R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brauner microphones  (Read 6959 times)

Glenn Bucci

Brauner microphones
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »

Brauner Microphones

Brauner is a small Germany company that manufactures high quality microphones. They have many microphones and it could be a little confusing on what the differences are between them. Thankfully Brauner has a CD that demonstrates their mic’s (with the exception of the Phanthera) on a flute, female, and male voice. Interesting enough they also included a Neumann U87ai on the tests as well so you could compare it against their mic’s. Based on these samples, I heard a similar character between the entire Brauner mic’s with each still having their own personalities. I put the CD tests of the U87ai, Phantom, and Valvet in my Samplitude DAW putting each sample on their own track. I then listened carefully to them through my monitors in my treated room. With my Mackie Controller Pro, I was able to hit the solo buttons and jump back and forth between them.

In listening to the U87ai, I heard the low mid character that many love on that mic, and I have to admit it sounded pleasing to my ears. The Phantom in comparison had a more detailed top end, and the low mid’s had a more even sound compared to the U87ai. I found myself more attracted to the cleaner, full, sound of the Phantom compared to the U87ai. This of course is a subjective matter, but the Phantom had a little bit more of a modern sound. It’s big, full, has a great low end, and very detailed high end without sounding harsh. It will give you a larger than life sound; while at the same time add some warmness to its transparent character.

With both the Valvet and Phantom in my studio, I found the Phantom has a stronger top end, while the Valvet adds gentleness to the high freq.’s which can be very nice. There is also a subtle tube character with the Valvet as well. I used the Phantom with a tube Manley pre to try to emulate the Valvet sound. Though the tube pre added smoothness, it was not like the Valvet character. With the Phantom and Manley pre, I heard more of the pre’s color, and not the gentle smoothness that the Valvet offers. If you have the Phantom, the Valvet is a nice complement to it. It is similar but different enough to many to own both.

The Phantom (Valvet, and Phanthera) shock mount has a pair of upper and lower C shaped arms with rubber rings to provide isolation. It appears to work very well. The capsule on the Phantom is the same as the one used in the Valvet. It can handle a SPL of 142 dB with just 0.5 distortion. The capsule looks and feels like a high quality capsule, and there are no Chinese parts on their mic’s.

Brauner microphones for the most part are expensive tube mics. They have two different types of microphones. The VM1, Valvet, and Phantom (solid state) which are more transparent, full and rich. The VM1 has a more open detailed sound compared to the Valvet which is still an incredible mic but at a lower cost. Then the VMA (which gives you the VMX and VM1 sound), VMX, Valvet X, and Phanthera (solid state) which has a little more of a vintage character to them. In a general sense, they have less top end and the low end has a little more character compared to their other series. In this set of microphones, the only one that is solid state is the Phanthera. For certain voices, you may find the Phantom having too much top end. The Phanthera would be an excellent choice for more control on the high frequencies in addition to adding a little more character. I would not say one is better than the other, but depending on the vocalist, they will sound very good on one and great on the other.

Brauner decided they wanted to have mic’s available for the project studio market. They wanted to keep the quality of their microphones the same, but found way to cut cost. Besides having lite versions of their higher priced mic's, the ones that are more affordable for the average working guy starts with the Phantom C. This is the same mic as the Phantom V but it only offers carioid mode and does not offer the – 10 db button. They have done the same thing with the Phanthera mic which also just offers carioid mode(compared to the Phanthera V).

Recently Brauner has also come out with the Valvet-X which is suppose to give more of a VMX character but at a lower price with the Carioid mode only as well. All Brauner mic’s come in a nice aluminum case filled with foam and include a high end VOVOX Swiss cable. They have also recently updated their web page to try to better explain the differences between their microphones. It’s easy to appreciate their microphones and frankly it was too hard for me not to keep the Phantom AE (Same as the Phantom C but in black)

wwittman

Re: Brauner microphones
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »

I love the VMa to death

one of my favourite vocal mics, and one of thsoe mics you CAN put on just about anything and have it be great.

of course you PAY for that...

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

George_

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »

addtional info:
mr haun (MBHO mics) is making the capsules for brauner.

cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Knastratt

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »

I find the same in the Valvet - haven't failed on one voice yet. And doubling as an ambient mic - nothing short of miracle!

I crave one more.

Thank you, Dirk.
Pär Hällquist - Trackstop Recording.
One stop track shop.

jimlongo

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:29:03 PM »

I obtained a Phanthera this summer and have been very happy with it.  I have mostly used it to record voice, vocals and acoustic guitar and it's performed wonderfully.  Very good value (I mean it's about as good as it gets for <$2k).

By the way, after a strange year of distributors playing musical chairs they are now handled by Network Pro Marketing in the US (Marty Druckman).

1-2 testing

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »

The Brauner Valvet tube is still pretty good, and you can get them for around $2500 now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 17 queries.