R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Toft ATB  (Read 19596 times)

rob s

Re: Toft ATB
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 08:34:29 PM »

an 80B doesnt have killer bottom end either, though.

marcel

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 11:27:46 AM »

kats wrote on Sat, 15 November 2008 12:07

I just have to say -

I've done a few more mixes on the Neotek, and I'm REALLY starting to dig it. It's fricken punchy man! Clean, but slammin'.

Hi Tony:

How about expanding on this a bit (obviously in another thread)?  I'd love to hear more about the Neotek as I'm considering a console purchase in the near future.
Best, Marcel

breathe

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Yamaha PM-2000.  I had to let mine go when I moved from Portland to Los Angeles and didn't have any space to install it into, plus I was moving into an ITB mixing setup.  That being said, I had 3 great years with my PM2k, and I think it's an amazing sounding board, every aspect of it.  The EQ, despite what some people say, is reallly awesome and extremely musical.  You can literally boost any frequency as much as you want and it never sounds bad/harsh.  You can crank the gain on the inputs and get beautiful saturation that sounds very similar to tape compression, I used that all the time.  6 aux sends switchable pre/post.  Just a really amazing sounding board, and given the demos I heard of the ATB on the Toft website, the PM2k DESTROYS the ATB, and works for a lot more styles of music than just rock.  The ATB just sounds really flat imo, whereas the PM2k has so much depth.  The only thing I felt I needed to augment my PM2k with is some equalization that had more precision than what the PM2k has.  I found that either the DBX 905 (amazing!) or the EQ built into Samplitude would be able to notch out annoying frequencies and for the broader EQing I would do on the PM2k.

Anyways, I just sold my PM2k in Los Angeles for $3400, in perfect condition.  If the dialogue is about whether you should get a ATB or an Elan, I think it's obvious that the Elan is vastly superior (never heard one but I love the sound of the Neotek Elite).  If you are on a budget however, I don't think the ATB can touch the PM2k.

Nicholas

Kris

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 02:59:21 PM »

Hey Breathe, are you judging/comparing the ATB based on some mp3s you heard on the net?!?!?!  If so you should re-evaluate.

Phil Mayor

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 09:46:47 PM »

Have a listen to the latest Arcade Fire and the Hard-Fi albums, they were major releases that were tracked and mixed on the Toft ATB.

I bought one a couple of months ago to do an album on.

The eq is wonderful on it. Smooth as silk, great controlled bottom end. The build quality and flexibility is stunning for the price. Don't under estimate the pre's, they are nothing to be sniffed at, I certainly prefer them to some SSL desks.

There isnt anything comparable at this price point. Im 100% happy. Customer service is excellent, you can ring Malcolm Toft direct and discuss anything with him. Great guy.

The Elan is much more expensive, $18.5K for 24 channels is it not? I think 'vastly superior' is a little strong. The point is that Malcolm has designed a classic pro-sounding, fuctioning desk for very little money. Once you get to this level 'vast' is how I'd describe the increase in money you have to spend to 'vastly' improve the sound, definitely more than $18.5K anyway.

kats

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 09:16:59 AM »

Phil, I agree with most of your points. One thing I would like to add that a console is not just about sound, it is a tool. Build quality, reliability, and ease of maintenance all come into the picture and play an important role in a pro studio. So while the extra 10 or 20k might not buy you better sound, there are other concerns.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Eric H.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 10:58:23 AM »

Like a better master section?
eric harizanos

Phil Mayor

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 01:37:50 PM »

Hi Tony, yep I'm with you on that. For me it wasn't so much of a concern as it's for my own use and not for clients. Ie not commercial, heavy use.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.