R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 100,000 in St Louis  (Read 6325 times)

jimlongo

100,000 in St Louis
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »

A crowd of 100,00 (police estimate) turned out to hear Obama in St Louis today, Kansas City tonight.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/10/obam a_draws_record_crowd_in_st.html

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/100000_people.ht ml?showall

index.php/fa/10193/0/

Barry Hufker

Re: 100,000 in St Louis
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:17:18 PM »

Being from STL, I'd like to think we're representative of the rest of the state - but we're not.  Get outside the cities and it is a different country.  Obama needs Missouri's small towns.  He already has the cities.

jimlongo

80k in Denver
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »

just wanted to share this amazing photo
index.php/fa/10194/0/

jimlongo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 14:17

Being from STL, I'd like to think we're representative of the rest of the state - but we're not.  Get outside the cities and it is a different country.  Obama needs Missouri's small towns.  He already has the cities.

Hopefully the trend will continue in Missouri
 http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/mo/mi ssouri_mccain_vs_obama-545.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/18/us/politics/18missouri.htm l?pagewanted=1&ref=todayspaper

Daniel Farris

Re: 80k in Denver
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:42:35 PM »

jimlongo wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 11:36

just wanted to share this amazing photo
index.php/fa/10194/0/

That is amazing... and I hope there is someone whose only job is to keep the candidate himself from seeing photos like this.

DF

RSettee

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 02:44:49 PM »

That picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words. And i'd tend to think that Obama has a much better contingent of supporters who are more broad minded than the narrow minded racist supporters that rally behind John McCain. It's not just McCain that scares me about his policies of basically saying that there's no end in sight for the war; it's the fact that he'll empower the wrong ideals of people that make me think that, had that been a photo of McCain standing down on that podium below those thousands of supporters, that i'd be thinking that the US is a scarier place than I initially thought it was with every second yahoo owning a gun. Basically, it would be like watching a movie where the bad guy wins, and that's never fun when it's real life.

Photos like this are evidence that the US is on the right track. Truth be told, the wind was taken out of my sails for caring for US politics after Bush got re-elected. There were alot of bands and people rallying to get Bush out of office (how much bigger a statement could you get than Neil Young's "Let's Impeach The President"?) and they got the wind knocked out of their sails too, when they realized how powerless that they were against the big corporations and major hitters in the American economy basically ensuring that Bush got in for a second term.

I'm still guessing that the big capitalist regime doesn't want Obama in there, because it means more equality for everyone. And the big economy that benefits only those at the top have never liked a democracy.

The pictures don't lie. If Obama doesn't win this one, i've lost all faith in the US' system, right down to who supposedly won the vote.

PookyNMR

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »

RSettee wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 12:44

Photos like this are evidence that the US is on the right track.

No.  It's just that there are plenty of folks who are choosing the lesser of two evils.
Nathan Rousu

RSettee

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »

PookyNMR wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 14:38

No.  It's just that there are plenty of folks who are choosing the lesser of two evils.

To me, a win is a win, however you slice it. A backhanded compliment vote to keep another person out is still a vote in the right direction. I don't doubt that there's equally, if not better qualified non-running candidates. I also don't doubt that there's some that are reluctantly voting for Obama--hence the racist people who are actually going to vote for him because they believe he has the best policies, and Republican supporters voting for him just because the Republican party has turned into a shambles.

But i'd like to know who you think would do a better job, if this were as they say a "ideal scenario". It could be that Obama looks so good, just because McCain (especially, moreso, Palin) look that bad. I wish that we had more of a choice--in any election, more choices are better for the public--but I do really like Obama, and think that he'd look great against any other choices. He seems more proactive than reactive....McCain/ Palin's slant has largely been reactive, they're on the defensive--and rightly so, after the Republicans' dismantlement of the American economy and trust--but I still don't like what they've had to say. If you could sum up McCain/ Palin's main ideals and cut through the yadda yadda, you'd hear this, ultimately:

"well folks, we're running for 4 more years of the same!" (add Palin's lilting "mom gone mad 'wake up, it's time for school!' " upper register shriek to rally the unconverted).

John Ivan

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »

PookyNMR wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 15:38

I happen to disagree with this very strongly. I think we lucked out. I think this Barack cat is an above average person who will prove to be the best choice out of everyone who ran this year from all parties..

There's something in this guy that we just don't see very often..

My 2 cents.

Ivan.................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Barry Hufker

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 04:34:42 PM »

I've said before Barak Obama is not progressive enough for me.  But I do believe he is the most intelligent politician, in a very long time, we've had running for president, who can actually win.

He is certainly not the lesser of two evils.  John McCain is two evils and Obama at worst is a positive.  While I wish things were different, Obama could be a very great president and could stand up there with Washington, Lincoln...

Missouri: It seems to me Missouri has always been a divided state between North and South.  In the Civil War it was especially true.  But I do remember at time (as a kid) when Missouri was thought of as a Democratic state.  But that was before Civil Rights...

MDM,

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »

barry, intelligence is not beneficial for a politician, necessarily.. Very Happy

being stong-willed pragmatic and uncorruptable to me are more productive traits.

intelligence and charm are good qualities, but when you look at what's missing in politics, it's not technical ability..
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

John Ivan

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »

MDM, wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 17:36

barry, intelligence is not beneficial for a politician, necessarily.. Very Happy

being stong-willed pragmatic and uncorruptable to me are more productive traits.

intelligence and charm are good qualities, but when you look at what's missing in politics, it's not technical ability..

I know this isn't addressed to me but,,

I'll leave my pet definition of "intelligence" out of it for the moment and simply say that I believe Obama to be the least corruptible politician we've seen in quite some time. This has to do with where he came from and how he got where he is..

It's a huge accomplishment by any measure and I think he understands his own good fortune, and is only hopeful that others get to achieve what he has, in their own way..

I hope I'm right.

Ivan..............
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Larrchild

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »

MDM, while you do make a point, there is a minimum threshold for IQ that I feel has not been met in many cases in this administration. And this is due to partisan appointments based on faith, and cronyism.
That is very corrosive to the function of govt.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Hallams

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »

jimlongo wrote on Sun, 19 October 2008 05:07

A crowd of 100,00 (police estimate) turned out to hear Obama in St Louis today, Kansas City tonight.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/10/obam a_draws_record_crowd_in_st.html

index.php/fa/10193/0/

You would need a good PA system to cover that crowd!
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

grantis

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 06:54:16 PM »

Hallams wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 17:51

jimlongo wrote on Sun, 19 October 2008 05:07

index.php/fa/10193/0/

You would need a good PA system to cover that crowd!

Or a long series of people who have great memory and can yell really loud.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.