R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: math for audio  (Read 8124 times)

Bill_Urick

Re: math for audio
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 09:13:55 PM »

So, what do you get when you cross a mountain climber with a mosquito?

Math humor, you gotta love it.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Andy Peters

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 01:05:58 AM »

Fig wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 13:58

Apologies for the ramble - I'm almost finished reading Fermat's Enigma and looking forward to the proof.

"You want the proof? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PROOF!"

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

bruno putzeys

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 04:06:38 AM »

On a more serious note, complex numbers are nothing but a shorthand for pairs of numbers for which special arithmetic rules are defined. Everything you do with complex numbers you can do (somewhat clumsily) using 2x2 matrices.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number#Matrix_represent ation_of_complex_numbers
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

johnR

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 09:13:06 AM »

Fig wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 20:58

Its my understanding that they are numbers that solve problems that do not actually exist (?)

As Bruno points out, they are a mathematical convenience for solving very real problems. They provide a simple way of calculating voltage, current and phase in ac circuits.
Quote:

Armed with that powerful logic, what then is the square root of negative 4?

2j  

j is the square root of -1, which of course is imaginary. That doesn't stop it being very useful, as any text book on ac circuit theory will explain.

Gold

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 09:25:54 AM »

I've been told that this book is good by a studio rat who never thought he would want or need to know this stuff. It's on my to do list. http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Electronics-Nancy-Myers/dp /0314012664
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Fig

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »

johnR wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 08:13

j is the square root of -1, which of course is imaginary. That doesn't stop it being very useful, as any text book on ac circuit theory will explain.

I wasn't looking for the actual answer, John --  I was asking the question to make my point more apparent to folks who might not have thought about it as keenly as you no doubt do.

I am hip to imaginary numbers' usefuleness - its their history that I was bringing to light, you see.

Its because of that darned book - I thought I had it last night, Andy, only to be dashed against the rocks yet again.  [/sigh]

The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »

Slightly off-topic, I watched a fascinating show on PBS last night about fractal geometry and got a good lesson in set theory, which had always escaped me in college. I knew that Benoit Mandelbrot was a professor at Yale when I was there in the '70s but had no inkling of how influential his work would be - no fractal geometry, no CGI, no multi-band cell phones, etc.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Jay Kadis

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »

For digital audio, math is the new electronics.  Just when I was finally getting electronics figured out...

Andy Peters

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 08:28

For digital audio, math is the new electronics.  Just when I was finally getting electronics figured out...

Math is very much a part of analog electronics too.

And it's mostly the same math.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Jay Kadis

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Thu, 30 October 2008 11:37

Jay Kadis wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 08:28

Math is very much a part of analog electronics too.

And it's mostly the same math.

-a

You can get pretty far into analog electronics with just algebra.  DSP is much more trigonometry, which I never liked.  Calculus I could handle and that does apply to both electronics and digital audio.  But I think a lot of electronics tinkerers do so without any math at all.

bruno putzeys

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »

DSP isn't more mathy than analogue per se, only the problems DSP is called upon to solve is. If you take the same problem into the analogue domain you get the exact same amount of maths. Take EQ. You can't design an analogue EQ without doing the maths unless you're happy to copy a design from someone who has done them for you.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

bjornson

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.