R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's right? client or mixer...  (Read 7922 times)

wwittman

Re: Who's right? client or mixer...
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 11:55:56 PM »

oh
so if a band can't, or doesn't want to, sound JUST like the record live, that's not 'allowed'?

that's the determining factour?

I thought it's just that producers were always "interfering" jerks.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

el duderino

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 12:51:10 PM »

Broke and Worn Out wrote on Fri, 17 April 2009 21:01

It depends. I think that the discussion that I got into before about staying out of the creative direction was more about new or unknown bands getting something down on record that represents what they'll be doing live, when they'll be touring a small, downsized record anyways. If they're on a third or fourth album or something, when they can maybe afford to take extra musicians on tour to pull off some of the more extensive overdubs, go for it.

fwiw, i did a record with a duo a couple years ago and we decided to make it the best it could be regardless of their live show. in fact it became quite clear they'd never be able to pull off most things on the album in their live show at all. they had guitar, drums and vocals. we added lots of extra vocals, all sorts of keys, lead guitar parts, various percussion, and Bass.

long story short, their fans enjoy something different. they hear the album first and get a completely different live show when they go see one. if they see the band live first they then get an album that delivers more articulated musical ideas that they completely did not expect.

when i see a band live and they sound exactly like the record i usually hate it and feel ripped off. the only exception i can think of right now is seeing tom petty. but imo, thats just what he and his band sound like.

wwittman

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »

Broke and Worn Out wrote on Wed, 04 March 2009 19:51

....producer wants it done one way because he believes that's what sounds best for the band; band doesn't want to do it because they don't think that it "represents them"...

that would be bad.
if it happened.
which i have never seen, in some 35+ years
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer

j.hall

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 02:43:12 PM »

i see that all the time.

note that these situation rarely become heated (in fact i've never seen it become heated)

it happens to me when i'm producing almost every time with one client in particular.

i think the song should do something different, they disagree and want to leave it unchanged, no big deal, it's their art, not mine.

wwittman

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31:34 PM »

I didn't say I've never seen a producer and band disagree and come to a decision after disagreeing.

I'm saying I've never seen it BECAUSE "it doesn't represent them"

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer

Nacho

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 11:29:49 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Mon, 10 November 2008 09:59

Man this topic can be very stressful. A while back I had a producer who thought he was god. His 3 groups also thought the same. He instructed me on every aspect of the mix. I remember one instance where at the end of a mix, I could sense this producer was getting restless and was pacing the floor in the CR. He looked over at my racks and pointed at a piece of (what he thought) gear. (it was a funklogic fake nothing, just a fake filler panel) He asked me what it was, and I told him it was nothing. He stated very firmly LETS TRY IT!! I again told him "it's nothing" Again he said TRY IT! Soo, I started turning the fake knobs. He told me as I turned the knobs "more, more, more, too much!! back it off a little. A little more. YES THATS IT!! All the musicians in the CR started cheering this stupid so called producer and I had to leave the CR to compose myself. I wanted to barf.
My daughter gave me this fake piece and it does look like a real piece of gear to the untrained eye.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt!.

Once doing live sound for a friend's band at a bar, the bass player was complaining he couldn't hear the voice.  Next, I look at the aux send carrying the voice to his mix and I see it is WAY up.  That's when the psychological art came in.  I grabbed the aux send from an unused channel and started playing with it till he said he could hear the voice perfectly.  Go figure!.

Nacho
"The act of accomplishing nothing other than wastefulness is both exhausting and debilitating to the soul." -Mixerman
www.ptystudios.com
www.myspace.com/nachomolino
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 18 queries.