R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP20 Discussion  (Read 15677 times)

Colin Larson

Re: IMP20 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 01:38:47 PM »

onto page 2:

martthie 08:  Sounds pretty good, bass could be re EQ'd a little maybe, and personally I'd do something snappier with the snare.

HissSound:  Vocal sounds kind of boxed in at the top end, and the whole mix could use some reEQing to take advantage of the whole freq spectrum I think.

TheDan: Do something to get the vocal a little more out front and this mix would be pretty near perfect.

Firefly:  I can hear all the instruments, but it just doesn't sound exciting.  The kick has kind of a basketball bounce thing going on.  The acoustic gtr panning is nice!  

J-Texas: Did you pan the snare left?  Maybe that's what nelson was talking about with the OHs... anyways..  kind of like firefly's mix, the drums seem sort of disconnected, like samples that weren't EQ'd to match the rest of the track.  Aha! Just heard a sound replacer flam on the kick.  I caught you Very Happy  Other than fixing the drums, bring the vox out front a little more.

grant richard:  I think those drums would sound great in a Pantera song, but maybe not so much here.  The vocal fx makes it sound kind of distant, but it does sound neat.  Can't tell if I like it or not.  I like the vox editing you did at the end.

Fiasco:  Even with the different sample rate, this mix already sounds pretty cool, with all the acous gtr tricks and all that.  Can't wait to hear the correct version Very Happy

Osumosan:  Bass and kick sound smashed together.  What's with the sudden OH on the chorus?  You should do something to match the high ends of the verse tracks to the high end of your OHs on the chorus.  

singsing:  I like this mix a lot, it's unique among the rest of them.  Only thing I would change is the vox delay coming off the chorus and smooth out that trancey vox effect at the end so it isn't so dramatic.  Really good though.

Jonah A Kort:  Bass is a little wonky for me.. delay on the piano is a bit weird much, as is the acous gtr delay.

Tricklecharge:  Did you and Fiasco work together on this one? ;D

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »

Colin Larson wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 13:38

Laughing
Philip

J-Texas

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »

Colin Larson wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 12:38

Aha! Just heard a sound replacer flam on the kick.  I caught you Very Happy

Laughing

Red handed!!

I heard it too... later. Didn't have time to work on this as much as I would have liked to.

Thank you for the critical listen (and others who did, I'll get to all my thank you's and crits very soon).
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

J-Texas

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 02:10:56 PM »

kind of like firefly's mix,

Unexciting?  Rolling Eyes  

Hey, you said it... I didn't.  Very Happy
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Electric Warrior

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »

T. Mueller wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 18:29

Adam Miller wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 10:44

I haven't got time to do proper reviews of all the tracks just yet, but I will...

But with regards to the original tracks-
WHAT was going on with the autotune on this? It's quite brutal. It's one thing to track parts that may have problems, another to introduce the problems as part of the postproduction process. What's even more puzzling is that most people seem to have completely missed the words that were tuned a semitone out!
Adam

Yeah.  I don't have Melodyne installed, so I wasn't gonna take the time to fix it.

No need for Melodyne. A simple pitch shift plugin does the trick.

Tricklecharge

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 02:34:27 PM »

Fiasco wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 12:50

Colin Larson wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 13:38

Laughing

Fiasco copied my great idea of slowing it down Razz
"-Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work-"
 ..Gustave Flaubert..

T. Mueller

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »

Quote:

No need for Melodyne. A simple pitch shift plugin does the trick.

True.  My point: I intentionally didn't mess with it.  But again, to whoever mentioned it, I'm glad you pointed it out.  We're all here to learn.  Thanks.

Colin Larson

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 13:10

kind of like firefly's mix,

Unexciting?  Rolling Eyes  

Hey, you said it... I didn't.  Very Happy

here's what I said:

Colin Larson

...kind of like firefly's mix, the drums seem sort of disconnected...

I meant that you both had sample-y-sounding drums.  I didn't think your mix sounded paticularly unexciting in any way.  Although after you listen to 20 mixes of the same song back to back it gets hard to tell anything!

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »

Installment 1.

As always, grain of salt, yada, yada, yada.

Colin Larson - Cool pad like effect, from the Rhodes? Piano is a touch too loud, but I think you knew that.
It sounded like the first bass note got clipped.
Pretty good balance overall.

J-Texas - Not sure that the drums suited the tune, the kick was slappy and the snare seemed heavy on the left channel.
Pretty quiet vocals. A little unbalanced.

EHouston - Piano sitting loud to me, vocals a little wet. Bass could be brought up.
Mix could use more balance between instruments.

grant richard - The replaced drums seem unattached to the tune.
I liked the treatments during the breakdown. Good ideas at the end.
Good balance.

osumosan - Felt a touch bass heavy, vocals are slightly muffled.
The drums seemed over compressed.

slash5969 - The drums seem like they are coming from a distance.
I like the way the piano sits in the mix. Guitars @ 2:30 a bit loud.
Nice ending arrangement.

SingSing - Good drums. Distorted guitars @ 1:45 seem a bit muddy but it's a cool idea.
The second git section a little loud. Weird click @ 2:39. Cool ending.
Good balance.

Jonah A. Kort - Mmmm, not sure about the growly bass.
The transition at 1:46 comes across as harsh. Everything overly wet.
Needs better balance.

Tricklecharge - Stupid sample rate.
I like the spooky noises... cool. Those open hats are really distracting.
Vocals a little wet.

I think I am starting to like the slow "version" better.

More to come.

Peace
Philip

Colin Larson

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »

I noticed there were a few that didn't make it to the submission page...  who did this one? http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/Imp20_RwApeMix.mp3

It's really cool, my favorite of them all Very Happy

slash5969

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 05:58:37 PM »

Blind listens by number - names mated up with reviews after the fact. My impressions only, and I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

0dbfs - Very ethereal vibe overall. Drum remnants in the intro are a distraction. Vocal treatment seems a little heavy-handed. It’s not necessary to beat people over the head with effects – a little goes a long way, even more so when subjected to the critical listening that an IMP submission receives. I like the stark ending.

Mkane – Solid. Nice snap in the snare. Drums are balanced and crisp. Tame that Rhodes a bit and this is a really coherent mix. Vocal effects are unobtrusive, which makes them an addition as opposed to a subtraction. Vocal level perhaps a bit hot overall, but that’s picking fly shit out of the pepper. Nicely done.

YZ – Solid bottom end. Drums are snappy and present. Rhodes is overdone to the point of distraction. Vocal effects are a tad overdone – when you entice the listener to concentrate on the effect, you are diverting attention from the song itself. (I learned this lesson the hard way in a previous IMP.) Too much guitar chinga chinga.

NelsonL – Straight-forward feel to this mix. Drums are crisp and perhaps a bit understated, or is it that the vocal is too up front? It’s a bit off-kilter, regardless. Rhodes track is featured here, and I heard it much more as flavoring. I like the uncluttered ending.

sstillwell – Too much Rhodes. Bass is solid and clear. Crisp drums, although I’d like more whomp in the kick and perhaps a little less overhead. Out-front vocal, well-treated.  Reverb choice suits the vibe. Lose some Rhodes and add a little beef to that kick.

ICombs – Balanced and crisp. Drums snap, crackle, and pop. Can I have a bit more kick? Too much Rhodes for my taste, but that seems to be a common thread to most of these mixes and it’s not as overdone here as some of the others.  Vocal sits nicely in the mix. I’m not a fan of ending with the Rhodes.

EHouston – Where’s the beef? Anemic bass. No punch in the kick. Nice pop in the snare. Vocal a tad out-front, and vocal treatment a little heavy-handed in places. I like the sparse ending.

Billybehdazz – Anemic kick. Crisp snare. Drums work much better after the bass guitar comes in. Too much Rhodes. I want more bottom here, more oomph. As a result, it feels crowded in upper-mids – like a stereo with the loudness button off.

Electric Warrior – Here we go – some drums with a little whomp to ‘em. Perhaps a bit too much overhead. Crisp snare, meaty kick.  Vocal sits nicely – I like the verb. More subtle Rhodes treatment would be better, but it appears to be overdone in most of these so maybe it’s just me.

slash5969 – This is mine – I recognize the piano fade-in on the left. Meaty bottom. Nice punch. Crisp drums with lotsa snap. Perhaps a bit too much bass guitar in retrospect, although I like the way it punches, fo' sho'. I like the way that pesky Rhodes isn’t the featured track here. I like the faded-in piano in both places, and the sparse ending.

MG Audio – Oh yeah. Solid drums – crisp and punchy. This feels balanced and snappy. Perhaps a bit much cymbal shimmer, but I’m nitpicking.  Vocal sits nicely. I like this mix a lot. Wait. The delay on the acoustic doesn’t work for me, and I don’t dig the Rhodes ending – but those are the only things I’d change.

DCombs – Yes! Solid and balanced, all-around. Drums are right on. Crisp and snappy and make my toes tap. Rhodes isn’t over-the-top. Bass is solid without overpowering. Too much cymbal. Vocals are perfect. Lose the Rhodes ending, tame the cymbal crashes a bit and this is the best mix I’ve heard so far. Nicely done!

T Mueller – Interesting edits, very creative. The very beginning didn’t work for me, but I like the drum stagger before the vocals start.  Bass seems a bit underfed. Drums are crisp – nice snare pop. This feels a bit busy overall, but that may be a product of how different it is from the others and the fact that I’ve listened to this song entirely too many times at this point.

JCMastering – This is understated and a bit dry. It didn’t really work for me until the second time through, when I turned the volume up. Nicely balanced. Drums are punchy and solid. Bass grooves. Rhodes not overdone. Vocal feels sort of… plain.  Not a fan of the Rhodes ending.

Adam Miller – Great drums – in an IMP where most all the drums have been good. I love this snare – crisp and alive.  Nothing fancy here, but everything is balanced and clean. Rhodes is flavor, not meat. Vocal sits nicely in the mix. I don’t like the Rhodes ending, but this is one of the top two or three mixes I’ve heard. Well done!

martthie 08 - Well balanced and solid. Plenty of snap in the drums. Piano is perhaps a little domineering - a little automation would go a long way. Sparse use of the Rhodes tracks - and you know I like that. In fact, I like it all. Nice job!

HIssSound - More bass, please. Good drum sounds. Some pop in the snare - short reverb? Some meat in the kick. I like. Vocal lays in there nicely. A touch less Rhodes on the ending, a tad more bass overall and you're there, I think.

The Dan - Another well balanced mix. Good drums. Too much Rhodes - I didn't hear it as a lead instrument so much. Vocal is maybe a little dry - or is it merely overwhelmed by that Rhodes?

Firefly - Solid. Vocal more up front than most, but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. More bass, please? Less Rhodes through the rebuild while we're at it. I like the understated guitar usage - you don't have to club people over the head with stuff to make a point. *Makes mental note* Not a fan of the Rhodes ending.

J-Texas - Solid and crisp. Nice balanced feel. Snare is a little...immediate - like it's in a room all by itself. Is it a panning thing, or do I just want some reverb depth? I'm not a fan of the Rhodes through the end section.

Grant Richard - I like the punch and snap in the drums. The Rhodes is too prominent for me. I'd like more bass, please. I really like this vocal treatment, it's up front and clear. Shimmering reverb. Interesting use of guitar at the end, but I'm not big on the Rhodes as final statement.

Fiasco - Whaaaaaattt thissssss tuuuuuuuuune ssouuuuuuuundssss liiiiiiike aafterrrrr the quaaaaaaaaaaaalude kiiiiiicksssss iiiiiinnnnnnnn.

osumosan - Balanced and grooving. Crisp drum sounds, perhaps a tad cymbal-heavy in places but it does groove my shoes. Prominent Rhodes. Sparkling vocal - I love the placement you get here. Ack @ the Rhodes outro.

SingSing - Oh yeah - that's a great snare! Meaty kick too. Too much Rhodes for me. It's like a vanilla coke with too  much vanilla in it. The heavily distorted guitar after the breakdown sort of misses too, but I like that it's different after a dozen or so times through this tune.  I like the heartbeat ending.

Colin Larson - Nice pop in the snare. Rhodes stuff is...rounded off? What is that? It works better than the raw tracks, I think, but it's still spice masquerading as meat. I like this one anyway. Breath-y vocal - nice feel there. Piano might be a tad hot through the verses. I like the ending.

Jonah A Kort - What's that rattling in the bass? Too much Rhodes for me, and the abrubt editing doesn't work. Solid drum sounds for the most part. Delayed acoustic doesn't really work, either. There are too many distractions in this mix - anything that draws attention to the cleverness of the mix engineer by extension almost always detracts from the song.

Tricklecharge - Backwards and underwater. I know it's a sample-rate issue, but it's disconcerting. That said, I like the dynamics here. It doesn't pop and groove like I expect it to, and the vocal tuning is much more obvious. This is like playing an old 45 at 33 RPM. Strange distortion at the end passage, but a really cool ending! I would like to hear your mix at the normal sample rate.

TheDan

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »

I don't have time to review separately, but I just wanted to add a few blanket comments.

Mostly, these tracks were pretty much great from the start, so why is there so much "BIGASS DRUMS"? (watch the movie Idiocracy) Really not necessary for the song. The vocal was obviously compressed on the way in or at some point before we got the tracks, so why compress it again? If you need more volume in spots, ride the fader or automate. (that was me being a hypocrite, because I a agree mine was too quiet, and dry Embarassed )

There was a lot of atmosphere to be had with the guitar swells and rhodes things, so all the crazy reverbs and delay things on top of that were kind of unnecessary . I thought all the goodies on some mixes distracted from the simple solidness of the song as a whole.

This is all my opinion of course, and I hope not to offend anyone. This whole thing is just fun, and I want to be involved in the future if I have time.

Quote:

TheDan: Do something to get the vocal a little more out front and this mix would be pretty near perfect

Wow, thanks man!

-Dan

It's all a ride.

Jonah A. Kort

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »

I think Slash doesn't like the Rhodes part Very Happy

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »

slash5969 wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 17:58

Fiasco - Whaaaaaattt thissssss tuuuuuuuuune ssouuuuuuuundssss liiiiiiike aafterrrrr the quaaaaaaaaaaaalude kiiiiiicksssss iiiiiinnnnnnnn.

Good one!

Sorry for all this.
Please, for future review use this download.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/IMP_20_Fiasco_notslow.m p3
Philip

Jonah A. Kort

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »

slash5969 wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 16:58

Jonah A Kort - What's that rattling in the bass? Too much Rhodes for me, and the abrubt editing doesn't work. Solid drum sounds for the most part. Delayed acoustic doesn't really work, either. There are too many distractions in this mix - anything that draws attention to the cleverness of the mix engineer by extension almost always detracts from the song.

Thanks Dave

I still have trouble with bass, but I get better  with each mix.

I like delay a lot. That simple.  I leave it to the artist to tell me that something is detracting from they're song.  I genuinely like the delayed parts, maybe that because I did it, I don't care they still make my heart flutter.

I thought the abrupt editing was badass and thought it added a touch of aggressiveness to make the 2nd verse fresh and interesting.

Thanks about the drums I've been working hard on that.  

-jonah  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.