R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which preamp for AK47 Telefunken RTF mic?  (Read 18075 times)

pete andrews

Re: Which preamp for AK47 Telefunken RTF mic?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »

Quote:

perhaps the simplest, best answer is +1 at 10k with a shelf? instead of another expensive mic pre

WW just saved you a couple grand. really.

-pete

Trumpetman2

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 08:02:15 AM »

itsapleasure wrote on Mon, 10 November 2008 15:29

those are all good pres.

maybe it's the mic??

I had that mic and found it to be junk.  Sold it cheap real quick.  Bought an M-Audio Sputnik and it runs rings around the AK-47......at 1/3 the cost....go figure!

Strummer

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »

I have one which most of the time goes through a Daking, works well for most things I need, among them acoustic guitar, male vox. Placement rather than eq, you know the story.

Tracks stack nicely

Go figure...

mixwell

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »

Depends what texture your looking to get, versus the way the microphone's amplifier sounds on your source. Matching mics to pres is really as easy to using an XLR wire, as in they are all acceptable in amplifying any microphone. At the end of the day, its really only about texture desired for the sound, or personal preference for the tonality hitting the deck. Sometimes I patch the AK47 right into the recorder, [depending on the app] or right into a compressor and skip the preamp. That microphone has a serious real deal amp circuit, and I personally think it sounds awesome for everything I've tried with it. I think microphone placement will always trump the choice of preamp used. Lately, I've been digging the API 7600 Channel strip with the AK47, as you can bend the ___ out of the tone and come up smelling like roses. I think a lot of people brought up good choices and recommendations to try, but perhaps if NONE of these preamplifier's do the job, you are amplifying the wrong microphone. Its definitely something to think about, as you will find no better EQ/Processor than swapping the microphone out for a better one that gels with the sound/response of the source you are pointing it at. I've been re-discovering why I like the M16 Mk2 for certain applications, opposed to the Ak47.

Paul Gasztold

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »

Update on preamp for AK47

A year after writing my original post:

I'm loving my AK47.  My Avalon 737 sounds absolutely wonderful to my ears with the mic.  

Solution: there was nothing at all wrong in the pre or the mic,
I was looking at the gear for the sound when it needed to come from my voice.  Just looking in the wrong places.

Now I'm loving it the combination.  

Use the UAD fairchild compressor and Princeton Digital Stereo room reverb and I'm loving my voice through this combo.

Thanks everyone who posted.  Much appreciated.

best
Paul

wwittman

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »

mixwell wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 10:41

Matching mics to pres is really as easy to using an XLR wire, as in they are all acceptable in amplifying any microphone. At the end of the day, its really only about texture desired for the sound, or personal preference for the tonality hitting the deck...

"Matching" mics to pres is inherently a ridiculous concept.

It's imaginary thinking.

Paul Gasztold wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 23:56

Solution: there was nothing at all wrong in the pre or the mic,
I was looking at the gear for the sound when it needed to come from my voice.  Just looking in the wrong places.

there you go.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

mixwell

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »

wwittman wrote on Sat, 30 May 2009 11:46

It's imaginary thinking.

Mikes and Pres go together like Pea's and Pod's!

This Imaginary thinking, brought to you by Mixwell.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »

Though I don't speak from vast experience in regard to
mic matching to a preamp or preamp matching to a microphone, I understand that having a number of different preamps to try behind a particular microphone may make the sound that microphone captures quite different than another preamp does and it is then up to the user to decide which sounds best to them for a particular source.You then carve throughout your mix with EQ to get everything in it's proper frequency space? This would slow the mixing process, but isn't this part of the fun?

I also see the point of view of the opposition to this idea of matching microphones to preamps, wherein if I understand correctly, it is suggested to find a single make and model of preamp that you like the sound of generally, and use it on every source you record. If you don't like the sound of a source, then change the microphone positon or get a different mic to use on that source. In the end mixing will be easier somehow. I'm not sure as o why. I'm guessing EQ will be needed much less? This makes mixing all the tracks easier? I certainly see how it would make mixing faster, by not having to go through a bunch of tracks, back and forth, EQing this and that, and back again. A headache?
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

ricknroll

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:41:16 AM »

wwittman wrote on Sat, 30 May 2009 09:46

"Matching" mics to pres is inherently a ridiculous concept.

It's imaginary thinking.

Well, not if you're in the business of selling preamps...

wwittman

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 12:30:01 PM »

exactly

or magazines

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

thedoc

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »

By the time you've tried every possible combination, your artist has died of old age.

Experimenting like that does have some value when starting out and learning but don't subject an artist/victim to that.
Doc

AfSouth

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »

When I got to use the AK47 in the studio on some sessions — I found it solved a lot of problems, and gave a lot of desired characteristics.
The AK47 is not bright.
It's not harsh.
Has great color, and a nice silky sheen across the midrange, with air on top.

Daking was the pre.
chet

cool!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.