R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do digital recordings sound better on vinyl?  (Read 3615 times)

Glenn Bucci

Re: Why do digital recordings sound better on vinyl?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 04:58:43 PM »

1. What are the quality of the converters of your CD player? This will make a difference right off the bat.
2. If your playback is on the same audio system, what is the quality of your turntable? I have a Dual CS 5000 turntable with a grado cartidge. There is a difference in the sound between my vinyl records of the same music with the CD, but I think Total Sonic answered some of those reasons.

I hope that someday 24 bit DVD audio will be a popular as 24 bit DVD video. It's kills me to reduce the quality of the music just so you can play it on a CD.

TotalSonic

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 05:52:33 PM »

Glenn Bucci wrote on Fri, 24 October 2008 16:58

1. What are the quality of the converters of your CD player? This will make a difference right off the bat.

It will make a big one.  Usually a high quality phono signal path will sound better than a crap DAC!

Quote:

2. If your playback is on the same audio system, what is the quality of your turntable? I have a Dual CS 5000 turntable with a grado cartidge. There is a difference in the sound between my vinyl records of the same music with the CD, but I think Total Sonic answered some of those reasons.

I should note that even if the vinyl was cut with no additional processing (i.e. a true "flat transfer") then there will be differences just because of the technology of analog playback which in some cases might lead to a subjective preference for it even though it is less accurate presentation of the original source (i.e. presence of rumble, wow, flutter, additional cross talk, tracing distortion, etc.).

Quote:

I hope that someday 24 bit DVD audio will be a popular as 24 bit DVD video.

Unfortunately those hopes are completely unfounded as far as I can tell.  The window of opportunity for a high res audio only optical disc format to be a success with consumers was essentially completely over a couple of years ago.  At this point it's a very small niche item that has less market success than even vinyl records, and has showed no significant market growth the last few years.  

I'd say instead efforts by those wishing to distribute music in high res form should be redirected towards coming up with online stores aimed at the audiophile offering 24bit files data compressed in lossless codecs such as ALAC, FLAC or Monkeys Audio.

Quote:

It's kills me to reduce the quality of the music just so you can play it on a CD.

To me if it's done well the true importance of the recording - the ability to communicate an emotion to the listener - does not get lost simply by going from analog and/or 24bit/sample rate of your choice down to 16bit/44.1kHz.

There are indeed even hundreds of CD's which consider leave nothing to desire sonically.  Of course I still have held onto (and expand occasionally) my vinyl record collection!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

cass anawaty

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 07:20:29 PM »

Glenn Bucci wrote on Fri, 24 October 2008 21:58

1.  It's kills me to reduce the quality of the music just so you can play it on a CD.

I just don't think this is the case, especially when you're talking bit depth reduction reducing quality.  What do you think is happening?
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.