R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I do believe a PSW member wants to sue me.  (Read 27912 times)

compasspnt

Re: I do believe a PSW member wants to sue me.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »

I prefer all of this not be here at WW.

Gentlemen, and others, to the Saloon.

John Ivan

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »

Fiasco wrote on Tue, 14 October 2008 19:58

Barry, I am not worried about it, more saddened and a little outraged.

Perhaps Bill is right, a hoax.

Either way threats are not treated lightly on my end.

No, I don't think it's a hoax.. A joke? Yes. But based on my experience the first time around. The subject in question was not kidding.

Funny? Kinda. Maybe. We'll see.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

McAllister

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »

Terry,

While this is indeed odious, can we keep it here? The ugly side of this business has less power when it's exposed to sunlight.

Though I totally understand the desire to shunt this sort of crap to another place.

Thanks

M

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

danickstr

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 08:35:38 PM »

I vote move it, just because it is not really news yet, until you get a subpoena from a marshall.  But interesting reading. I can read it in the saloon, though.   Smile
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Chris Ilett

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 08:39:57 PM »

If I ever knew the internet was available to the public, I'd never have posted those photo's of my gems.

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 08:57:04 PM »

This is very interesting...  I have a feeling it would get thrown out of court anyway... Wouldn't posting the contract in any form on a public forum violate client confidentiality?  If anything, I would expect the band to sue the poster for breech of confidentiality and malicious intent.  

Imagine if someone from a label like Jive posted the contract from one of their artist like Justin Timberlake on a forum in a similar fashion... The artist would sue the $$$ out of the poster.

This sounds like a hoax/joke.  Honestly, if the poster was taking this seriously he would contact an entertainment attorney to help draft the contract.  Being an attorney himself, he would know that working in criminal law, family law, personal injury law and insurance law DOES NOT make someone qualified to draft contracts pertaining to copyright, intellectual property and entertainment law.

Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

John Ivan

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 09:38:29 PM »

If this is a hoax or a joke, it's gone on for a long long time..

I had a long exchange with the potential plaintiff and made it very clear to him that he had no idea at all, about "how this is done" and he insisted on calling the bands in question "His Artists". I'm really quite sure that he was being serious at the time. If he sent Philip a notice via e-mail claiming he would name him in a law suit, then he's more of a hack than I originally thought..

He asked a group of professionals their opinion about a contract that he claimed he would be asking artists to sign. The verdict was that we all, for the most part, found it to be the most unfair thing we had ever seen. Someone, according to him, contacted some of these artists and pointed out that there was a person at PSW claiming he would be offering certain artists a contract that the professional community had dismissed as unfair and that they should be aware of this. The potential plaintiff then started to threaten me and others with a Lawsuit, or Lawsuits..

I believe this person is a Lawyer. I also believe he is an idiot and doesn't know much about entertainment Law and for the most part should be dismissed as a hack who is out to steal other peoples intellectual property..

But this is just my opinion based on what he has said publicly about his intentions. Even though he has claimed that he knew all along that he would never offer such a contract to any artist, I think he was being less than truthful about this. I think it's likely that he would have in fact offered the contract outlined in the links provided above {see Fiascos/Philips original post} and that this is a good enough reason for me to never do business with him.

I also believe it is lawful to make his public postings known to whomever one chooses.

Ivan................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

John Ivan

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »

dguidry wrote on Tue, 14 October 2008 18:40

....just like attracting flies to rotting flesh.  Ya'll are just too easy.

I'm wondering what you mean by this.. Do you mean we find typing easy? Do you call everyone "Ya'll"?

Is it sort of like what McCain said yesterday? "We've got them right where we want them"

Did you expect that we would not comment? Do you feel powerful and influential because YOU got a response?

So many questions.

Ivan...........

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 09:57:37 PM »

if he is serious, then he really isn't a very good attorney!  Turning to a forum of sound engineers for legal advice BEFORE turning to entertainment lawyers within his own Bar association in these matters is not good business practice, and honestly I wonder if that could get him disbarred.

This reminds me of the time a wealthy real estate mogul wanted to get into the music Biz.  So he hired me and a friend to produce these rappers he "found".  After six songs he handed us a production agreement, which was so "wrong" in every sense of the word, our entertainment attorney spit out his coffee laughing as he started reading it.  Apparently, this person's real estate lawyer drafted the production agreement!  Some people just don't get it...

Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

J.J. Blair

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 01:56:13 AM »

I'm just glad that for a change, the person being threatened with a lawsuit is not me.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

mgod

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »

John Ivan wrote on Tue, 14 October 2008 17:02

Much to my horror, when I got home, I realized I had filed a Lawsuit against myself! It wasn't easy, but I got me to drop the case against me.. It was, well, just weird.

Sounds like Barry Womble.

As to this "threat", it might help to remember that the Interwebs does tend to expose people's mental issues. Of course, so do courts of "law."

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Tom L

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 12:24:12 PM »

Much to my horror, when I got home, I realized I had filed a Lawsuit against myself! It wasn't easy, but I got me to drop the case against me.. It was, well, just weird.

It must have still cost you a fortune in legal fees, unless of course you represented yourselves.

Bill Mueller

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »

Tom L wrote on Wed, 15 October 2008 12:24

It must have still cost you a fortune in legal fees, unless of course you represented yourselves.

Puleeeze!

That would be crazy! Shocked

Everyone knows you should NEVER represent yourselves in court.

Best regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

John Ivan

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Wed, 15 October 2008 12:36

Tom L wrote on Wed, 15 October 2008 12:24

Puleeeze!

That would be crazy! Shocked

Everyone knows you should NEVER represent yourselves in court.

Best regards,

Bill

Yeah guys, and that's what we both said in the end..

As for the "Interwebnets". It does tend to show what's really going on on the extreme end of peoples minds. This is only true if they are not careful though. One CAN decide to not expose this.. Not that I would have any idea Confused  But I'm learning.. Cool

Ivan.............

rankus

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »

John Ivan wrote on Tue, 14 October 2008 18:38

I also believe it is lawful to make his public postings known to whomever one chooses.

Ivan................

CASE CLOSED - John wins

And I am ashamed of myself for once defending the plaintive publicly... I take it back. (I once appealed to everyone to stop hassling him as I thought he had learned his lesson... obviously NOT)

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.