R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP20 Discussion  (Read 15667 times)

Podgorny

Re: IMP20 Discussion
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2008, 08:16:50 PM »

No, I get it.
It's cool.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

T. Mueller

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »

I very seriously considered doing some beats like that, and modifying the vocal to sound kinda all BT all over your FACE.

Then I realized that Grant would call me a dork.

gringo

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2008, 10:19:39 AM »

I'm listening on a horrible boom box type thing...called the Audiophase. Doesn't instill confidence.

MKane-
Piano is loud and proud. Everything seems to be in a nice place here. Nice mix.

YZ- Only thing I heard that seemed slightly wierd was at the end. Something under the vox.
Wan't loud enough to hear it clearly, but loud enough to be kind of distracting.

NelsonL- Vocal seems alittle hot. Everything else seems too far away in contrast. The 2nd verse is better.

sstillwell-The rhodes has been mangled, I like the sound of it but the timing is a tad distracting in places.
Decent mix otherwise.

ICombs-The piano and the rhodes seem to be fighting each other in places. But it wasn't a deal breaker.

AdamMiller-Good sounding mix, maybe a little dry overall. Seems to lack a sense of excitement or feeling or something.

More to come...

randy

NelsonL

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »

T. Mueller wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 10:50

Raise your hand if you used samples.  

(*My hand is staying down.*)

I had to go back and look-- I used a kick sample, and drove the main plate, as well as a pre-delayed non linear verb with a snare sample.

YZ

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2008, 11:13:07 AM »

Listening in the same environment I did my mix, in no particular order:

Billybehdaz:

Piano a bit skinny for my taste; nice thing with the reverse/de-reverse pianos; I like the different drum sounds at the intro too. Dryness works well in contrast with the more effected parts; like the ac gtr treatment too. Still think that the piano could have more meat to it.

iCombs:

Nice interplay and treatment of the Rhodes and swell gtrs, interesting effect on the vocal that does not work so well in some sections; like the piano sound, interesting drums.

EHouston:

vocal effect overdone IMHO; piano not so skinny but still could be more meaty; drum sound works well within the mix, not aggressive; could have used the Rhodes here and there to add variety.

NelsonL:

eheh...  out-of-this-world intro...  cool.  very interesting treatment of Rhodes and swell gtrs, seems that you assimilated the original intention and took it one step further; bass gtr a bit too 'subwoofy', or is it its interplay with the BD? could have stepped back a bit the vocal effect on the first phrase. cool.

RwApe:

what can I say? I like it, except the snare that sounds too boxy and a tad loud; I like the different vocal treatments. good bass gtr.

Sstillwell:

Good intro; like the drum sound; fat round bass, dominating but feels good to me; the piano treatment clashes, is distracting; OTOH I like the rhodes and swell gtrs; vocal effect not bad but could have started a bit lower, then reaching the final level after the first phrase. except for the piano as noted, I like it.

0dbfs:

Creative intro, I like the 'dreamy' piano and runaround drums; good edit, works; like the drums, they fulfill their function without calling too much attention; I like fat basses but think that maybe here it is a tad too much, a matter of taste (and monitoring); miss the piano; the swell gtr treatment is good but IMHO could have more of the original sound in some spots; vocal effect in tune with the dreamy intro; I like the overall result but not as much as I liked some of the other mixes.

DCombs:

Drums OK to me, the snare starts well but gets a bit squashed by the second chorus; bass good; vocal a tad low and a miss a 'something' in there that I can't put to words; piano is full without being obese; the stereoized ac gtr works; the overall feeling is of sparseness, like something is still missing or not quite there.

Adam Miller:

Shortened intro works; Piano a little boxy, as the vocal; drums fit the vibe; bass fat (good) but needs a bit more definition; rhodes auto-pan works; needs some spice overall.

Electric Warrior:

drums dry and OK, bass a bit lean for my taste, as is the piano; the overall result has an intimacy that works; careful with the lopsidedness and dynamics of the OHs, it detracts from the result specially at the second chorus.

JCMastering:

Vocal definitely has something missing, it is not present enough; I like the piano sound; another mix that lacks overall 'spice' even while having some interesting things happening like the gtr treatment on the second chorus; the waveform was a bit asymmetrical, not that it matters in terms of sound.

MGAudio:

I like the piano, no surprise since it sounds similar to mine...  drums a bit too trashy and squashed for my taste; vocal OK; I like your bass better than mine; played a bit safe with the Rhodes and swell gtrs; the ac gtr fx don't match the rest of the song.

MGT:

I like the boldness of the swell gtrs, the Rhodes is shy in comparison; drums boxy, bass 'unclear'; vox OK; overall it does not come together as well as many of the other mixes.

HissSound:

Abrupt edit at the start... vocals sound strange, filtered; drums a bit muffled; with clearer drums and a different vocal treatment this mix could improve a lot, I liked all of the other aspects.

Slash:

I like the vocal, piano, drums, basically everything but the bass, does not match the drums, lacks clarity; the piano panning at the middle is a bit odd.

TheDan:

Drums could be more open, need some air; I like the gradual change of the Rhodes, but personally would have preferred the swell gtr less effected in this mix; otherwise a good straightforward mix.

T Mueller:

Good start. OMG what's with the squash-o-rama?  if you want to go with such drums, the bass has to follow, and it is not. Vocal is uni-dimensional. Rhodes and swell gtrs OK but too much swell at the end, piano good too.

Mkane:

Drums work well with the bass, but IMHO don't match the rest of the mix; Rhodes and swell gtrs OK, ac gtr too. The drums, piano and vocal fx don't add up to a cohesive mix, however.

J-Texas:

Vocal is timid.  flappy drums. maybe I did not get your spirit here, but it did not strike me as interesting.

JonahAKort:

Intro edit good (I have to like it, I did the same); overall sound scooped; piano fx a bit distracting;  middle edit abrupt; don't like the saturation/OD sound of part II and the outro delays/fx are distracting.

singsing:

Shortened intro too, a recurring option for this IMP; I like the bass gtr, but it is a tad strong; vocal is OK too; drums not bad but miss some sparkle; drums at outro interesting; I dislike the saturation fx from the middle break onwards, I don't think they match the spirit.

Tricklecharge:

I corrected the sample rate of the submitted file so I got it to play at the right pitch, but since it was mixed at the wrong rate the sound would not be what you intended, so no review.

ColinL:

Very nice treatment of the swell gtr/Rhodes; kinda squashed overall, spitty drums, vocal kinda strained; bass present but squalid.

grantrichard:

Drums too processed; a little less fx on the vocal would be good; bass gets lost between the drum sound and the song vibe; interesting Rhodes and swell gtrs.

Osumosan:

BIG piano, I like it; then the rest come in and is so muffled... then spitty OHs come in... outro sounds ok but the vocals are still scooped.

Firefly:

Too much vocal. Rhodes fx good; the balances were too far off (for me) to give a proper evaluation. Or my ears were too shot to allow me to do it.

YZ:

Drums could be a bit more open; vocal good but still does not have the sparkle I've seen in a few other mixes; HH could have been tamed a bit; middle break creates contrast and showcases the unusual Rhodes; low end round, maybe a little too much? vocal fx at the outro may or may not work for the client; intro,
middle and outro edits good, shorten the parts while still keeping flavor.

PS:
I'd like to thank everyone for participating and offering their mixes for review, and those who took the time to listen and posted their reviews.

Grant, thank you for the tracks.
regards,

YZ

j.hall

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »

Adam Miller wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 12:15

Colin Larson wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 12:45

Especially on a freebie mix like this where anything goes...

Just as an aside- there's no reason to ever invest anything less than 100% in a mix you do, whether it's for free or not- and especially if it's being aired in public. The freebies you do are the ones that'll end up getting you work at some point in the future...

preach it my british brutha!!!!

i haven't read all the comments, nor have i listened to all the mixes, i'll just chime in with a comment on samples.

skill set and experience are invaluable.  you can never remove either of those from any comments, ideas, or judgments on your work or some one else's.  that being said, and meant to encourage people to keep learning and trying new techniques to the tracks you are given.  the bottom line here is that using samples is a means to an end.  it's a tool in the tool box you can choose to use or not.  it certainly can be abused, like any other tool, and it certainly can be used to your overall advantage.  knowing how, when, and where to use samples is what separates mixers from each other.  no one is to say whose right or wrong with their implimentaion.  there is a certain thing that using samples affords you in a mix.  it's something that's hard to shy away from as it can (it typically does) make your life VASTLY easier.  

i think at the end of the day, you just need to evaluate your own personal opinion on all this.  if you don't dig samples, then don't use them.  just know and understand the full extent of that decision.  and vice versa!!!

also, don't ever overlook using the exact same drum that was recorded to replace it with.  if i'm signed on to mix a project before it goes into tracking i beg the tracking engineer to give me discrete samples of each drum, soft hit and a hard hit.  no cymbals, just drums.

samples on drums started being used for a variety of reasons, one of the biggest was, to eliminate the bleed from other drums.  so as you EQ and compress you are just treating the one sound and not effecting any of the others.

Mkane

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »

T. Mueller wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 13:50

Raise your hand if you used samples.  

(*My hand is staying down.*)

I did have a snare sample under original.(60%-40%).

Mkane

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »

Final installment.

JCMastering - Vocals are a touch too low. Kick jumps out a bit.
The highs seemed a bit veiled but overall good balance.

iCombs - Snare is overly wet and the drums in general seem distorted.
I really like the piano dropping out @ 1:07. Good idea.

NelsonL - Bass guitar was too jangle-y for me.
Compression on the drums distracting.
I liked your treatments on the background instrumentation.

MGA - The drums are too slappy and the hats a bit hot.
Snare compression is overdone, but decent balance throughout.

RawApeMix (who?) - Interesting ideas.
Sounded more like a re-mix to me.

HissSound - Vocals sounded kind of veiled.
Something felt like it was disconnecting the instruments from each other.
Hard to put my finger on, perhaps the kick/snare in relation to the rest.

TheDan - The vocals could use a little more sparkle.
Guitars are hot @ 2:24.
Pretty good balance. I liked it.

Firefly - What? What are those? Dynamics?
This is a mix I was able to turn up.
I felt the piano could have been brought up more to meet the drums and vocals.
With the exception of the above, great balance.

YZ - The guitars @ 2:03 got a bit hot and the vocals at the end are somewhat distracting.
That being said, this mix felt very balanced, if not a touch over compressed or limited.

Peace.
Philip

T. Mueller

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2008, 06:17:54 PM »

Quote:

i think at the end of the day, you just need to evaluate your own personal opinion on all this.  if you don't dig samples, then don't use them.  just know and understand the full extent of that decision.  and vice versa!!!

samples on drums started being used for a variety of reasons, one of the biggest was, to eliminate the bleed from other drums.  so as you EQ and compress you are just treating the one sound and not effecting any of the others.

Yeah, I totally agree.  I was just honestly curious who used them and who didn't.  Most of you guys have a better ear than I do, and can tell who did and who didn't better than I can, so I needed an actual headcount. : )

j.hall

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »

i don't have time for individual reviews.....sorry guys.

however, i've listened to them all (well, clips of them all) and these are my favs.(not in order)

0dbfs
DCombs
Grant Richard

my favorite by far is:
MKane
nice work!

i did a *quick* rough to illustrate what my comments would be based off of.  i put it on the imp server for those who might want to listen.  it is *not* a submission!!!!!  it ended up a little too wet, and by no means is it a finished mix, i did that in 45 minutes.

overall i think the rhythm section treatments are weak.

this song is all about the rhythm section.  which makes it harder to mix because you have nothing to hide behind.  if your rhythm section blend is not awesome, the song will fall flat.  awesome can be MANY different things.  so if you decide to listen to my rough, that's probably the best thing to pay attention to.

Mkane

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 05:20:39 PM »

[quote title=j.hall wrote on Fri, 31 October 2008 11:16]

Wow!Thanks a lot!I would also like thank everyone who listened and shared their thoughts about my mix.I have never ever get this much feedback for my mixes.I hope I find some time to listen and maybe write something about submissions.
Mine was done with macbook and logic 8.Stock plugins and waves musicians bundle2.Apogee duet to Mackie 1202-VLZpro to Genelec 1030.

Mkane

YZ

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »

Hmmm... over 25 submissions and only about half-a-dozen reviews so far.

Come on, guys, let us know what you thought about the mixes!! Don't be shy!

This is what IMP is about, to hear each other's perspectives.

regards,

YZ

grantis

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2008, 11:58:02 PM »

I intend to post my comments soon, I have not had time to listen to the mixes yet.  Very sorry, I am looking forward to posting!
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

T. Mueller

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »

Quote:

T Mueller:
if you want to go with such drums, the bass has to follow, and it is not.

So, here's a question, I guess.  By "the bass has to follow", do you mean that it needs to be as compressed?  I couldn't find a good way to beef up the bass after minimal attempts.  Can anyone provide a suggestion or two?

And I'll try to post more reviews.  I had done all of them up to a certain point, and haven't gone back yet.  I clearly have a lot to learn...

YZ

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 12:35:55 PM »

T. Mueller wrote on Mon, 03 November 2008 12:42

Quote:

T Mueller:
if you want to go with such drums, the bass has to follow, and it is not.

So, here's a question, I guess.  By "the bass has to follow", do you mean that it needs to be as compressed?  I couldn't find a good way to beef up the bass after minimal attempts.  Can anyone provide a suggestion or two?

And I'll try to post more reviews.  I had done all of them up to a certain point, and haven't gone back yet.  I clearly have a lot to learn...

Not a question of compression specifically; the bass sounded (to me) less aggressive than the drums; it was leaning towards that, sure.

A suggestion? if I may...  an amp simulator maybe. I gather you were happy with the drum sounds, or it could have been an option to tame the drums a bit to match the bass.

Hey, this is just me, others have already voiced different opinions about your mix.
regards,

YZ
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.