R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP20 Discussion  (Read 15665 times)

slash5969

Re: IMP20 Discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 07:39:18 PM »

Jonah A. Kort wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 17:36

I think Slash doesn't like the Rhodes part Very Happy

Ha!

Well, not as a featured part anyway.  Surprised

NelsonL

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 01:02:23 AM »

TheDan wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 15:22

I don't have time to review separately, but I just wanted to add a few blanket comments.

Mostly, these tracks were pretty much great from the start, so why is there so much "BIGASS DRUMS"? (watch the movie Idiocracy) Really not necessary for the song. The vocal was obviously compressed on the way in or at some point before we got the tracks, so why compress it again? If you need more volume in spots, ride the fader or automate. (that was me being a hypocrite, because I a agree mine was too quiet, and dry Embarassed )

There was a lot of atmosphere to be had with the guitar swells and rhodes things, so all the crazy reverbs and delay things on top of that were kind of unnecessary . I thought all the goodies on some mixes distracted from the simple solidness of the song as a whole.

This is all my opinion of course, and I hope not to offend anyone. This whole thing is just fun, and I want to be involved in the future if I have time.

Quote:

TheDan: Do something to get the vocal a little more out front and this mix would be pretty near perfect

Wow, thanks man!

-Dan

I'd agree that the use of samples is kind of divorced from the vibe of the song in many of the mixes, but I also think the rhythm section is the only emotionally dynamic component, really only because of the killer groove, I actually wanted to hear some crazy fills to add excitement, but that's just me-- vox is pretty deadpan, piano is kind of monotonous, rhodes and guitars are mostly just embellishment.  So the impulse to enhance the impact of the drums is, in my opinion, a good thing.

While the drums sound good, they don't sound like a record when you push up the faders.

Colin Larson

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »

yeah, that kick wasn't so bad, but the snare definitely needed some TLC...  although I agree with TheDan's side of it too, some of the tracks just had these drums that were so big they had nothing to do with the genre.  

It's the samples that really get me confused... later in life, I want to be the guy that makes the killer drum sounds that people sample, ya know?  You're not gonna get any better at spicing up drums by reading the manual for Sound Replacer!  Especially on a freebie mix like this where anything goes, do something goofy like making the orignal snare sound like a jack-in-the-box opening up.. hahaha

It might not sound right for the song at all, but at least later on if someone asks you to make their snare sound like a jack-in-the-box, you don't have to go "Gee, I don't have that sample in my library.."

Adam Miller

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »

Colin Larson wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 12:45

Especially on a freebie mix like this where anything goes...

Just as an aside- there's no reason to ever invest anything less than 100% in a mix you do, whether it's for free or not- and especially if it's being aired in public. The freebies you do are the ones that'll end up getting you work at some point in the future...

T. Mueller

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »

Raise your hand if you used samples.  

(*My hand is staying down.*)

Adam Miller

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 02:18:16 PM »

Here are my reviews, in the order they pop up in my itunes. These are just my initial impressions- of each one as I flick through. Apologies if I miss anyone.

NelsonL - The drums are a bit bombastic, and the bass is a bit clacky- but not a bad balance at all, nice overall vibe.

BillyBehdaz- Tonality, especially of the vocal, is a little bit strained and unnatural. Good balance though. Drums also a bit bombastic, but kind of works. Like what you did with the acoustic guitar at the end, tamed that ridiculous fingernail picking well. Well spotted with the vocal tuning, but you missed 'But' at 0:40 ish! overall good vibe though.

Firefly- Drums sound pedestrian and boring. Vocal is ok, but it does sit a bit proud of the mix at the start, in tonality as well as level. Autopanning acoustic might work at the end if the picking sound wasn't so pronounced!

Fiasco- appropriate name! Kind of dig the vibe of it this slow though!

TheDan- Bass end is too heavy. Vocal is buried way down too.

iCombs- Kick is thin, and the snare has aspirations far beyond the scope of this tune! The level of the piano and rhodes is quite distracting versus the relatively low vocals.

eh91311- Drums need work. The slap is too loud, and kind of obscures anything else I could say I'm afraid.

Electric Warrior- The drum compression and the perspective it gives the kit doesn't really sit well with this tune. The vocal is also a bit low.

JasonThompson- Think you've got some monitoring issues here, the bass is loud and the vox are quiet. Compared to the tonality of the rest of the track, the ohs are too bright. Mistrigger on the kick too...

JCMastering- Another very quiet vocal. Sounds need working much more, especially the kit, seems quite lumpy at the moment.

JonahAKort- Piano and rhodes far too OTT. Distortion on the bass doesn't fit this tune at all, nor does the empty cathedral reverb. Or the Mad Scientist delay on the guitar.

MGAudio- Snare sits too far back in the mix versus the kick and bass. Really loses power in the second chorus bit with the 8th note electric guitars. Another Mad Scientist delay on the acoustic.

MGT- Another congested low end. Shame, because I think otherwise the balance would be alright.

RwApemix- Vocal is very thin, drums bright. Monitoring issues going on here I think. Some of the little ambient things going on are quite nice, but definitely at the expense of the heart of the mix.

Tricklecharge- Might work quite well in place of sleeping pills at this speed!

GrantRichard- Bit too much kick drum maybe? Don't get the vocal treatment at all, strips it of the intimacy I think it needs. the balance of piano/rhodes/guitars to vocal sounds very expansive- not sure if that vibe fits the mood or not really. Interesting rhythmic shift at the end- I'm so used to hearing the other way round I can't tell if it works or not!

HissSound- Lay off the deessers, please!

Osumosan- Compression treatment on the drums doesn't work at all. Another one with vocal-sung-through-duvet tonality. Do you have a blown tweeter? The tonality shift to that ride cymbal is crazy!

YZ- A ok balance! Hurrah! The vocal still sits beneath where it should be under the hats/ride cymbal though. The ring mod type thing going on with the vocal at the end is a bit odd.

ColinL- Nice ambient stuff in the intro. Mids sound scooped out, and the cymbal highs are a bit sparkly though. Within themselves the drum sounds are good though, and the balance is generally there.

sstillwell- All the twinkly bubbly chorussy stuff is bad, and appears to have been done to the detriment of the rest of the mix.

Mkane- Wierd vocal stuff going on on the esses. Not so keen on the tones you've got, but the balance is there.

SingSing- The kick and the bass are too heavy but the vocal sits where it should, the balance is good, and there's no stupid effects shit going on. Wow- the vocoder stuff at the end kind of works too- Good vibe, I like!

JOBU- Some digital glitching going on at 1:03. Reverb and chorus on the vocal distract from everything else, which is a shame because beneath it all I think there are some decent drum tones lurking.  

As an overall trend, I really got the impression that people spent more time messing around with tweaky delay VSTs and drum compression than actually mixing the tracks. There's also a lack of attention to detail in many of these mixes- not entirely sure how so many could miss the vocal tuning spots and little things like that that immediately detract from the professionalism of a mix.

Thanks to grant for providing the tracks- I had a lot of fun mixing it, and in hindsight I can see a bunch of things that I'd do differently in my mix.

Adam

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »

Adam Miller wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 14:18

Fiasco- appropriate name! Kind of dig the vibe of it this slow though!

Thanks for the listen.
If you'd like to hear the proper upload, it is here:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/IMP_20_Fiasco_notslow.m p3
Philip

Jonah A. Kort

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »

T. Mueller wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 12:50

Raise your hand if you used samples.  

(*My hand is staying down.*)

Not me.

iCombs

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 05:38:29 PM »

*halfway raises hand*

I used room samples on the kick and snare instead of sending them to a verb...does that count?
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

Podgorny

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »

I know it's WAY late and therefore not included in the discussion.
But I've been busy.  And since Grant recorded this, I felt some ridiculous obligation to give it 30 minutes of my time...  So that's what I did.

Enjoy, Grant!

http://kylemann.com/misc/imp20_podgorny_mix.mp3

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

grantis

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »

You dork.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »

Installment 2.

MGT - The low end is distorted and everything seems that it was pushed a little hot.
Beyond that there was good balance between instruments.

DCombs - Very sizzley high end.
Low end seemed anemic, maybe due to the highs.
The bass tone was pretty cool, I would double and blend the original track underneath to add meat.

sstillwell - Vocals a little wet for my taste. Bass seemed to need depth.
I liked the cool bleeps and whistles.
The whole mix could have used more dynamic variations.

Billybehdazz - Good ideas for the intro. Drums sound slappy and over compressed.
There was an odd piano edit at 1:36. Cool guitars on outro.

MKane - Drums sound closed in, and the snare verb sounds like it's coming from somewhere else.
Different snare tone peaking through @ 1:36.
Overall too wet, if the mix was less wet it would have been pretty good.

Electric Warrior - Wow, a quiet mix. Come on man, squeeze it until it hurts and sucks. Razz
This mix could have used a tad more bass and the open hats were distracting.
Besides that good balance. Thanks for not crushing it.

JCMastering - This is completely overly crushed and distorted.
Kinda hurts to listen to. Sorry.

Adam Miller - I liked it except the drums sound too pinched.
Decent balance, guitars hot @ 2:13.

StarScream2010 (?) - Generally pretty hazy and the drums sound inorganic.
There are some good ideas in there.

One more installment to go.

Peace.
Philip

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 07:28:12 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 18:31

I know it's WAY late and therefore not included in the discussion.
But I've been busy.  And since Grant recorded this, I felt some ridiculous obligation to give it 30 minutes of my time...  So that's what I did.

Enjoy, Grant!

http://kylemann.com/misc/imp20_podgorny_mix.mp3

That was awesome. Thanks.
Philip

Podgorny

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »

grant richard wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 18:17

You dork.

Exactly the kind of response I was hoping for.
You're welcome.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

grantis

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I think its funny.  I'm hip too ya know.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.