the album was mixed. I really take some of these comments with a grain of salt, as a finished mix is rarely without processing of some kind, plus mastering as well.

However, it is cool to find that sometimes you do have a piece of gear that sounds easily like part of a finished mix. It does make it easier to get that one particular sound. At least until you do the current songs' mix that is... Wink

Also, a lot of posts keep referring back to the originals, when my original post was never meant to compare the new to the old, simply to state my satisfaction with the particular amplifier I have.

But in the Internets this usually happens...sidetracking into this-or-that speaker, sag, tubes etc... I do hope to have a few sound samples on my website of the amp I bought, with a few different guitars played through it, and a few different settings, along with mic and preamp notes, so you all can listen to the new amp, and hear for yourselves if you like it or not.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »

I understand your "grain of salt"  I would have to say LH is right on this one -  It is a sample of many records - live shows-  vintage examples  -versions of re-issues..  etc.
That create a Damn good understanding   ie:  After you are sure about the differences  -Have Done Several tests  Changing variables between new and old ones

You can identify it on recodings or live recordings etc.  It really is easily apparent  only this  -  It is a pain  to make multiple a/b comparisons   and most people do  not  do it

Another weird one for you...  The old ones are usually much Louder than the re-issues...

I guess the old/new thing comes in when you say a new "x" sounds good    everyones first thought is -  : Does it sounds as cool as a classic amp?

j

JGauthier

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Tue, 28 July 2009 12:51

I was in a GC, in OKC a few weeks ago and saw there, 2 very old looking Fender combos. I think they were both Super Reverbs. One was silver faced and the other black, and the one I could see into the back of had small blockish magnets on the back. They were asking 2K for it. The other was like 1.6K or 1.8K. I don't know if they worked or not. They were beaten up, and covered with dust and cob webs. There was an equally bad looking Princeton there beside them aswell. Can't recall it's price.

I thought at the time, they've got to be kidding? Am I wrong?

Sorry no pictures. My cell phone I just use for verbal communication. It has no camera. And being in a GC I wasn't expecting to see anything worth photographing.

I bought BOTH of my Princetons (1956 and 1959) from Guitar Center... The 59 was 1500 (at the peak of the market) and the 56 was 1000.The 56 is 100% original (down to the tubes minus the 12ax7) and perfect working condition and the 59 is a little beat up on the tweed but recapped and perfect working condition. I could have sold the 56 the day I bought it for 1500...

You would be AMAZED at what you can find at Guitar Center... Now though those two were priced right, they also have some STUPID high prices on other worse condition vintage pieces.

But everytime Im in GC, I look at the dusty crap against the walls...

I still haven't been back to try the new Blues Deluxe since the last time. It will be interesting to hear Nicks recordings either way.

And strangely enough Im finally finishing the Jazz record for a client that he cut on an older 90s Blues Deluxe. Which I have to reamp to make sound better... So I admit Im not expecting much and am biased.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.