R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on size of new mix room  (Read 4560 times)

Ryan Massey

Opinions on size of new mix room
« on: October 18, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »

Howdy folks-
So, after many years of my recording studio sharing a building with my rehearsal business, I am moving all of my rehearsal tenants into a new building adjacent to the current business.  I am going to re-purpose the existing rooms for a number of things, one of which will be my new mix room.  The studio gets quite busy, and it seems silly to tie up such a huge amount of space and gear when I am in mix mode.  I would rather have others tracking in the live room while I am having my fun down the hall.

So, the decision I have to make is this- should I:

A: Use one of the current rooms as-is for my mix room.  The rooms are about 20'x14'10'. OR,

B: Take down one of the partition walls, thereby making a room that is about 28'x20'x10.

I am used to having a fairly spacious control room and I would like the new room to have excellent sound (obviously) and also be comfortable.  I think I could be reasonably comfortable in the smaller room, but I have a gut feeling that the larger room would be easier to treat.  That said, I am just starting to think about this part of the larger project, so I haven't spent time on room mode calcs and so forth just yet.  While the larger space is tempting, it costs me more money each month in lost rent, and with studio income being what it is, that is a bit of a hard pill to swallow.  Still, I would like to do this just once, and not have regrets about cheaping out.

Anyways, any input would be appreciated.  Cheers,
Ryan
   =www.sharkbitestudios.com=

sui-city

Re: Opinions on size of new mix room
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »

I am sure that the distinguished gentlemen on this board will give you a better answer, but from a ratios perspective, you have a few good options available to you.

IIRC i believe that there is a point where size trumps ratio. i.e. A large room would always be better than a small room, even one with good dimensions.

From a VERY brief glance, 22' x 16' x 10' "looks" like it could sound good. But that is just theory.

good luck no matter how you decide to proceed.

Ryan Massey

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »

Thanks for the input!
I'm going to start drawing up some sketches and will do some room calcs today- from the couch whilst watching football.  It will almost make the day seem productive!  

sui-city

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:23:36 PM »

Ryan,

Just to give you some extra reading, here is a great thread.

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3148

apologies to PSWians and FranMan for linking to another forum.

Ethan Winer

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »

Ryan Massey wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 20:15

A: Use one of the current rooms as-is for my mix room. The rooms are about 20'x14'10' ... I think I could be reasonably comfortable in the smaller room, but I have a gut feeling that the larger room would be easier to treat ... While the larger space is tempting, it costs me more money each month in lost rent

I usually suggest larger rather than smaller, but you say lost rent is an issue. The small room is definitely large enough for good results, and will actually be cheaper to treat because it has half as much surface area. If it were me I'd use the smaller room, and put half of what you gain in rent into more bass traps.

--Ethan

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »

Ryan,

Are you planning on re-working on the geometry of the room? This is a very important factor in a control room. And it does eat up a lot of space.

Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

brett

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »

I have a 14'x10'x8' room and my mixes are transalting. I have 2'x4'x4" pannels all around and a cloud. With proper treating you could easily get a 20'x14'x10' foot room in excelent shape for mixing.

Fig

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 02:48:18 PM »

Hi,

I realize your question stems from an acoustic point-of-view, but from a practical point-of-view - don't forget to figure out traffic patterns and seating arrangements for the size of groups (and their girlfriends!) that you expect to work with.  Also make sure all your intended gear can fit "comfortably", too.

Long ago Eddie Kramer told my partner to build the control room "as large as possible".  His motivation was for comfortable accomodation of the attended sessions.

Our control room can comfortably seat 9 persons within the stereo image and any one of them could stand up and leave the room (through either of the four exits) without blocking others' listening experiences.

We have 120 rack spaces of outboard and not one is in the stereo field (nor is the 2" machine for that matter).

$0.02,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »

Braggart.    Very Happy

Fig

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 05:29:31 PM »

Yeah, funny.

I heard it ain't braggin' when its true.   Twisted Evil
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Ryan Massey

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 11:16:59 PM »

Thanks for all of the pointers, guys.  I've definitely decided to build the room out to the larger size.  The lost rent is an issue, but I want this room to be a place I still enjoy working in ten years from now, so I'd best get it right.  Fig, your point about client comfort, as well as gear, is well taken.  While I tend to spend a good deal of time mixing on my own, clients are a consideration, as are other engineers, who may sometimes use the room.

As for the room geometry, I am willing to alter it to best suit my needs both ergonomically, as well as acoustically.  I'm already going to be taking down a partition wall, as well as a layer of homosote (crappy brown fibrous "sound-board")- so I figure I might as well go for the gold and build the room right.  

When I get a moment away from the current construction project, I'll try to sketch up the space.  I need to take some measurements to make sure they are actually what I see on the old plans for the place too.  

Thanks again for the input!
Ryan

franman

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »

I agree that these days (especially) the control room can't be too large. I would spend my time working the ratios to find the best possible modal response... Unless you are planning on large in-wall main monitors a rectangular room that is properly treated can serve you quite well. Early reflection control is easily attained. With free-standing monitors you also have the advantage of being able to move your speakers around to find the best SBI solution. (Speaker Boundary Interference)...

There's nothing room with non-rectangular room geometry and we use it all the time when it's appropriate. It will cost more and it will eat up space... Many times, I would rather see a rectangular room that is properly trapped with good, deep corner traps, etc.. Good room proportions and proper bass trapping will go a long way towards giving you an low freq accurate room which is the hardest part to get right in our business!!

Then, deal with the early reflections, add some diffusion, etc. and start mixing!!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.