R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Now I Feel Old  (Read 4983 times)

arconaut

Now I Feel Old
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:59:20 AM »

This morning at NYU a student showed up shortly after nine to check  in for his session, the first of the day. After a few minutes in the studio, he came to find me, a worried expression on his face. "Some hardware plug-ins are on", he moaned. I told him I'd be right there, and thought to myself, "hardware plug-ins?! Does he mean... no... He couldn't..."

Sure enough, he's pointing to an 1176 and asking if it's okay that it was left on all night.

It's not outboard gear now, it's a hardware plug-in. And now, as I said in the subject line, I feel old.

Noah
You Are Number Six

Jay Kadis

Re: Now I Feel Old
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:18:29 AM »

I wish my students would report when outboard gear is left on overnight.  (I don't care so much what they call it.)

Devin Knutson

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking, Jay.  The fact that the thought crossed his mind at all shows a certain focus compared to most of the young-uns I meet these days.

But, yeah...  "hardware plugin"...  <sigh>

Soon, we'll be seen the same way we saw old guys who went around willfully using terms like "automobile" or "aerodrome".
SpongeBob, reel it in, quick! Can't you hear the music?
That's a 4/4 string ostinato in D-minor!
Every sailor knows it means death!
    - Mr. Eugene H. Krabbs

Jay Kadis

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:07:45 PM »

I'll never forget my first pro studio experience:  all the engineers were wearing suits, ties and lab coats.  Times have indeed changed but not all for the worse.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Thu, 30 October 2008 16:07

I'll never forget my first pro studio experience:  all the engineers were wearing suits, ties and lab coats.  Times have indeed changed but not all for the worse.

You mean your mastering engineer doesn't look like this anymore? He must be a hack!

http://www.pembers.freeserve.co.uk/405-Lines/Black_Hill.jpg
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Jay Kadis

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:23:30 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Thu, 30 October 2008 09:19

You mean your mastering engineer doesn't look like this anymore? He must be a hack!

Well, I noticed he was wearing sandals... but he's definitely no hack!

T. Mueller

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »

That is SOOOO where I work.

And I'm a youngin', fellas, and I would definitely not refer to outboard gear as such.

Of course, I still know why we call them "cell phones", and why we "dial" them.  Anyone five years younger than me doesn't.

arconaut

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »

Got another one... The other day a student asked me a question about the Studer 827's "audio transport toolbar". What would that be? The autolocator, of course!
You Are Number Six

Daniel Farris

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »

arconaut wrote on Fri, 24 April 2009 07:29

Got another one... The other day a student asked me a question about the Studer 827's "audio transport toolbar". What would that be? The autolocator, of course!

Fill the tubs and pass the razors.

DF

mgod

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:46:44 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Thu, 30 October 2008 09:19

http://www.pembers.freeserve.co.uk/405-Lines/Black_Hill.jpg

That looks my dad in our basement.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

PRobb

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »

At a strictly PT place, a young intern asked me if I had ever actually cut tape with a razor blade. I was about to laugh and say "I was doing that before you were born" when I caught myself and did some quick figurin'.
SHIT. I was doing that before he was born!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Daniel Farris

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

PRobb wrote on Fri, 24 April 2009 10:06

At a strictly PT place, a young intern asked me if I had ever actually cut tape with a razor blade. I was about to laugh and say "I was doing that before you were born" when I caught myself and did some quick figurin'.

I first cut tape with a razor blade in 1992, so I won't have to worry about saying that until at least...

OH SHIT!

DF... tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock

Berolzheimer

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

Daniel Farris wrote on Fri, 24 April 2009 10:23

I first cut tape with a razor blade in 1992, so I won't have to worry about saying that until at least...

OH SHIT!

I first did that in 1980, so those who weren't born yet then are now old enough to drink, take my job, take my wife.....hell there are guys here at WB who weren't born yet then , who could fire me now!

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

wwittman

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »

this happened in the Clive Davis School of ProTools Operators?

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

arconaut

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:28:09 PM »

William,

I'd like to cordially invite you to pay us a visit and I'll show you around our facilities. I think you will find it interesting. I am completely earnest about this.

Regards,

Noah

You Are Number Six

arconaut

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »

I've been stewing on William's post for a few days, and I do feel some trepidation about responding, but I think it is necessary. I think his comment is a bit of a "cut and run", and is, I believe, uninformed and misleading. It is with caution and the intention of diplomacy that I respond here.

Also, I'll note that I prefer to come to this forum as myself, rather than a representative of my employer. I have no secrets to hide regarding my position or work, but I do not wish to become a spokesman for the school in my spare time. Since this forum's posts show up in Google searches, I generally don't want to discuss these things.

However, we are not a school of "Pro Tools Operators". We use Pro Tools as much as any other professional facility (since it is the de facto "industry standard"), and Logic is gaining quite a bit of popularity here. Our Studer 2" machines see quite a bit of use, especially by the more advanced students who are impressed with the sound and perhaps the mystique of tape. We have two large-format consoles (an SSL and an API), so a good amount of work is done "outside the box". Also, we are not an "engineering" school. Rather, the concept was to focus on music production itself as an art form and to also give students the business background to fend for themselves. We are not teaching them ProTools and tossing them out into the wild! We have graduates working in publishing, starting clubs, engineering in studios and broadcast facilities, doing A&R, writing music criticism as well as writing, arranging and performing music... all over the world.

Our faculty is an extremely dedicated and well-rounded group of talent, including Jim Anderson (an amazing engineer and AES President, etc, etc), Nick Sansano (Sonic Youth, Public Enemy, Soul Coughing...), Bob Power, Kevin Killen, Tony Maserati, Robert Christgau, Vivien Goldman (a great writer and fascinating person), Nelson George, "Prince" Charles Alexander, Errol Kolosine, Allan Kozinn, Alan Silverman and so many more incredible people. I feel very lucky to be here, to get to work with the equipment I maintain, to interact with our super-talented students and to be in the midst of a constant stream of music and creativity. ProTools is a very small fraction of what we do here, and I want to make that very clear.

You Are Number Six

Nacho

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 02:05:22 AM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Fri, 24 April 2009 14:46

Daniel Farris wrote on Fri, 24 April 2009 10:23

OH SHIT!

I first did that in 1980, so those who weren't born yet then are now old enough to drink, take my job, take my wife.....hell there are guys here at WB who weren't born yet then , who could fire me now!

I was born in 81!! Very Happy
"The act of accomplishing nothing other than wastefulness is both exhausting and debilitating to the soul." -Mixerman
www.ptystudios.com
www.myspace.com/nachomolino

Edvaard

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 02:32:19 AM »

Please don't fire him too soon.

He has been kind and helpful to all of us here.

Nacho

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »

Edvaard wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 01:32

Sorry, thought it would be funny... Embarassed
"The act of accomplishing nothing other than wastefulness is both exhausting and debilitating to the soul." -Mixerman
www.ptystudios.com
www.myspace.com/nachomolino

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »

I was asked if I could use the "Auto-tune"  on the studer..

see:Vari-speed

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »

My favorite though was when working with the Cash Money Millionaires (whom were really fun to work with)

I was asked to  "Make it sound like a record dog"  After some confusion Double tracking was the thing.

This From some "Indie kids"---- No the 2" machine does not have a "fire wire drive"

Berolzheimer

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »

Edvaard wrote on Sat, 09 May 2009 23:32

And that's exactly the sort of behavior that's been eating into our profits around here!!!

Twisted Evil

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 06:57:44 AM »

!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.